Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985
18,501 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,962
Members18,501
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
7 members (FishinRod, Fishingadventure, 4CornersPuddle, Bigtrh24, Boondoggle, Bill Cody, Ponderific2024), 1,109 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Helo today when I walked down to the pond I noticed a really bad leak. I tried to find it by muddying the water but I couldn't find the leak so now i'm using a siphoning setup to drain my pond. how thick will my clay liner need to be too stop the leak? I would like to drain the pond completely and dig it out a little to do this I need to get my fish out I have some 55 gallon barrels setup with the spring water running through it will this be enough? Will my trout get stressed too the point of dyeing? Thanks

Sarcasm...yet another free service I offer.
OP Offline
anybody?

F
F
I noticed that you had a post about the trout and what to do with them while renovating your pond in another post. Now with your problem, this is kind of a rush decision for you. Cecil is probably the best one to help you with that, as you know. I think he's really busy right now with draining down his pond. You might PM him to get help with the trout.

I believe the average amount of clay for a liner is 18". However your pond isn't nearly as big as normal, so I would guess that you could get by with less. I would go at least 6", but anymore than that is going to be a lot of work to do by hand. Are you thinking of doing the whole inside, or just where it's leaking?

Last edited by fish n chips; 04/07/13 01:33 PM.
OP Offline
I have an idea of where it's leaking so i'll probably just line it where I think it's leaking.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If you have the clay available, and can get it in place and packed, the thicker the better. Just think about all the work that goes into getting it in place. Now think about all the work that you'd have to do again if it leaked after you filled it.

This is a case where doing it once and doing it right applies. Also a bit of overkill won't hurt a bit. I'd not feel comfortable with less than 18" of clay if I wanted it sealed, and that's also packing it down right and tightly, interweaving the layers of clay. Don't make one pile 18" thick and try to pack it down.

If you just patch that area, you run the risk of having the water go around the patch to leak out the same area.

I don't have an answer for you about the trout. I agree, Cecil's the man.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
F
F
smallpond, is this the pond you were going to have your buddy come and help dig deeper in the near future? That might change plans in how, when, etc.

OP Offline

I'm using 5 garden hoses to drain the pond

The old spring house is being exposed.

Heres the leak.

Last edited by esshup; 04/07/13 04:40 PM. Reason: made it read easier

L
L
What a perfect candidate for a rubber liner! Not too large of a pond, but a fairly narrow dam that may be prone to critter damage. Too bad I am guessing that it isn't really in your budget.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Rocks just don't work with dams or any other parts of ponds.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: liquidsquid
What a perfect candidate for a rubber liner! Not too large of a pond, but a fairly narrow dam that may be prone to critter damage. Too bad I am guessing that it isn't really in your budget.

EPDM liners went way up in price over the past two years. eek eek eek One of the advertisers here, which is right around the corner from my place, is offering 30mil instead of the 45mil, because of the massive price hike.

OP Offline
I definatly can't blow a whole bunch of money into a epdm liner, but I do currently have a water proof billboard tarp in. It only covers the lower section of the dam I covered the edges of the liner in dirt, and my pond has been pretty much leak free until now. Apparently the trout swooped away a lot of the dirt around the edges of my liner causing my dam to leak. I may have pinpointed the leak I will try to patch it tomorrow. We'll see what happens then.

Last edited by small pond; 04/07/13 09:27 PM.

OP Offline
I think I found the leak, and at least slowed it down a little bit. The pond filled up over night which I think is pretty good If the leak starts to get bad again I know where to throw some dirt. I will eventually be putting in a good clay liner but that day is not today. I don't think mom will let me in the house again if I come back looking, and smelling like a pond.

Hey small pond, slight diversion here (off-subject), but with those RR tracks behind your pond, if I'm seeing that correctly in your first picture, I can see why you have the problem with trespassers!

Could you put up some T-Posts with barbed wire on that steep slope? Maybe there's a way around them but it might be a detractor.

And, as others have stated to you already, don't take any chances with them!

Good luck with your pond, I'm fighting leaks as well but mine are big dam beaver holes cry, hopefully you got yours fixed.

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
K
K
Daggone SMPD, I sure hate this for you. We have been at our farm till today and saw your plight now. Did you have to drain your whole pond? It may be a good time to get your neighbor with the front end loader involved. I don't know about keeping your trout alive but the biggest container you can get would be the best. You are a hard working young man and I hope you are able to solve this problem soon. I wish I knew more so I could be of more assistance but I am confident that you will over come this problem pronto. Wishing the best of luck to you.

Two ponds, 13 and 15 acres on the Mattaponi River.
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Lovnlivin
Hey small pond, slight diversion here (off-subject), but with those RR tracks behind your pond, if I'm seeing that correctly in your first picture, I can see why you have the problem with trespassers!

Could you put up some T-Posts with barbed wire on that steep slope? Maybe there's a way around them but it might be a detractor.

And, as others have stated to you already, don't take any chances with them!

Good luck with your pond, I'm fighting leaks as well but mine are big dam beaver holes cry, hopefully you got yours fixed.
I don't think I'm gona put up barbed wire simply because it's expensive, other neighbors have tried it, and the drugies just cut the wire. next week i'll be planting a lot of nasty jager bushes those things will deter anybody. I hope you get your problem fixed too If it was me we'd be having beaver stew grin

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: kenc
Daggone SMPD, I sure hate this for you. We have been at our farm till today and saw your plight now. Did you have to drain your whole pond? It may be a good time to get your neighbor with the front end loader involved. I don't know about keeping your trout alive but the biggest container you can get would be the best. You are a hard working young man and I hope you are able to solve this problem soon. I wish I knew more so I could be of more assistance but I am confident that you will over come this problem pronto. Wishing the best of luck to you.
Thanks kenc. I didn't have to drain the whole pond just enough to find the leak.

K
K
Did you get it fixed? I sure hope so.

OP Offline
I think so it's not leaking half as bad as it did yesterday. when the pond clears up i'll get it stopped completely.

Last edited by small pond; 04/08/13 07:15 PM.

R
R
Cool lil pond you got there. Hope you got it fixed.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hey Small Pond. Hope you get the problem licked. Just noticed your post. Drums aren't idea for your trout and they will get stressed but if you can flow the water through it may work. Fortunately most trout are used to being reared in close spaces.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

K
K
How did the work turn out SMPD?

OP Offline
I got the leak slowed down a lot but it's not completely stopped up yet. I may have to drain the whole pond too work on it but that is only if the water starts going out faster than it's coming in. cecil If I do put the trout in barrels I will have the spring water flowing through. do you think I will lose any fish doing it this way

Last edited by small pond; 04/12/13 12:45 PM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
You'll probably be O.K. as long as they can't jump out.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/12/13 10:47 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

OP Offline
Today when I walked down to the pond I noticed I have a small seep coming out the back of the dam. Do I have to worry about this turning into a big leak? It's not leaking bad right now but I'm worried that it will start leaking more and more over time.

Last edited by small pond; 04/25/13 03:09 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Just saying.............

You know the Grand Canyon? It was supposedly formed by a river eating away at the dirt/rocks under it. Rivers start at a tiny seep somewhere.........

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:15 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:09 PM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by JabariStokes - 04/25/24 07:30 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/25/24 03:24 PM