Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,788
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
3 members (Boondoggle, catscratch, Steve Clubb), 1,032 guests, and 206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#332706 04/29/13 09:21 PM
R
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
R
Does anyone know of a way to keep Blue Herons out of my pond? I've found 2 10" redear about 4 feet on the bank with holes in their heads. A friend of mine had this problem a few years ago and they were catching nice bass the same way. I guess the fish is too big for them to swallow.
I know "how" to get rid of them, but it's not legal! Would a scare crow type thing work?

Roger Simpson
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I use staked lines. GBH's either walk the banks or wade in. They don't land in water unless they are sure it's shallow. If there is staked line in their way they can't get to the fish. I purchase furring strips from the local lumber yard and makes stakes out of them. Once I drive the stakes in at water's edge with a rubber mallet I screw in one inch dry wall screw 3 or 4 inches above the water line, another one up about 4 inches more and a third up a little farther.

I string cheap mono from Walmart in the 25 to 50 lb. test rang from screw to screw around the pond. Wrap the mono around each screw a few times and then loop it for it to hold.

It's not the eye sore you may think it is nor does it hinder pond use, and you only need a new stake when the bank turns. Two on a straight run at enough.

The idea is to have the lines low enough that the bird can not go under it but high enough it can't go over the top line.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/30/13 08:32 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
3S rule!

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
F
F
Great Thinking Cecil!! I am going to have to put it to use

Water is the basis of all life, by design!
paint ball gun works too shocked

John Wann #332800 04/30/13 08:34 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Jwwann
3S rule!

Been there done that when I got a federal permit to kill a couple a year because I do some aquaculture. Guess what? Within a couple of weeks another one took it's place. The stakedlines work 24/7 vs. a gun that only works when you're there.

You would be amazed at the night activity of these birds on a full moon night while you're sawing logs.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

R
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
R
Thanks Cecil! I will try that. Yes, when one "disappears" another always takes its place! They know when I'm around....

Roger Simpson
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
I have done Cecil's idea above last year and it's worked to some degree. One needs to remember that your pond water may play a role in this as well. Right now your pond is full I bet. In the middle of the summer at least mine will end up 4 feet from the fence I put in and the dang bird will land in a tree and just drop down in front of the fence! They are not stupid. If they want in your pond bad enough they will work it out. I would also go with the 30lbs or higher line. I used 20 and I have found a couple of spots where mine is broken. So either the bird got into it and couldn't get out or maybe a deer broke it I am not sure?? Either way it's the best idea like Cecil says that you can use 24/7.

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Yes they are smart! Back when I had the permit I swear they knew the range of my shotgun. Rifle isn't allowed for the permit and I wasn't comfortable using one with close neighbors. Besides I suck at accuracy with a rifle!

I went to 3 1/2 inch buckshot to "reach out and touch someone." LOL

RC51 yes if your water level goes down they will take advantage of that. Fortunately that is not a problem here as I have a high capacity well.

Cecil I bought a couple of those plastic alligators that Zep had mentioned, and they've actually worked well. I stuck them in the shallow part of my brood pond where my BG spawn, and not a footprint or sign of any creature.

I just used decoy weights, and let them float in about a 20' radius, and even varmints are avoiding the area. Time will tell, but so far they've been great.

AL

FireIsHot #332876 05/01/13 12:07 PM
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
Cecil I bought a couple of those plastic alligators that Zep had mentioned, and they've actually worked well. I stuck them in the shallow part of my brood pond where my BG spawn, and not a footprint or sign of any creature.

I just used decoy weights, and let them float in about a 20' radius, and even varmints are avoiding the area. Time will tell, but so far they've been great.

Fireshot that's good to know! I always wondered if those alligators would work? Thanks for that info and keep us posted on that ok.

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Just an update...my alligator decoys have worked pretty well. In fact they have completely scared off the water-turkey, but I have been noticing a white bird with long sharp beak and a gray one that looks like he's outta the stone age in my ponds...the gator decoys don't seem to be scaring them.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Nice I have been thinking about getting one but wasn't sure if it was worth the money?? I have one area with no fence around it and it is shallow I thought about using one there and now I just might.

