Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
1 members (anthropic), 750 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
My HSB and BG had been feeding well up until 4 days ago when they shut down almost like a light switch. I feed at the same times twice a day, 6am and 8pm.

With getting some great input from local PB'rs (due to same weather patterns) we were trying to ascertain why, and here were some thoughts:
1. With water warm-up and sudden clarity (12" to 40") the bigger largemouth may be feeding on the "feeders".
2. The aglae bloom may be dying off causing a DO sag (although I do aerate)
3. Herbicide drift from farmer spraying the week before (likely Roundup)
4. Possible mayfly hatch offering plenty of groceries

Then I got to thinking about the DO level in the pond, yet I have no way to measure it. The only vegetation in the pond is Coontail which I treated with Fluridone 4 weeks ago. So with no plants to put off oxygen during the day (yet also none to consume after dark), is it possible I have a very low level of DO?

After 4 weeks of Fluridone the CT is dying off and I'm thinking it may be decomposing and consuming even MORE DO.

So about 6:30 last night I set the blades on the trolling motor just below the water's surface and circled the pond to introduce some oxygen.

When I went out to feed at 8pm, the HSB were hammering the food like I've never seen before.

Direct correlation or just coincidence?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited by Lovnlivin; 06/19/13 10:22 AM.

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
OP Offline
Unusual not to have a response after 2 days but maybe my question did not merit one.

I'll restate as I got very concerned that the water clarity increased dramatically (12" to 40" in just a few days) and my HSB and BG just stopped feeding for 4 days,,,,, until I "churned" the water (to add O2) with my trolling motor (read above for the results of that).

I was one that was under the impression that my 4 double-diffusers (Vertex) were adding a great deal of DO, yet after reading this (and many aeration threads) I really started to wonder just how much DO was actually being added:
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Bottom diffusers lift water allowing it to be exposed to air. During that proces that water is exposed to less pressure which allows it to off gas the bad stuff. While at the surface it is also allowed to pickup some O2.

Meanwhile, the water that was at the surface when this started will be circulated towards the bottom introducing some more O2 to the lower levels which is beneficial.

Surface aerators add far more O2 (due to the added agitation and air exposure) to the surface water and starts a circulation process that will also move saturated water to lower levels.

So in short:

bottom diffusers = water movement to surface
Surface aerators = O2 injections to the top water and circulation.

Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
You are spot on Highflyer! I get so tired of people calling diffusers "aerators."

I've been churning twice a day (couple hours before feeding times) when possible since they resumed feeding and they are hammering the food!

So to my original question; is there a direct correlation between my "aerating" (churning with tolling motor) and the fish feeding again, meaning I may have some serious DO issues?

Thanks in advance for any feedback grin

(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Lunker
Lunker
Keith, hard to say what is going on, there are a lot of variables and unknowns to consider but DO sags in general will shut feeding off.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I agree with what Shorty said, especially with no way to measure the O2 levels. Without a way to measure, you're just guessing that O2 is the problem.

I notice in my pond, that if I throw out feed at an unusual time, it'll lay there for a while until one or two fish find it and start splashing. I think the sound traveling thru the water attracts the fish, and more come to the "dinner bell".

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
OP Offline
Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately it is a complete guess without knowing the level(s) of DO frown . Feeding at the same times everyday and just shutting down I was at a loss.

So if I can switch gears a bit, regarding the amount of O2 being added by the diffusers, am I correct now in thinking that they're not adding "much" but more of just distributing it?

And if I am adding O2 by the "churning", I know it's also a guess as to how much I'm adding and how long it remains in the BOW. With no vegetation, and on the contrary the CT likely using what's there to decompose from the Fluridone treatment, it would be wise to continue the churning until it can be tested?

Sorry for all the questions but my understanding is that the more O2 in the BOW, the faster the decomposition (of CT and muck) and the healthier the fish.

So two more questions if I can grin

1. If not by the diffusers, or vegetation (including a bloom), or any wave action (even in 40 mph winds at my pond), is there any other way water is "oxygenated" naturally?

2. I've seen DO meters at and under $200 online. Is there a PB recommended "economy" meter that is, at best, reliable?

Thanks again,

Keith

PS - I'm at my pond everyday and pretty much obsessed (maybe overly passionate) with this pond and pond/fishery management . I have a lot invested (time and $$$) and want to do the best job I can do with it, within reason of course.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
This may not answer all the questions but here's some info anyways. The bottom diffusers don't add a lot of O2 to the water themselves. What they do is bring up water that normally doesn't see contact with the air to the surface, and when it does, the water collects (lack of a better term right now) O2 from the air. The more water that comes into contact with the air, the more O2 is transferred.

Small bubbles in a bottom diffuser lifts more water to the surface than large bubbles.

As for a meter, look on e-bay. I think anything made by YSI would work. I would call their technical department or their service department with the specific model that is up for auction to see how much membranes are, and if it's not working, what the fix would cost. Some things that you need to know about the water being tested is altitude, temperature and salinity.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: esshup
As for a meter, look on e-bay. I think anything made by YSI would work. I would call their technical department or their service department with the specific model that is up for auction to see how much membranes are, and if it's not working, what the fix would cost. Some things that you need to know about the water being tested is altitude, temperature and salinity.

Unless it's that beneficial to have one, maybe I'll just let nature (or the fish) tell me when the DO's low wink . I think I'm to the point where I know more of what to look for in a DO sag, or drop.

Or if it seems to be that much of an issue, look into a surface aerator and be done with it! Any added O2 has to help! (although I did find out it's very stressful on the trolling motor to run the prop half out of the water crazy )

Thanks again!

Keith

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Maybe to much treatment of water? I can't beleive with 4 vertex fusers running you have a D.O. issue?? How big is your pond? Do you run your air 24/7 ?

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
OP Offline
Hey RC,

The only chemical treatment I've used is Fluridone 7-4-12 and 5-23-13. No other treatment or chemical has been used. And with Fluridone being a 45-90 day slow-kill, I have to side with Shorty and Esshup on the [likely] DO sag.

I think it's too cooincidental that a week after the farmer sprayed Roundup on a very windy day (all drifting towards the pond), the bloom disappeared and feeding shut down. I doubt my "churning" of the trolling motor twice a day made a difference but they resumed feeding, the bloom is now back and they're feeding ferociously!

Pond is 2 acres, 5-6 acre feet and yes it runs 24/7.

Keith

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
With what you note - it could easily be low DO. That can shut down feeding and a lot more. So can high water temps.

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: ewest
With what you note - it could easily be low DO. That can shut down feeding and a lot more. So can high water temps.

Then we'll throw that in too, Ewest grin As right now the whole pond feels like bathwater! 87 at the surface, 84 at 3' deep. We've been in the upper 90's for several days, 97 and dead calm today. With the heat of summer yet to begin!

I'm just amazed at the changes that can take place in a pond from week to week, and sometimes day to day! Such as yesterday (and weeks prior) the CT was all submerged. Today, it was all floating and a film-like substance was covering the pond (97 today and dead calm). And my water clarity went from 12" to 42" and now to 24" all in about 10 days. Yesterday I had family over and the pond was beautiful. Today, not so much!

So every day I learn something new but have more questions to ask as I'm so intrigued by all this and want to know how it all works! I've learned a ton in just 1 year, thanks to PB smile

You've all been so great (and patient) with me but I promise I will ease up on all the questions, progresses and updates!

Yet, continue to learn wink

Thanks,

Keith

Last edited by Lovnlivin; 06/26/13 11:42 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails