Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,975
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
5 members (jmartin, catscratch, Kanon M, highflyer, Theo Gallus), 1,245 guests, and 347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
JWM, I have been in this tilapia stocking game as long or longer than anyone on this forum – since the departure of ML….that is … grin
As you know Boatcycle in Henderson began all this tilapia business 10 or 12+ years ago in Texas and it has caught on like wildfire since.

This may be long winded so bear with me.
I am a ”relative numbers” guy instead of “absolute” numbers – I am leery of
numbers of tilapia per acre - instead I like to look at it from a standpoint of what I need based on problems and opportunity.

When I have a minor FA problem I have stocked as low as 5-10 lbs and it worked well under normal conditions, but with drought stricken ponds my acreage numbers change,

Last year my 2-acre pond was recovering from drought-shrunken pond to about an acre with bad FA problem, so I stocked 10-15 lbs and it controlled FA quite well.

This year my 2 acre pond in N.E. Texas is ~3ft low and ~1.5 acres. With emphases on Florida LMB and introduction of Camelot Bell brood stock “WE” upped the numbers to 30lbs total – I gave you bad dope earlier with 30 lbs/acre.

Forum advice requires caution – when I speak of “WE” upped the numbers; I don’t rely on forum advice but seek the advice of professional fisheries biologist/consultant.
I am fortunate in having one of the best – he takes a look at our pond and makes the call, whether to up the numbers or adjust, depending upon FA problem and forage plans.

Aeration is important but you guys with lakes rather than ponds have mother natures best wind aeration ever – we have recently installed surface aeration in addition to bottom diffuser system to handle frequent Texas drought conditions
Good luck on your program,
George

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
The 100# plus rates were used with some considerable success by Jeff Slipke when he was at SEPM and is easily researched on their website...20# per acre is going to be for algae control...not for mass forage production. Both are possible, but the most "common" reason to stock Tilapia is primarily to control algae with the forage being an added benefit...when stocked FOR forage production, it is done quite differently with more knowledge needed along with supplemental feeding being needed to reach goals desired....Even in Texas, Mozambique stocked at 20#/acre would be considered "typical" stocking mainly for algae control.....Give Todd Overton a call, he will help you out.

J
JWM Offline OP
OP Offline
J
George1- I appreciate the reply and the information. I imagine the longer growing season we have doesn't require near as high a stocking rate as the northern lakes will to receive the same forage benefit.

Rainman- Thanks for the info and I will definitely try to find the webpage you referenced. I have been in contact with Overton Fisheries and hope they will be able to come out and do a full survey soon!

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Ben Franklin

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty."-Thomas Jefferson
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: I JWM I
I imagine the longer growing season we have doesn't require near as high a stocking rate as the northern lakes will to receive the same forage benefit.

I think it's either the growing season, or that the FA gets a good head start on the Tilapia before the water warms up enough to safely stock them in our Northern ponds.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Most of the northern waters may also be more fertile...

J
JWM Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I wouldn't be surprised if the waters were more fertile as well. I had a client in Michigan when I was working there that took me fishing in his 20acre pond. The water in that pond was a crazy coffee color. He got a big kick out of me calling everything a "perch" and how I referenced the approximate weight of the fish I caught instead of length. I got ribbed pretty well for my accent too. Good times!

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Ben Franklin

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty."-Thomas Jefferson
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Yeah, up here these are Perch:

and these are Bluegills:

grin

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Not too sure about the fertility issue. You have to remember that our record breaking Texas droughts have left many of our ponds with low water if any at all.

When our two acre pond shrunk to one acre and had not "flushed" in three years, fertility was a major issue - and still is.
G/

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

J
JWM Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Spoke with Overton's and hopefully all will go well and they will be out to do a complete fisheries survey first week in May! I am going to have him bring out the second batch of Tilapia for me as well.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by sprkplug - 04/26/24 11:43 AM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by gehajake - 04/26/24 11:39 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by gehajake - 04/26/24 11:26 AM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length