Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,814
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,513
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
4 members (ArkieJig, buzzdpm, Steve Clubb, Bobbss), 1,038 guests, and 222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Sarcasm...yet another free service I offer.
OP Offline
Here are some pics taken this morning of my trout. The water is perfect and it's warm for the first time this year.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
You've done well.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
OP Offline
Thankyou.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Fantastic.

How big are they at this point? And, do you plan to try and feed them until it is too warm for them? Or, does your pond stay cool enough for trout in the summer?

I intentionally didn't put any trout in over this past winter for a variety of reasons. I sure miss them now. My 10 year old grand daughter came out this afternoon and wants to go fishing. Usually she and friends would be having fun with trout this time of year.

Thankfully, the bluegill have started to sluggishly bite. So we might try some of them.

I had to go to a public lake yesterday to get some to make trout spread for tomorrow's dinner.

P.S.
Quote:
The water is perfect and it's warm for the first time this year.

Unfortunately, it looks like starting tomorrow through mid-next week it is going to get cold and rainy/snowy again. Oh well, at least today is incredibly beautiful. I would guess you have the same beautiful clear blue skies and warm afternoon sun in Somerset, as I've got here.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
Fantastic.

How big are they at this point? And, do you plan to try and feed them until it is too warm for them? Or, does your pond stay cool enough for trout in the summer?

I intentionally didn't put any trout in over this past winter for a variety of reasons. I sure miss them now. My 10 year old grand daughter came out this afternoon and wants to go fishing. Usually she and friends would be having fun with trout this time of year.

Thankfully, the bluegill have started to sluggishly bite. So we might try some of them.

I had to go to a public lake yesterday to get some to make trout spread for tomorrow's dinner.

P.S.
Quote:
The water is perfect and it's warm for the first time this year.

Unfortunately, it looks like starting tomorrow through mid-next week it is going to get cold and rainy/snowy again. Oh well, at least today is incredibly beautiful. I would guess you have the same beautiful clear blue skies and warm afternoon sun in Somerset, as I've got here.
Well I stocked two different sizes at different points the majority of the trout in the first pic are 14-15 in, and in the one in the second pic is about 18.5 in. I do plan to feed as long as the pond is cool enough witch it should, but this summer will be the first for my pond. even if it does get warm I dug out a little inlet where the water will eventualy flow in at. That should stay well below 65 all summer. And as soon as the ground dries up i'm going to build a small raceway to keep the trout in while I dig the pond deeper luckily my buddy has a 20 horse cub cadet front end loader and will be digging a road down to the pond so he can dig it out a little for me when that project is done the pond will be about 7 ft deep. I'd dig it by hand but their are some realy big rocks at the bottom that kept me from going deeper in the first place plus when he offered to do it for free how could I resist. so the pond will definatly stay cool enough for trout all summer. it's not really big and it's completely in the shade with a good cool spring feeding it. one Nice day is better than none at all it was in the low 50s all day perfect conditions in my book.

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Good job, sp. Keep doin' what your doin'...

Just do it...
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Those are some nice trout. It would be great if you can keep them through the summer. Ground water in this area stays around 53-55 degrees. So, if you have enough water in-flow, you should be able to keep it cool enough and oxygenated enough to keep them happy. I have friends a little east of you in McConnellsburg who have about a 2 acre pond that keeps trout year around.

If they start to look groggy, quickly invite them in for dinner.

Sunil's pond is just a few miles north of "metropolitan" Somerset. It stays pretty cool. I'm just not sure if he can keep trout in it throughout the summer.

If your friend has an older 20 hp Cub Cadet diesel in the 7200-series, with a front-end loader, he can do a lot of digging. They were built by Mitsubishi for Cub Cadet, and those things were beasts. Or, if he has one of the newer Cub Cadet/Yanmar 20 hp tractors, they are even more beasty and can really move a lot of dirt. If he has a rear blade or landscape rake, he can also gradually pull a lot of dirt and sediment out of the pond.

You need to make friends with a kindly neighbor who has a backhoe. grin

Good fishin' -- and yes, today was an incredibly beautiful day here in the neighborhood. My granddaughter and I put enough 7-9 inch bluegill in the cage at the end of the dock for a neighborhood fish fry. We'd have gotten more, but the chickens raided my worm bin, and we ran out of worms.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
OP Offline
That's what I noticed too the water is currently coming into the pond at 55 degeres with 15 gpm water flow the lowest water flow I've ever seen was 3 gpm...from our spring anyhow. sunils pond isn't but 15 minutes from our house. we're in Hollsopple just a few miles down stream of the Quemahoning Reservior. Sounds like your grand daughter can fish better than my cousin all he catches are snags glad you had fun. those are memorys she'll never forget.

Last edited by small pond; 03/30/13 06:58 PM.

K
K
Those are some pretty trout. It was a beautiful day and I spent it dunking minnows with a new good friend on BigBluegill.com. I know you won't let a few rocks stop you from doing what you want. Good luck.

Two ponds, 13 and 15 acres on the Mattaponi River.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
Protecting Minnows
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:43 PM
Major Fail
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:32 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM