Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,105
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,111
Who's Online Now
11 members (FireIsHot, Dylanfrely, Bill Cody, Treeguy27, Boondoggle, FishinRod, esshup, PRCS, Layne, nvcdl, H20fwler), 724 guests, and 165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hall of Fame
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
What would be the best aerator for my 1/4 acre pond? Here is a pic while still filling. Not sure how to figure average depth but I would say its around 8 foot. 12 foot being the deepest here is a satellite pic and video of pond.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4wsuvzWM-s&list=UUtsKh7PcjwdZIzWlkTRYkyQ&index=4

Last edited by Jwwann; 03/19/13 11:16 PM.

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
Hall of Fame
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
http://www.aerationsupply.com/catalog/su...ns-11-deep.html
I'm liking the price of this one. Made in USA! What would you consider my pond enlogated or circular?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
1/4 ac average 8' deep = roughly 650,000 gallons

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Jwwann ~ the system you are looking at online utilizes a linear compressor. They put out very little air at their maximum psi. 12' depth is beyond what that compressor can handle.

Sue Cruz
Vertex Water Features
www.vertexwaterfeatures.com

Hall of Fame
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Sue, what system do you guys sell that would be best for my pond?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Jwwann, pm sent.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
D
Fingerling
Fingerling
D
Jwwann,

We are not supposed to do any selling directly in the forum, but I have sent you a private message with my recommendation. I agree with Sue Cruz that compressor may not have enough volume at your depth. Also Aeration Supply is not on the resource list for Pond Boss so if you purchase from them it might be kind of "iffy".

thanks,

Daniel

Daniel Crackower
Living Water Aeration

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
If your pond is 12 ft deep with 3:1 slopes and a small beach area at the maximum, the average depth is closer to 5'deep considering the slower slope opposite the dam (I watched the video). Also the deepest belly area is a small percentage of the surface area. Volume is closer to 400,000 to 425,000 gal. It is a good idea to measure the depth with a rope & brick when the pond gets brimming full.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 03/20/13 11:32 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Hall of Fame
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Thanks Bill, should I wait for full pool or put one in now? I'm still not sure which system to go with. Would everybody that has added aeration to a small pond like this PM on what kind they used and the pros and cons of it. Thanks

Hall of Fame
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
http://www.livingwateraeration.com/pa33w.html
This is one pump that I'm looking at. Pro the price. Con no enclosure.
I'm trying to get some more advice without starting a selling war between fellow pond boss advertisers.
http://thepondshop.com/vertex-pond-lyfe-1
I'm looking at this one too. Con. The price is a little higher. Pro it looks to be turn key ready. Would either of these systems plug into heave duty extension cords till I can get my utility's to pond. It would be a couple hundred feet. Another option I'm looking into is running underground airline in PVC from shed 300 feet away. I'm definitely wanting my system Made in USA. It's a pet peeve I have with lack of jobs in US right now. Thanks

Last edited by Jwwann; 03/20/13 02:12 PM.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
There's no selling war ~ we just don't want you to buy something that won't work.
Between running an extension cord vs. airline ~ go with airline to avoid a voltage drop.

Sue Cruz
Vertex Water Features
www.vertexwaterfeatures.com

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Sue is dead on, on running extenstion cords that far. That is not only dangerous from heat in the cords but could hurt your system from voltage drop as she said. I tried running a cord 100 foot and it got pretty darn hot. Your cords would have to be VERY heavy duty. Heck you would have 150 bucks in cords if not more. smile PVC only costs a couple bucks per 10 foot. No brainer there what you should do. You can run the PVC and have no problems at all. Some fella's out here run PVC 8, 900 feet to run their air so 300 is not an issue.

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
P
P
Jwwann,

I will agree with Sue and RC51. The extension cord is not the best choice to run power to your compressor. The voltage drop, although it may be slight, could either burn up/melt your power cord or could cause the compressor to run at a lower voltage, causing damage to the compressor.
Also, when running your in ground piping. The PVC will work, but if you use polyethylene irrigation line.. It will save you money and time on your installation. You can find the black poly pipe at Home Depot or Lowes.. It is the same 1/2 inch I.D. tubing that is used for irrigation systems. It works great! And you don't have to worry about the black poly pipe cracking from any ground movement that may occur. You can make a long run from the compressor location to the water's edge where you will want to use some form of self-weighted/sinking tubing.

As for what system to go with... I have heard and experienced nothing but good things regarding the Vertex systems, and they are 100% made here in the states. The other system..... I have seen similar systems online and with a little further investigation found out that the compressors are made in China. As the saying goes.... You get what you pay for.

Miles upon miles of aeration line installed, 2500 plus pond treatments performed annually.... and I'm just getting started.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I agree about the poly pipe. Easy to run, flexible and no below ground connections to worry about.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
They make the irrigation black poly pipe 1/2"& 3/4 in 400ft rolls. Sometimes it has to be special ordered, but it is available in these longer lengths to minimize the number of connections for long distances. I can get it ordered from my local hardware store at a reasonable price of $0.10 - 0.15 per foot.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 03/21/13 09:33 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
F
F
OK so someone please clarify for me. My pond sits 480 feet from the house. Instead of all this time I have been wasting trying to find the best price on wire to run power out there, I could just run 480 feet of 1/2 inch poly tubing to run my air and I will be fine? This is running down a hill also.

Hall of Fame
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Yes, it will work from everything the guys on here have said. I'm going to put my aerator in my storage shed and run the line to pond. I'm waiting on the pond to settle first.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Personal choice here, but for that length of run I'd go 3/4" or 1" dia. then neck it down at the pond.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Ted Lea set me up to run aeration out to my pond that sits 800+ feet from my power source. I was lucky enough (I like foresighted, but my wife reminds me it was her idea) to have run an extra pvc pipe from the wellhead down to the pond. So we connected the pump to the extra pvc pipe and attached the weighted hose at the end.

Definitely go with what Sue and others recommend and pump the air the distance instead of the power. I also would agree with Esshup and go with 1" down to the pond if you can.

Also, trust what the experts have to say here, they know their numbers on how much air you need/want to push based on perceived run time and goals.

Give a few country boys a little money, beer, an arc welder and power tools and great things can happen...or someone is going to the hospital or jail.

F
F
What does using the larger diameter pipe accomplish?

pressure loss occurs more in smaller pipe. I dont know if 300' or 480' is long enough to worry about it, but if you wanted to go smallest pump you can get away with, I think avoiding some pressure loss would be worth it.

BUT, that all depends on the amount of air you need to push and the CFM you are trying to aim for which is based on the size and number of diffusers you have set up...which is why I suggest talking directly to the aeration experts on here for what they would propose in your situation.

Last edited by Rentzlaw; 05/12/13 06:19 PM.

Give a few country boys a little money, beer, an arc welder and power tools and great things can happen...or someone is going to the hospital or jail.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
fishfrank, PM sent.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

D
D
I wouldn't use poly pipe. No matter how tight you turn a hose clamp, you will still have air leakage with poly pipe fittings. Use 1" pvc - which I'm sure Sue is recommending - I use their systems myself.

Hall of Fame
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
I love planning in advance instead of just doing.

This is what I use. It's 23 feet tall, cost around $1800. Pricey maybe but it looks good and uses no electric power. Might take a long time to recover that cost in power savings, but I've always wanted a windmill and I finally had an excuse to get one. The air line runs underground down to the building where I have an adjustable splitter and from there out to the two ponds. The air stones are about 7 feet deep in each pond, and it pumps a decent amount of air into each pond. The website where I ordered it from is pondaeration.com.

Attached Images
Windmill.jpg Bubbles.png
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:45 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails