Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Freg, Jared015, Justin W, LeighAnn, Donatello, Theo Gallus, Sunil, homewardbound, DenaTroyer), 729 guests, and 217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
OP Offline
J
I have recently purchased a house with a small pond on it, less than 1/4 acre. From what I can tell there is only catfish and bluegill in it. I have counted about 10 catfish about 1 to 2lbs in it at one time, and there was hundreds of bluegill but seems their numbers have diminished since the catfish have became more active this spring. My pond has no cover in it at all for fish so should I put a small tree in it for the bluegill to hide, and will this help them become larger? Also I have no fresh water coming into the pond so I've heard catfish will not spawn, is there anything I can do to make it better habitat for them to spawn, and grow bigger?

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey Jason welcome to the PBF!

In a pond that size it may be better if you start all over. Your BG may be stunted and way to many. Your cats have no real food left at there size to eat. Either it's to small a fish and the cats can't gain any weight or they cant eat the BG you have as the BG are just a little to big for them. You really have to regualte that sort of thing in a smaller pond or it can get out of control fast! Some cover would help the BG from being eating so easy, but not sure if that's what you want if you have to many in there the last thing you want to do is give time somewhere to hide too!! smile

Could you and a buddy take a large net to the pond and see what you got in it? That may help you decide what to do.

Starting a feeding program for the BG wouldn't hurt either. It wouldn't take much with the right food.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
F
F
Welcome Jason,

What do you want to get back from the pond?

If you just want a CC hole, then you might have the makings for it already. If you want trophy BG, well that might be a different path. I wouldn't worry to much about them spawning, buy little ones every year to resupply the ones you take out. You have better control that way.

You mentioned growing bigger CC, if you feed the BG as RC mentioned, you will feed them in two ways, more and bigger BG and they will eat the feed too. Putting a tree in there won't necessarily get the BG larger, it takes food to do that. It might help more young BG survive, but if there isn't food for them they will stunt.

J
OP Offline
J
Thanks guys,
I believe I'd rather have a good CC pond than BG. But wouldn't mind for both fish in the pond get a lil bigger. About how many CC should a pond my size have, to maintain healthy decent size CC?

On a diff note I thought about putting some largemouth in there, just for my 3YO to catch. If I do that about how many would you put in a pond that size, and while they survive with no fresh water?

Also its about 7ft deep, 10 to 12ft after alot of rain.
Thanks again

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
It's not about the numbers of fish, it's about the weight of fish in the pond. If you are not aerating and feeding, then a pond can reliably hold about 300# of fish per acre. If fed and aerated, a pond can hold at least double that amount per acre.

CC are cavity spawners. But, with the price of 10" catfish so reasonable, you probably shouldn't want them to reproduce in your pond. Utilize them as a catch and keep fish. Catch and keep 20 to eat this summer, stock 20 more in the Spring. Don't do a catch and release - I've found that CC get very hook wise quickly.

If you stock LMB, I would be positive to only stock same sex fish. LMB can eat themselves out of house and home in a pond, so reproducing LMB in a small pond will take more work on your part to keep them under control.

If it was my pond, I'd find someone with a seine, and seine out the pond, restocking with CC, Hybrid Bluegills nad maybe 5-10 HSB. Feed 'em and catch and keep for dinner, restocking every year. Look inot a small aeration system for the pond too.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images