Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,790
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,509
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
9 members (esshup, canyoncreek, Augie, ArkieJig, catscratch, FishinRod, FireIsHot, Theeck, Rick O), 961 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
bklem Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Ok so I am helping a friend develop a very nice hunting lodge in Deep South Texas. He wants a 2-3 acre lake in front of the lodge. The lake will be supplied by an 8" well which was just finished last week. The top two to three feet of the soil is sand but below that is clay. I no absolutely nothing about clay but I was told that it was red clay on top and blue clay below that for a depth of at least 15 feet per the test dig. Had no idea there were different types of clay. Looked all the same to me!! Per google earth there is less than four feet in elevation change in the proposed site. Just FYI the lodge sits up higher on a small knoll/sand dune. I have many questions but first and foremost can I have an input on any problems/advantages/ experiences we might encounter? I assume there is no need for a dam? Have to make your own structure such as artificial depth changes, rocks, hardwood? I am sure i have probably caused more questions than provoked answers but thanks in advance for any comments.

Billy Klemstein
B
bklem Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Nothing?

Billy Klemstein
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
pics usually bring much quicker responses

Fishing has never been about the fish....

D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
Animals reincarnate?

B
bklem Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Originally Posted By: Zep
pics usually bring much quicker responses

Pics? Of the land? Not much to see. It is flat with a few mesquites and a lot of sand!

Billy Klemstein
B
bklem Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Originally Posted By: Dudley Landry
Animals reincarnate?

??????????? Did I miss something here?

Billy Klemstein
B
bklem Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Here is a picture from approximately where the edge of the lake bed will be. You can see that the lodge sits on a small rise. The lake itself will behind from where the pic is taken.

Attached Images
image.jpg

Billy Klemstein
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Here's bklem's picture:

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

R
RER Offline
R
Seems like its going to be an awesome place. Do you know how deep you intend to dig the pond. I guess if you go beyond the clay layer and hit sand again it might not hold water as tightly. Will the wells be free flowing artesean wells or will they be pumping the water up and into the pond?

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
B
bklem Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Bobby,

The test dig was 18' and still had good clay so I believe we will go at least 18'. I would think in the heat down there that the deeper, the better? The well is conventional, not artesian. I assume there will be a float system to keep the lake constant level?

Billy Klemstein
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
What is the GPM on the well?

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

B
bklem Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Originally Posted By: Sunil

Not sure. I will find out. I do know that this is a very large ranch and there are several other lakes on the other pastures which are kept constant level. They are probably not quite as large though.

Billy Klemstein
R
RER Offline
R
what are your stocking plans or goals for the fish?

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
B
bklem Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Originally Posted By: BobbyRice
what are your stocking plans or goals for the fish?

That is where we will definitely turn to the experts! The lakes primary purpose will be for lmb. One side note is that we have access from one of the lodges owners other ranches to a five acre lake that has an overpopulation of pellet trained lmb. Not sure if it would make sense to try and relocate those or not? The other ranch is in north texas. Just one of many questions!

Billy Klemstein
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Call Mike Otto, he will be able to assist you in constructing your pond. The information you are seeking is very difficult to accurately provide without an on-site visit.

B
bklem Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Originally Posted By: Sunil

65 GPM

Billy Klemstein
With that much amount of clay content down to 15ft or greater depth, there's not much worry about leaching issues once the clay soil get saturated with water. Now, how hot is on the average at your location, and when do the heat reach above 80°F (spring/summer), remain constant or get hotter, and when it drops below 80°F (fall/winter) and remain constant? It will depict the pond/lake ideal depth as well as volume of available for your fish for various scenarios.

Leo

* Knowledge and experience yield wisdom. Sharing wisdom expand the generations with crucial knowledge. Unshared wisdom is worth nothing more than rotting manure.
B
bklem Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Thanks Leo. Below 80 is not an issue. Above 80 is a constant for probably 6-8 months of the year in south Texas.

For everyone else, is 65 GPM sufficient volume to fill three acres and keep it full?

Billy Klemstein
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: bklem
Thanks Leo. Below 80 is not an issue. Above 80 is a constant for probably 6-8 months of the year in south Texas.

For everyone else, is 65 GPM sufficient volume to fill three acres and keep it full?

No way to tell if the 65 gpm is enough until you can tell us how much gpm will be lost due to any leakage and evaporation. wink

Personally? I'd dig the pond at least 20' figuring that as soon as you finish digging, it will start filling back up (slowly). That's just mother nature at work. Providing you still have clay at that depth tho. If you hit a sand vein, stop digging in that area, note the depth and pack at least 18" of clay over the sand.

More water volume is better in the Texas climate, well or no well.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
K
K
Billy, your friend is building a nice looking lodge. Not many people stick build them anymore. I never did care for trusses. Good luck.

Two ponds, 13 and 15 acres on the Mattaponi River.
B
bklem Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Originally Posted By: esshup
Originally Posted By: bklem

No way to tell if the 65 gpm is enough until you can tell us how much gpm will be lost due to any leakage and evaporation. wink

Personally? I'd dig the pond at least 20' figuring that as soon as you finish digging, it will start filling back up (slowly). That's just mother nature at work. Providing you still have clay at that depth tho. If you hit a sand vein, stop digging in that area, note the depth and pack at least 18" of clay over the sand.

More water volume is better in the Texas climate, well or no well.

No doubt about getting as much depth as we can. Evaporation will be severe with the summers we experience down south. Thanks for the advice.

Billy Klemstein
B
bklem Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Originally Posted By: kenc
Billy, your friend is building a nice looking lodge. Not many people stick build them anymore. I never did care for trusses. Good luck.

Thanks Ken. It really Is an amazing place. 17K acres of virgin country in the middle of nowhere. We have a lot of work to do!

Billy Klemstein
Online Content
Golden Triangle, or more West?

Looks like a great project.

AL

K
K
Should have enough land to have a couple of decent deer drives. Does he have a really old old maid daughter?

Two ponds, 13 and 15 acres on the Mattaponi River.
J
J
Originally Posted By: kenc
Should have enough land to have a couple of decent deer drives. Does he have a really old old maid daughter?

Or a younger daughter? wink

All joking aside, from the pictures the pond will likely most closely resemble a pit pond. My definition of a pit pond is a pond that is built basically by "digging" a hole in the ground with scraper or dozer and using that dirt for the dam. I put digging in quotes because there are too many instances of just digging hole and having leaking ponds. All of our pit ponds have gone dry or near dry in this drought.

I also second getting Mike Otto involved. The link below offers proof of how much one will appreciate Mike Otto.

Helpful Thread

Mike Otto Website

Mike Otto Contact Information

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM