Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,811
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
5 members (esshup, Fishingadventure, John Fitzgerald, Bill Cody, Waxaholic), 1,116 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Had to get up this morning at 4:30 A.M. to turn on a surface aerator as my perch fry production pond is going crazy with an algae bloom at a clarity of 8 inches (no fertilization for at least a month). This happened last year too around this time when temps climb and it causes hopoxia in the am hours.

I would have just turned it on at night but I already have two lights for feed training and a diffuser compressor on the same circuit at night and prefer to pull them at 4:30 A.M. and then crank on the surface aerator, which is when it's needed.

Anyway didn't sleep well that night either and decided to crawl back in bed on Sunday morning at 4:45. At 6 A.M. I wake up to a crop duster flying back and forth in the farm field across the highway. And let me tell you it's not quiet.

Would it be to much to ask not to make noise worse than a lawnmower at 6 A.M. on a Sunday morning? Or am I over the top? Jeeze Louise who works at 6 A.M. on Sunday morning?

Thoughts?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 06/23/13 07:33 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Crop dusters are often not your normal sort... Maybe trying to avoid calls saying "I got sprayed"? Not many people out and about at that time.

Last edited by RAH; 06/23/13 08:12 AM.
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Could be worse! BNSF RR has a major North and South bound two track crossing at the end of my drive way. Its harvest time and for the next three months grain car trains will BLAST them huge horns ALL night and day at the crossing.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
When there's a short window to work, you work all the hours that you can! It's calm out first thing in the morning too, so less spray drift due to wind.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Fine I'll get my AAA set up and that will be the end of that.

grin

I need to remove it from my boat from using it against jet skis first. Might take a little time. By that time the little yellow bastard will probably be gone.

I emailed in a complaint to my Sheriff's department. Probably shouldn't have but when I don't get my sleep I'm grouchy!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 06/23/13 08:26 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

F
F
Boy, sounds like your allergies, meds, and such is REALLY making you cranky, eh?

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
PTSD?

J
J
Careful Cecil, that will have the Feds knocking on your door! The FAA does not take that lightly!

Concerning the rude awakening, it's a pain I know I grew up in the household of a cropduster. There was no such thing as "Sunday morning".

I don't know the recent weather conditions, or what crop he was spraying. But My dad would be out at the ass crack of dawn for several reasons.

Depending on the pest being treated, many times there is a short window of opportunity for the treatment to be effective. So his window is short forcing him to work early. Wind and air is also a factor. The air is best in the early a.m. Many times we'd be out at sunrise, and the air turning to crap by 9 a.m. So had we not been out early, you get the picture.

Not all cropdusters are like the guy in Independence Day. Chances are he wasn't trying to be sneaky....... the sound always gives you away. Very difficult to tip-toe with a 300 h.p. plus engine with straight pipes!

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer.
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I would give the crop duster a pass.....it's a lot different from the guy with the noisy lawnmower....he mows every week, while the crop duster is once, maybe twice?

I do agree on having respect and consideration for one's neighbors. I don't run equipment at the shop after hours or early in the morning, despite being zoned for commercial use. But a crop duster? Like Scott said, there's a tiny window of opportunity there.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Tony, that's why I don't do any shooting here before 10:00 a.m. and usually give all the neighbors (that are nice and considerate back - what comes around, goes around) a heads up before a trigger is squeezed, or any loud noises happen.

The last time, I texted my neighbor, but they weren't home. Their daughter-in-law was at their house and about jumped out of her shorts tho. grin That was around 3:00 p.m. and a friend of a friend had to dispose of a firework he had. It was an 8" mortar.........

Brian, the neighbor across the street, was in his garage, roughly 200+ yds away. He said the stuff on the garage walls rattled pretty good. grin

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
O
O
You can't just buy an 8" mortar over the counter!!!

I still have my pyrotechnics license even though I have not done a show in over 2 years..

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: JamesBryan
Careful Cecil, that will have the Feds knocking on your door! The FAA does not take that lightly!

You really think anyone would take my post seriously? I would have access to a AAA gun and I shoot at jet skiers with it? Seriously?

As far as the complaint I doubt it would go anywhere. If a call about drag racing on the adjoining road gets me referred to the county by the local police, and then the county refers me back to the local police... Well let's just say I'm probably on a list of whiners. Funny neither have problems giving tickets on each other's terf.

I was concerned someone was going to get hurt with the drag racing whether it was the drag racer or someone who just happened to turn on that road, but apparently it wasn't a concern to the cops.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: fish n chips
Boy, sounds like your allergies, meds, and such is REALLY making you cranky, eh?

Actually no. Stopped taking the meds as I'm not having issues after the last heavy rain. I'm just cranky when I can't get my sleep. grin

D
D
Before I make any phone calls I grab a snickers first then I think about the other guys and why they are doing what they are doing right now. Then if I am still over the top with rage I make a phone call.

Crop dusting has a very narrow window and early morning or early evening is the best and only time to spray. They are loud. Kinda like a flying dump truck. Should have been done in an hour and you may not see or hear him again all year.

If it was a Sunday morning every Sunday for a month then I would be kinda pissed and have to talk to the farm owner.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
J
J
Sorry Cecil! I didn't take you seriously. But the world we live in, Just sayin'. I received a few phone calls in my younger years, with people saying they were going to fling lead at the "little blue and white bastard". Now I'm sure they were not serious as no lead was actually flung. But after making one little phone call, the joke was over for them!

I was just trying to give a polite heads up. I did not mean to offend you, but since you called my post to the carpet....

Last edited by JamesBryan; 06/23/13 02:16 PM.

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: JamesBryan
Sorry Cecil! I didn't take you seriously. But the world we live in, Just sayin'. I received a few phone calls in my younger years, with people saying they were going to fling lead at the "little blue and white bastard". Now I'm sure they were not serious as no lead was actually flung. But after making one little phone call, the joke was over for them!

I was just trying to give a polite heads up. I did not mean to offend you, but since you called my post to the carpet....

Jim,

No offense taken and thanks for the heads up. I think you're probably right.

Sorry if it appeared I called your post to the carpet. It wasn't meant that way.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 06/23/13 03:11 PM.

J
J
Cecil, PM being sent. I probably should have done this a while ago! smile

Cecil,
You ask who flies that early, well I do!! And I know where you live!! grin

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: highflyer
Cecil,
You ask who flies that early, well I do!! And I know where you live!! grin

grin

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: outdoorlivin247
You can't just buy an 8" mortar over the counter!!!

You can't? wink

Electronic detonation; he said that if he had a clear line of sight, it'd work up to 3 miles away.

I helped him wire up a display last year for the 4th at a person's house. The display was set to music and it was supposed to last about 20+ minutes. I guess that some of the chickens and peacocks that were on the property keeled over from fright that night.....

I'd like to have the $$ that was spent on that display!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I HATE CROP DUSTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Are you sure????????????????????

BGK, do you like food? If so crop dusters are your friends. Just saying.

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
O
O
Originally Posted By: esshup

I'd like to have the $$ that was spent on that display!

If people really had any idea what kind of money goes into a good show they would be shocked...That one 8" shell depending on what it kind was probably a $100 bill exploding in the sky...

The show I lit for the better part of 20 years only lit 2 8" in the finale...We still did old school and hand lit in 2 teams..Our show was just a small 20 minute show consisting on mostly 3 to 6 inch shells, with at least one in the air at (hopefully) all times...That little show cost $3000 to $3500 depending on donations...

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Wonder if BGK is talking about the same kind of crop duster that Cecil is.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
New 1.5 Ac pond in NC. YP for harvest is my goal.
by FishinRod - 04/19/24 06:16 PM
Major Fail
by Donatello - 04/19/24 01:48 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM
Protecting Minnows
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:46 AM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:23 AM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?