Thanks,
RC

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
RC like I say the gator decoy doesn't seem to be working for me on what I assume is a white heron and a gray heron....but worked against a water turkey.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

Zep #332906 05/01/13 04:01 PM
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Zep
RC like I say the gator decoy doesn't seem to be working for me on what I assume is a white heron and a gray heron....but worked against a water turkey.

Yeah you know if they could make one of them that had a battery operated motion sensor in it's head to make a growling sound and open it's mouth for about 5 seconds and slowly close!! Then I bet them birds would think twice! smile

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
It might worth it if it will keep cormorants away. I guess wading birds arn'te worried and a diving bird is.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
B
If GBH's are the problem, but a GBH decoy through Cabela's or Bass Pro and stake it out and walla...end of problem...GBH's are extremely territorial and will not usually land where another one is already...It has worked for me 100%..they just fly on by..I had one anyways as a confidence decoy for waterfowl hunting here in Ky..They really do work..Or at least here they do...

http://www.basspro.com/Flambeau-Egret-and-Blue-Heron-Decoys/product/35028/

FireIsHot #332967 05/01/13 09:39 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker

I wonder if it would work on a bird that is too far north to know what a gator is?

It'd be a fun project to build one with a jointed tail with an attached hose and pump to get it to swim back and forth like a water hose that is running and snaking back and forth in the water. You could put it on a timer to shut off randomly to make it more natural.

The ultimate would be motion activated sensor to get it to move close to anything that moves. Then a secondary sensor that causes it's mouth to open when it gets close to what activated it's sensor.

Cecil what's funny is I have wood ducks and they could care less. Maybe since they're resident, they're used to them.

Has anybody tried an electric fence?

AL

FireIsHot #332978 05/01/13 11:00 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Cecil what's funny is I have wood ducks and they could care less. Maybe since they're resident, they're used to them.

Or they know that can get away before the gator gets close enough?

Has anybody tried an electric fence?

Yes I heard of people using them for herons. They claim when they make contact they do what can only be described as a break dance! They aren't that expensive really.

I knew a crayfish farm that is now out of business that used one with enough juice that killed herons on contact. Seems to me that would be dangerous.

R
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
R
300wsm from the patio makes a powderpuff! I look at it as no different than deer destroying my crops, or turkeys eating my freshly planted corn. the dang things look like a goose flying backwards when they are in the air....go hit Big Creek, The Wabash or even the Ohio! Just leave my little water hole alone!

Maybe I'll get a pet Gator! The plastic form....Cecil. Dead coyote would be a good choice, but here, they see any movement near my house they are airborn. across the pond would be 125 yd shot

Roger Simpson
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
You guys could make some of these out of used tires. They might work.

I have found my AR seems to deter them pretty well. Maybe I'm just looking for a reason to shoot 30 rounds in 5 seconds. $$$
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOuMLa0nvT4&list=UUtsKh7PcjwdZIzWlkTRYkyQ&index=4

Last edited by Jwwann; 05/02/13 12:30 AM.

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
Blue Moon #333004 05/02/13 08:10 AM
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Originally Posted By: Blue Moon
If GBH's are the problem, but a GBH decoy through Cabela's or Bass Pro and stake it out and walla...end of problem...GBH's are extremely territorial and will not usually land where another one is already...It has worked for me 100%..they just fly on by..I had one anyways as a confidence decoy for waterfowl hunting here in Ky..They really do work..Or at least here they do...

Happy to hear this worked for you. Reviews seem to be 50-50.

Omaha #333218 05/03/13 08:58 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Omaha
Originally Posted By: Blue Moon

Happy to hear this worked for you. Reviews seem to be 50-50.

Ditto. The birds aren't dummies and with some they will figure out the decoy is not real. And I have seen more than one on a pond so they must not always be territorial. I would say it's imperative to at least keep moving the decoy around.

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
I've "heard" that those whistling bottle rockets are a great deterrant(sp) wink wink grin. Even with Canadian geese!!!

Last edited by hang_loose; 05/04/13 09:08 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/18/24 08:53 PM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward