Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (jludwig, Donatello, catscratch, DrLuke, esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk), 844 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
lassig Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
I put out my texas hunter feeder tonight. It was working fine last year when I put it away. It powered up fine and was able to set the clock and program it. When I tried to run the test feed it counted down correctly but then all I heard was a click and nothing happens. Any ideas what might be wrong? I plan on calling texas hunter in the morning. was just trying to get a jump start on it.

Last edited by lassig; 04/22/13 07:52 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Mark:

Is the battery fully charged? The solar charger won't charge a battery that is run down, you have to charge it on a real plug-in-the-wall battery charger.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
Sure sounds like a battery problem-it'd be almost impossible for both motors to go out at the same time, and they're basically wired separately to the timer assembly, so it's not likely there's a corroded contact between the timer andthe motor. Check the contacts from the timer to the battery, however.
If you can't fix it, call Cody at TH. He's super helpful and will do whatever it takes to get you up and running.

That would be my guess too. The control heads don't take much power, and will still display for a while even if the spinners won't throw.

AL

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Had a TH feeder where the timer just showed dashes on the display. Changed the battery for a known good one. No change. Sent the timer to Cody for replacement, he looked at it and said it was good. He sent the timer back, it was installed in the feeder and everything worked perfectly. I guess that timer was homesick and just wanted a free trip home for a visit. wink

In reality, it may just have been slightly corroded contacts, and removing/reinstalling it made contact.

To overwinter the feeder, some clients have them pretty permanently mounted. I've had good success by cleaning the feeder out, turning it to "off" for all feeding cycles, and leaving the battery hooked up to the solar charger. Next Spring, fill with food, program feeding schedule, test and walk away.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
lassig Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
My bad, I put a fully charged battery in and it works fine. Have to file this away to remember for next time.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
laugh

Glad to hear it works now! FWIW, I believe there is a battery indicator on the timer.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

lassig Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
yes there is and it stated the battery was fair. I now have that battery charged up but it might be put on backup electronic caller detail.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
I had a problem with mine too. After put a couple bags of feed in, I started up. Acts great except spinning plate not spinning. Battery said good, Allen wrench screw was tight (holding spin plate to motor shaft), motor spun shaft well when plate didnt have weight of fish food (aquamax 600) on it (note to self: in future, always just dump small amount in before testing). Called Texas hunter. Rep was very nice; but lost my cell phone signal during call. Will try to trouble shoot this weekend. Suggestions?

Ps: this is not meant to bash Texas Hunter. it has been a great feeder and I am we'll pleased. If they were cheaper or I had more money, I'd have several.

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
How old is the battery?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
Replaced battery with known good one. No change. Connected battery to motor which spins plate (bypassing timer). Plate spun. Fish food flowed. Was able to feed fish by running blower motor via timer and that battery while holding connecting wires to plate motor and other battery.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Call TH in the A.M. If the timer is younger than 5 years old it's under warranty. Send them the timer, they'll test it and if found defective, they'll replace it.

Had sort of the same problem on a friends TH feeder in Texas. He sent the timer in to them, they said it was good, but when he re-installed it everything worked fine.

One last test before sending it out, unplug it and plug it back in again. Maybe connections got a wee bit of corrosion on them?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
I'll try that. Thanks!

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
Call TH in the A.M. If the timer is younger than 5 years old it's under warranty. Send them the timer, they'll test it and if found defective, they'll replace it.

Had sort of the same problem on a friends TH feeder in Texas. He sent the timer in to them, they said it was good, but when he re-installed it everything worked fine.

One last test before sending it out, unplug it and plug it back in again. Maybe connections got a wee bit of corrosion on them?

Are you sure about the timer being under warranty if it's less than 5 years old? That's not what they told me.
I was having trouble with the upper motor last fall. I just replaced it and now it runs all the time. I called TH and they told me I need a new timer. I believe it's only two years old having had to replace it already when the original got wet. The bottom line is $139. I'm kind of fed up with TH, having had to replace several motors already.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
BH:

Positive. From their website: •DFT12 Digital Timer with 5-year Limited Warranty

If you need help, send me a PM and we'll get something worked out. wink

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images