Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,959
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
6 members (emactxag, catscratch, Sunil, KenHorton, Boondoggle, Bigtrh24), 1,151 guests, and 485 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#33291 02/25/03 08:10 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Hello members. I would like to find some different types of equipment that is used in the aquatic weed control industry.I have developed my own way and am interested in sharing ideas with anyone in this line of work.This is an attempt to find more economical ways to provide service to my clients.I am currently using a method that is to me the best for small ponds to lakes under 100 acres.This method has been successful and fast but I would like to see other methods to get ideas about large lakes and just about any unique idea that I can find or share the method I use is with a 6x6 amphibious. It is very easy to use as far as unloading and entering the ponds compared to a boat that I used before and clients like to watch as I use it. Well this thing is getting to be a book so I better go. Doc

Doc
#33292 02/27/03 11:28 AM
F
F
I've looked at the specs on those amphibious vehicles, and most are rated for only 500 lbs or so while afloat. I would be interested to hear what your experiences have been. It just seems like a pretty small payload to me, by the time you put yourself, equipment, and mix on the vehicle, wouldn't max payload be exceeded?

#33293 02/27/03 02:58 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Hello Fisherman not mine the payload that my 6x6 has is 1000 pounds which is plenty the best thing that I have found about this machine is being able to treat from the bank or the water with the same machine I can also draw water right from the lake through the mixer and spray.My customers like the fact that I dont have to drive a truck accross there yards I like the fact that I dont have to lug that boat around anymore.IT is twice as fast and three times as easy. The thing that I would like to see is better digital mixers to take alot of the time away from mixing.Can you believe how easy it would be to punch in the type of chemical the amount hit enter and it mixes the solution for you all you have to do is spray thats what Iwill set up on my machine sooner or later any Ideas would be greatly helpful thanks for your reply. DOC

Doc
#33294 03/02/03 12:40 AM
Lunker
Lunker
LakeDoc - I've been refining a "simple" chemical injection system for over ten years. "Simple", meaning "non-computurized", unlike the high-$$$$ systems used by state and county roadside departments. My system still isn't cheap from most pond and small lake owners viewpoint. But, the cost-efficiencies that it affords make it very attractive to large commercial applicators and government entities. The system basically uses a Honda-driven diaphram "primary" pump and a 12v dual-head variable-rate injection pump (which meters & injects two products, independently - ex. a herbicide + a surfactant). The key compenent is a flow-sensing device that triggers the injection pump motor ONLY when the spray gun is triggered. A mix-tank isn't needed, since the primary pump pulls its water from the lake or pond in which the spray-boat/buggy is floating. Only the two concentrated products are needed (usually left in their original jugs). There are several variations of the system, depending upon the type of products and treatments being considered. Let me know if you're interested. kmduffie@aol.com

#33295 03/02/03 01:32 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Thanks Mr.Duffie Yes I would be insterested in seeing what you have come up with and maybe sharing some ideas of the one I,m trying to get built.The cost is always my top concern but in this case I will be looking at reliabilty an accuracy to build a proto type that works and then maybe market.It seems that you have to be on the cutting edge to be sucessful in any type of market these days its not enough to have a product that works it has to use all the latest tech. or it is labled outdated.I,ll take what works anyday.You can reach me here any time to get started thanks doc

Doc
#33296 03/13/03 12:30 PM
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Doc,

Thanks for starting this topic. I was curious how your 6x6 holds up. From what I hear from others they are pieces of junk and don't run half the time. You've got a great idea though. Is it a four seater? How do they opertate in the water? Much control? Slow? Leaks?

Also, what kind of mixer are you using? We run our spray operations from either an ATV for shoreline or ATV to tow a small 16 ft boat for a larger pond or lake and we also use just a small john boat with a trolling motor for the smaller ponds. Seems to work okay for us, but if you have great things to say about the durability and function of the 6x6, you may have my attention.

We've found that the ATV/Boat combo works good for us so we don't damage the landscaping around some of the more ornamental ponds and lakes.

#33297 03/14/03 03:06 AM
L
OP Offline
L
Hello Trent I have used the 6x6 for about 4 years now with know problems to speak of it works great The ones I use are built by a company that is not to far from where I live.They are the best on the market a little bit more expensive but well worth it. THey are called Hydro-traxx. They are hydrostatic drive and they have a true zero turning radius they are rated to be able to haul 1000 lbs in the water and will run at 5 mph they run from 18 to 25 mph on land they are very reliable and don't leak a drop they are made out of molded fiberglass and come with 30hp motors or 44hp disels there great for pulling trees out of spillways or installing foutains or aerators.I would spend all night explaining my mixtures they are set to guide lines by the state. The only draw back that I have found is in doing lakes that are largeer than 25 acres and don't have bank access .Gota go for now doc'

Doc
#33298 03/14/03 03:06 AM
L
OP Offline
L
Hello Trent I have used the 6x6 for about 4 years now with know problems to speak of it works great The ones I use are built by a company that is not to far from where I live.They are the best on the market a little bit more expensive but well worth it. THey are called Hydro-traxx. They are hydrostatic drive and they have a true zero turning radius they are rated to be able to haul 1000 lbs in the water and will run at 5 mph they run from 18 to 25 mph on land they are very reliable and don't leak a drop they are made out of molded fiberglass and come with 30hp motors or 44hp disels there great for pulling trees out of spillways or installing foutains or aerators.I would spend all night explaining my mixtures they are set to guide lines by the state. The only draw back that I have found is in doing lakes that are largeer than 25 acres and don't have bank access .Gota go for now doc'

Doc
#33299 03/14/03 07:55 AM
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Thanks Doc! I'll try and look up that company on the web. Do you know if they have a website? Also, I was trying to ask what kind of mixing unit you use...not how you mix. Thanks for the info, though. I'll have to check out the 6x6.

#33300 03/14/03 08:39 AM
L
OP Offline
L
Hello Trent the people that built my machine set it up with the pumps they are run with hydraulics.They have a manual lever to activate the pump and agitater built in the tank that is 60gallons.I don't mix in my machine I mix in the tanks on the truck and pump and refill from that.Unless I am treating a large pond and then I just throw in another tank .This is not the way I want to do this forever but works .I will be developing a digital mixer and adding it to my machine in the future.Oh I almost forgot the web site is at brian@hydrotraxxonline...Let me know what you think. DOC

Doc
#33301 03/14/03 12:44 PM
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Doc,

Sounds like a great setup! I went to www.hydrotraxxonline.com and took a look at their machines. VERY COOL! You are right, the they are a little pricey. But the 6x6 takes the place of the ATV and boat so I can see how it can save you time and maintenance and eventually pay for itself. Do you know of a good place to find used ones? Does Hydro-Traxx sell used machines? Do you have the gas or diesel 6x6? How's the maintenance? Frequent, complicated, expensive? By the way, thanks for the info on those 6x6's!

#33302 03/14/03 08:08 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Hello again Trent. I have the gas motor it is alot lighter than the disel and still has plenty of power.As for the upkeep it is just oil changes and cleanup thats about all I have ever done.I havent even changed the spark plug in 4 years.Another thing that I like is I can stand up and drive with no hands steering it with my legs leaving my hands free to spray.The pumps are really powerful to I can set the sprayer up and spray at least 60'maybe more.The throttle is like a lawn mower and you set it and keep the rpm the same to keep the pressure at the same psi for a nice even coverage They even have a cigarete lighter.I want to get it set up to be able to have chemicals in there own jugs have a digital mixer mix the solution that is desired and use water out of the lake and just spray without having to touch nothing but a button and a spray nozzle.Wouldn't that be nice well gota go for now DOC

Doc
#33303 09/12/03 09:31 PM
R
R
Hmm...

I'd feel like a "total nerd" in that thing.

Rufuscatfish

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Omaha - 04/25/24 05:34 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/25/24 03:24 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Lumberman1985 - 04/25/24 03:01 PM
Low Alkalinity