Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,088
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (LANGSTER, Sunil, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371, Augie, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, PRCS, Theo Gallus), 746 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
I was curious since I sell both..... the thought process that goes into the purchase of these. Advantages and disadvantages of each. Please let me know your thoughts. I do know the underwater lights are more than the bojo lights that I sell. Also anyone ever compared bojo to other brand "bug lights". Or also comparison of the underwater lights. Thanks in advance for comments.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I know I wish I had both.. For me id be going with the underwater light just because its alot cooler to look at in the dark.. The bojo's cool but not at all as cool as something lighting up your pond under your dock.. Just my opinion even though I don't own one but maybe someday..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Thanks BGK, any others have thoughts? I'm reserving my thoughts until the end.

Last edited by Greg Grimes; 07/10/13 09:24 AM.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I would think both are more for viewing and fun than they are for function..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Bruce has both. I've never seen the bug light do anything when I've been out there, but I can attest to the cool factor of the Green Monster.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I agree that the underwater light looks cool, but in my area I wonder how long I would be able to enjoy it? For instance, right now my water looks about like chocolate milk....typical summer bloom in our ponds, with visibility around 22", and I can't imagine the combination of green light and brown water would be all that attractive.

So I guess that tips the scale in favor of the Bojo, for me at least. I do wonder just how much additional food the Bojo can provide, however.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
O
O
When I read the thread title I saw BUD LIGHT and thought to myself, BEST THREAD EVER!!!!

Only to my disappointment...

As for lights...I think the Green Monster would be a great addition to my pond if I could bring myself to put electricty in the water...As mentioned in a couple of other threads, my boys are in the pond all the time and I just can't get past 220v in there...

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
I have both the Bojo and the Green Monster Underwater light. The underwater one is in about 4 feet of water right under the Bojo which is mounted on a corner of the dock. Both come on at dark and the small bugs gather around the Bojo and eventually get struck by the spinning mono and fall into the water. I see quite a few very small fish and an occasional bluegill in the water waiting for the bugs to hit. However I don't feel it is all that effective in either keeping the bugs down, or feeding the fry. It does create quite a mess around the light because the spiders build webs every night. Both are fun to have and a conversation starter but I can't really determine if they help that much in pond management.

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Originally Posted By: outdoorlivin247
When I read the thread title I saw BUD LIGHT and thought to myself, BEST THREAD EVER!!!!

Only to my disappointment...

As for lights...I think the Green Monster would be a great addition to my pond if I could bring myself to put electricty in the water...As mentioned in a couple of other threads, my boys are in the pond all the time and I just can't get past 220v in there...

I saw the same thing. Guess we know what's on our minds. I have one in my hand sitting water side at my time share. I have to say though. Way better fishing at home.

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
O
O
Which lake is your time share on?...Way to many down there to even begin to guess...

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Lost Valley Lake

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
My Bud light lime is green also.

B
Fingerling
Fingerling
B
Hello all,
Can't help myself. I feel the need to reply.
I suppose it depends on what you want, and where you are. If you merely want to see and view the fish and don't mind the extra money, by all means, buy the "cool" underwater lights. I'm not sure what benefit they have during the times you cannot see in the water yourself. I fertilize regulary, and only about 18" of water is visible. Not a lot to see. In my opinion, this adds absolutly nothing to the food chain. Does anybody believe otherwise?
Bug lights, under similar conditions, do not offer any more visibility, but they do add something to the food chain. I don't believe they are intended to take the place of or be the only source of food, but can anyone disagree that they do not add some value to fish?

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
I have neither and have seen neither. However I have fished with lights both floating and underwater.

Lights in the water attract (or so I am told and it makes sense) the tiny stuff that keeps Bill Cody awake nights. That brings small fish that eat the bugs/"minnows" and the bigger fish to eat the littler ones.

I can't believe that the bug lights can compete with pellets as nutrition. How much nutrition can a bug really provide?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
I hoped for some more input on the subject and really hoped someone that had one of the products would chime in and answer why they bought it.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Seems like Bings the only one.. Whatcha gettin at Greg I'm interested smile

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

B
Fingerling
Fingerling
B
I have had both, still have bug lights working, disappointed in underwater lights with fertilizer and/or anything less than clear water; don't use underwater anymore.
Ya'll won't believe this and I would not have until I tried it. I took 30 feet of black plastic pipe and made a 10' diameter boomerang out of it. Tied this to the dock under the bug light. 3 hours later you could not put a pencil eraser in the circle without touching what I think was mosquitoes. The next morning they were gone. I then took white sheets an the bank and did the same thing. The bugs were still on the sheet the next morning. I think this proves the fish ate the bugs. Density of the bugs vary every night, but not sure enough credit is being given to bug lights

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Florida has a lot of bugs
I'm getting a bojo first

My kids would love the coolness of the green giant, as bugdet allows, that's next.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If I were to look at putting both on my pond, I'd go with the Bojo first.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
D
D
I'd go Bojo first, but both are cool for docks. I've caught many fish (bluegill, bass, and crappie) right next to Bojo's on a local 80 acre golf course pond.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I have a Wil-O-Wisp from Fresh Flow I bought years ago. Bill Cody has one too. Saw lots of small fish feed on bugs under it but the large bluegills didn't seem interested. I've since disconnected the fan that blows the insects on the water and use it to feed train yellow perch fingerlings.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 07/13/13 09:22 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

G
G
I agree, the activity around an underwater light would be interesting to observe. However, I think that a bug light could add substantial forage to a pond. Depending of course, on the season, and the availability of bugs in the area.

From what I've read, many insects are very nutritious, even for human consumption. It's said, they can provide substantial amounts of protein, iron, calcium, and other essential minerals and vitamins. There are about 1,400 species of edible insects in the world, and nearly 3,000 ethnic groups worldwide that currently feast on them.

Theoretically, insects can be farmed far more efficiently than beef, pork, poultry, fish, or even agriculture crops. They may very well be a vital food source in the future for a growing human population.

Just imagine: A McBeetle Burger, or Kentucky Fried Crickets. Wait! How about a WhataBugger....... Would you like flies with that order?

Bugs In Your Teeth

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Guess Greg gave up on this thread..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: outdoorlivin247
would be a great addition to my pond if I could bring myself to put electricty in the water...my boys are in the pond all the time and I just can't get past 220v in there...

outdoorlivin I would say like you I am a bit wary of electric in water....
but I wonder if a GFCI plug would make the risk near
non-existent?

Would you also be afraid of a diffuser or is shock
impossible with an aeration system?

Do you know if most of the underwater lights are all 220V?

I think they look really cool.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

L
L
In either case, I wont be getting one until they are solar powered, or making a solar one myself. LEDs are born for underwater lighting as their low voltage and high output at specific wavelengths. You can even get some pretty good blue and ultraviolet LEDs and make a solar BOJO. If either company want me to design something like that, PM me. I think it is very viable and safe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 03:32 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday