Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,056
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
15 members (jpsdad, Donatello, Layne, Freg, Sunil, tws3, rjackson, jludwig, Shorthose, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Tinylake, catscratch, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1), 635 guests, and 178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#331353 04/20/13 07:48 AM
B
OP Offline
B
The ever changing stocking plan of my one acre pond now includes adding HSB next spring. Last fall I put in 250 HBG and the same of RES along with 5 lbs fatheads. This spring I'm adding another 5 lbs fatheads and another 250 HBG. I've got pallets staked all around for the fatheads to breed on--if it ever warms up--and I do plan on feeding. This fall I've ordered 50 walleyes. The plan is to skip LMB and add 50 HSB next spring. Since the pond is new, I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to experiment, and I've always loved wipers. However, I also know of their proclivity to escape. My pond is fed by runoff and has some flow through it. What do I need to do to keep my fish--especially the wipers in. Obviously, it will take some type of screen at the overflow, but I'm looking for ideas as to what specifically to use and how to design it. Thanks.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Never thought about that.

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I wouldn't be too concerned if the overflow is in shallower water. It'll be impossible to design an overflow screen that will keep fish from escaping and not plug up with debris just when you need it to be clean to let water out.

At least I don't know how to design one that'll be self cleaning.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
My pond is essentially connected to a decent sized year round stream. Any fish can come and go as they please.

While that's not my desired situation, I think most fish stay in the pond 'cause it has all that they need.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

B
OP Offline
B
Thanks. I was just wondering as our local river is now home to some quality wipers that escaped from two reservoirs upstream. In fact, some of the finest HSB fishing is usually located at the spillways where the wipers were stocked. Knowing their wandering ways, I was just concerned about keeping them in--especially during a flood situation. Muskies are also notorious for escaping, and certain lakes have constructed barriers to keep them in. I thought maybe there was a design out there someone knew about.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
One issue with mechanisms to keep fish in or out is that they also get clogged and can cause other problems in high water situations.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Definitely true that screens clog and can cause a problem. However in my trout pond where I have two outlets and continuous flowing water, I make screens out of plastic cage mesh like the following. My trout are quite small right now, and they have even more of a penchant to find running water and swim with it than other species.

They're made as a tube slightly bigger than the outlet drainage pipe and put together with zip ties. They slide on and off of the drainage pipe.I usually make two of them and just pull one off and put a clean one on while I spray off the algae and debris from the dirty one with a garden hose. Then that one's ready for the next change over.

I can get them them to clog less frequently by placing a floating boom of sorts in front of the drain. Not pictured, but I make a u shape with three pieces of 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe and two elbows. The ends are sealed with caps and of course the closed end faces the inflow. Floating debris such as leaves and floating algae gets stopped before it gets to the drain pipe screening.

It's also a good idea to extend the screening as far away as possible from the end of the drain pipe. That is, lots more surface area to slow down complete blockage. I run a drywall screw through the screen into the drainage pipe to hold the screen in place. It can be removed by hand and isn't screwed in very far.

More pictures:

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/21/13 04:23 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Brook,
That is one heck of a lot of apex predators all competing for a few scarce forage fish. I think the cupboards are going to be bare and the HBG will struggle at best to keep up with recruitment. Just sayin.
Why not native BG?

2008, 2011 & 2012 conference attendee.
Striving to be the person that my dog already thinks I am.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 07:40 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 07:28 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Donatello - 03/28/24 07:20 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB