Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,999
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,539
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
6 members (Sunil, FishinRod, Fishingadventure, Deancutler, JoshMI, Joe7328), 1,362 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Wingsy Offline OP
OP Offline
I've searched the world over looking for powdered alum, and nada. All I could find in my area is alum crystals in 15lb bags. The stuff looks like salt. I've mixed a teaspoon in 1/4 cup of water and once it finally dissolves, it's clear, not a slurry. I added that to 1 gallon of my muddy pond water and after a day it's as clear as tap water. So, I'm sure this should work, but now my question is, what ratio do I use in mixing? Is it the same as the powdered alum? I've bought 250 lb of this stuff (at $1/lb) that I'll be picking up today. I'll be mixing it in a 50gal drum (40gal at a time) and spraying it from the banks. How much should I put into each 40gal mix? Isn't it possible that I could put so much alum in the drum that it will never dissolve? It took a long time to dissolve 1 teaspoon in 1/4 cup so I think I'll be spending most of my time with the boat prop in the drum. Any advice?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I've never used that form, so I can't offer advice. Try going to this web site, and looking for a dealer near you. Give them a shout and see if they have (or can get) powdered aluminum sulphate. If not, call a farm fertilizer supplier, or your counties farm co-op.

http://www.helenachemical.com/locations/Pages/locations.aspx

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
D
D
IF you could crush it or get it smaller it would be no different than refined alum. Depending on how clear it is would depend on the impurity's that are in it. It should look like rock salt.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Wingsy
I've searched the world over looking for powdered alum, and nada. All I could find in my area is alum crystals in 15lb bags. The stuff looks like salt. I've mixed a teaspoon in 1/4 cup of water and once it finally dissolves, it's clear, not a slurry. I added that to 1 gallon of my muddy pond water and after a day it's as clear as tap water. So, I'm sure this should work, but now my question is, what ratio do I use in mixing? Is it the same as the powdered alum? I've bought 250 lb of this stuff (at $1/lb) that I'll be picking up today. I'll be mixing it in a 50gal drum (40gal at a time) and spraying it from the banks. How much should I put into each 40gal mix? Isn't it possible that I could put so much alum in the drum that it will never dissolve? It took a long time to dissolve 1 teaspoon in 1/4 cup so I think I'll be spending most of my time with the boat prop in the drum. Any advice?

When I added alum to a pond I set up about 6 trash cans at equadistance around the pond. I filled them and then went around and spread the mix with a plastic pitcher pitching it out.

I would swing to more dillution vs. less.

I don't think you have to worry about diluting it too much as long as long as you pitch it evenly on the entire surface of the pond.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Powdered Alum is usually only available at large chemical supply companies and due to Homeland Security Regulations imposed on those companies, you must be a "registered Company" to purchase from them...that said, using a trash pump or sump pump in your barrel to recirculate the granules, breaking them up and disolving them much quicker....be sure to move the intake and outlet to mix thoroughly, The Alum slurry look like dirty milk.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Rex, I didn't know that about alum "registered company". I can buy from my local farm fertilizer suppllier easily enough.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Rainman
Powdered Alum is usually only available at large chemical supply companies and due to Homeland Security Regulations imposed on those companies, you must be a "registered Company" to purchase from them
That's true for potassium permanganate and potassium nitrate; but not for aluminum sulfate.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Kelly, I am just going by what I was told by 6 major bulk, "Wholesale" chemical companies info to me that I have accounts with....All said Homeland Security rules say that they may not sell "any chemical, in any quantity" to "unknown or 'walk-in customers'"...sales must be to account holders only (cash accounts are fine, but must include personal information. I am sure retail sale is far different.

There are so many contradictory, asinine regulations anymore, interpretations vary widely and no one can be "legal" if the regulators don't want you to be.

Last edited by Rainman; 05/31/13 08:50 AM.

Rex I'm stopping in Greenville to get a couple hundred pounds next week , so I'll see what info I need. If an account is all I need, then I'm fine with that. I used to purchase at Estes, but I can't remember the procedure there.

I really do hate to see all bulk chemicals legislated to death, but with all the crazies out there, I guess a blanket rubber stamp was easier for those that make these decisions.

Oh, Rex I bookmarked your original 2008 thread on Alum. It has been very helpful before I started this. Thanks!

AL

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Rainman
Powdered Alum is usually only available at large chemical supply companies and due to Homeland Security Regulations imposed on those companies, you must be a "registered Company" to purchase from them...that said, using a trash pump or sump pump in your barrel to recirculate the granules, breaking them up and disolving them much quicker....be sure to move the intake and outlet to mix thoroughly, The Alum slurry look like dirty milk.

You can buy both aluminum sulfate and potassium permanganate on Ebay. I've bought PP there with no questions asked.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Lunker
Lunker
Re Pot-Perm: I know "the regs" require some sort of certification since that substance may be used to manufacture explosives. Whether everyone is aware of or follows the regs is a different story - but I know of no similar requirements that relate to AlSO4

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Kelly, I know of no regs pertaining to AlSO4 (Aluminum Sulfate) either, and it is consider a "Generally Safe Chemical". I was talking about sales restriction placed on wholesale, bulk distributors. Retail sales are "unrestricted" unless other chemical specific regulations apply. I was told by Brentag, GS Robins and 3 other suppliers I use that Homeland security came in and required they companies enclose and "entirely" secure their property perimeter, allow no access except to "known customers" through remotely operated electronic gates/doors.

Al, that thread was fun to document and watch grow!

Last edited by Rainman; 06/01/13 12:23 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 05:13 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM