Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,987
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
10 members (Boondoggle, Snipe, catscratch, Deancutler, Bobbss, esshup, Swamp_Yankee, FishinRod, Pat Williamson, Steve Clubb), 1,181 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#333181 05/03/13 03:57 PM
W
WRFinTX Offline OP
OP Offline
W
I have been researching the best fit for my 1/4 acre pond. I am thinking HBG and HSB CC combo my problem is getting HBG in southeastern TX. Dunns fish farm has them available and have stops fairly close but I have heard numerous negative things about them. This is my first pond experience and to say I am rookie is being nice but I do not want to start off wrong by stocking inferior fish. Does anyone know of anyone who has HBG available in this area... I have done the usual google searching and come up empty.

The hatchery which I plan to use for minnows CC and HSB has CNBG available. What would the dynamic change be if I were to stock coppernose bluegill as opposed to hybrid bluegills. I understand the CNBG will spawn but will the CC and HSB predication be enough to control their offspring to some degree? I will be applying some fishing pressure to them as well but would this setup be too intensive?

Also any stocking recommendations for a 1/4 acre? I have heard so many from fisheries and they all seem pretty high.

GO ROCKETS

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have learned to stop taking it so seriously"

Call Todd at overton fisheries. He is local to South Central Texas and he is an all around good guy!! I would use the CNBG not HBG because you will need the CNBG offspring as the backbone of the food chain.

As for numbers, that all depends. Tell us about the pond, size, shape, depth, water source, water chemistry, secchi readings, age, what is in it now, do you get wind action, are you going to feed, are you going to use aeration, ect.

Then the experts will be able to give you a good place to start.

BTW, welcome!!

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
Tell us about the pond, size, shape, depth, water source, water chemistry, secchi readings, age, what is in it now, do you get wind action, are you going to feed, are you going to use aeration, ect.

...and how much time,effort and $ you want to expend on management, what kind of fishing you enjoy, are you wanting to harvest some fish, who else will be fishing the pond [esp kids]?

And as Brian said, welcome!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
You said it the first time. HBG and HSB. Skip the cats.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ditto what Dave Davidson said. I don't think the HSB will be able to keep the CNBG offspring in check.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: esshup
Ditto what Dave Davidson said. I don't think the HSB will be able to keep the CNBG offspring in check.

For a 1/4 acre pond, HSB will control over-population of CNBG very effectively with the assistance of one female LMB....if pond is free of structure and cover.
One grass carp and same sex tilapia worked well for me.

Small ponds are fun! smile
G/

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

W
WRFinTX Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Ok so I will need a little extra predidation if going with CNBG. So is one female lmb enough of go with a couple. Many people have highly recommended overton fisheries but they do not offer HBG. Anyone know of a reputable fishery in tx that does

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have learned to stop taking it so seriously"

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
If you go the LMB route and put more than 1 in, just be 100% sure they are all the same sex. Not so easily done with LMB.

Consider 1 LMB and possibly 1 blue cat. Remove the LMB when it gets over 16" or so and replace it with a new 8"-10" LMB.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: WRFinTX
Many people have highly recommended overton fisheries but they do not offer HBG. Anyone know of a reputable fishery in tx that does

You may find this link interesting about hybrid bluegill:

Hybrid Bluegill

Fishing has never been about the fish....

W
WRFinTX Offline OP
OP Offline
W
We move in Thursday this week. And my fun will begin on the pond. Here is what I know about it so far. Approx 1/4 acre I will measure off on friday 8ft depth at deepest avg of 6ft. Water source..fed by well water. Water chemistry ..ammonia, nitrates all normal. Soft water in relation to total hardness. Alkalinity is high and ph is high. Used a home test kit not sure what this all means. It does get wind action.I am willing to feed and aerate if needed.

I am willing and wanting to manage this pond along and do want to harvest fish for the table from time to time. I have a 10 month old and would love for her to get a kick out of it too when she gets old enough to hold a reel.

I like to fish bass and trout during winter. I like to eat catfish and tilapia. Are all of these legitimate options in a .25 acre? I think I answered the main questions any advice is appreciated.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Do your bass and trout fishing elsewhere. You can have a "production" catfish pond in 1/4 acre. You will need aeration and a feeder. As you catch and remove the fish, replace them with 8 to 10 inch ones.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
W
WRFinTX Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Would you recommend just catfish and fhm or would a combo of channel and blue catfish work together. I am interested in blue cats as well if possible. If going catfish route thinking cc and possibly hbg and a couple blue cats in there.

Thoughts? Stocking recommendations? Approximately how big an aerater for a quarer acre pond. Would one diffuser be sufficient?

Dave when you say "production" catfish pond what exactly does that mean? Also thank you for the good advice on all my questions.

F
F
See my thread on out of control HBG before going any further. Beware.

W
WRFinTX Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Would you recommend just catfish and fhm or would a combo of channel and blue catfish work together. I am interested in blue cats as well if possible. If going catfish route thinking cc and possibly hbg and a couple blue cats in there.

Thoughts? Stocking recommendations? Approximately how big an aerater for a quarer acre pond. Would one diffuser be sufficient?

Dave when you say "production" catfish pond what exactly does that mean? Also thank you for the good advice on all my questions.

W
WRFinTX Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Sorry didn't mean to repost my original questions.

Wow fishfrank I appreciate the advice. I am debating which route to go for stocking and the hbg seemed like a good choice with hsb or cats.I am looking for low offspring basically a put and take fishery. Since the hsb are pellet trained would they be an option with cats if pellet trained or do they need additional forage base such as hbg to really thrive?

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
See this link starting on pg 14. I don't agree with all the suggestions but there is some info on put and take ponds. I do think a HBG/CC with a blue or 2 is possible with feeding. You could also use HSB.

http://msucares.com/pubs/publications/p1428.pdf

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
WFR, a production pond is like the ones that the pay to fish places do. You put fish in, catch them and restock.

W
WRFinTX Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Hopefully this works as I have been having trouble getting photos to load .

The new ...to me...pond
http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p722/WRF31/20130513_101442_zps79386336.jpg

Last edited by WRFinTX; 06/11/13 09:06 AM.
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Here you go.

W
WRFinTX Offline OP
OP Offline
W
My concern with this pond is it gets no runoff. It is well fed so I can keep full year-round but shouldn't that affect its nutrient level if no run off is present. It has a lip around shoreline that prevents runoff from entering pond it would be an option to knock this flat allowing rain runoff to enter pond.

Pros cons. Does it matter one way or other or am I overthinking this?

W
WRFinTX Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Here is google map pic. Pond was approximately three foot low in this pick.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by esshup - 04/26/24 09:48 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by jmartin - 04/26/24 08:26 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/26/24 07:24 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!