Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Dux96, cgmbny, cgoetz1, BarkyDoos, beauphus
18,520 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,998
Posts558,355
Members18,520
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,585
ewest 21,512
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,156
Who's Online Now
11 members (bmicek, Brian from Texas, Seyahmit, FireIsHot, Sunil, Theo Gallus, Bigtrh24, ewest, Mainer, TEC, JoshMI), 998 guests, and 178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Sometimes the best route to take isn't the least painful one....... wink

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Scott my young friend, you are forgetting your manners.... shocked
IT ALL DEPENDS!!!!
Now go back on topic...! laugh

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
laugh

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
M
OP Offline
M
Can BC's live through a mi winter?

If fishing is luck, I make my own luck
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
It depends, like everything else. How deep is the pond, how bad is that particular winter, is there aeration, etc, etc, etc...

M
OP Offline
M
The pond ices over there is a large fountian the pond is 8 ft or more, can a BC survive?

If fishing is luck, I make my own luck
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: mitchfishman5
Originally Posted By: esshup
What are the species and sizes of each species (largest size and average) that are in the pond now?
there is probably about 20 20lb common carp and posibly around a hundred to 200 bluegill about 5 inches each

That's not very many bluegill for a one acre pond. If you truly only have that many I'd question they are stunted. There can be other reasons your bluegill seem small.

1.) You're not catching the big ones
2.) Lots of predator fish.
3.) Over fishing of the larger fish.
4.) Too cold of water for good bluegill growth.

Hybrid striped bass may be illegal in Michigan. You will want to check.

If you find a source for tiger trout in Michigan let me know. I've never been able to find one that does the proper health testing.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/03/13 08:47 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Omaha
Hybrid striped bass will not reproduce in ponds, but will survive through the winter.

Actually I know of a couple instances where they did but it wasn't significant. Apparently some of them were close enough to the parent species to not be sterile.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
My pond is only 9 feet max depth probably 6 1/2 feet average depth. By using a small compressor and diffuser in shallow water to keep a little ice open, depth isn't an issue for me as far as winter kill. I do have some issue with some morts and fungal infections on a few fish but overall the fish are healthy.

I've just moved up to 300 yellow perch, 32 smallmouth, and at least 100 bluegills out of that pond with more to go once it's drained down.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/03/13 08:46 PM.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Here is the HSB info-

Hybrid striped bass are "functionally" sterile. The 1:200,000 probably applies to hybrids spawning with hybrids. However, the males of both species commonly run with either striped bass or white bass, and they certainly can produce a back-crossed generation with either. For example, hybrid males running with striped bass females will produce offspring that are 3/4 striper and 1/4 white bass genes.

The "functional" sterility comes from the difference in egg types for the two parentals. Striped bass have eggs that are nearly neutral buoyancy, and along the east coast they spawn in rivers that carry the eggs while they develop and hatch. If the eggs settle to the bottom, they typically smother and die in the organic/silt layer on the river bottom. Eggs need some oxygen, which crosses the membrane. White bass have heavy, sticky eggs. In rivers, they spawn on gravel riffles. The sticky, heavy eggs attach to the bottom and the current keeps them clean and oxygenated. Hybrid striped bass eggs are halfway in-between. They are too heavy to float with the striped bass eggs, settle to the bottom, and generally die. They are too light and not sticky enough to stay on the gravel if spawned in a riffle. They wash off, into a pool below, settle on the organic mud that usually has low or no dissolved oxygen, and die.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Originally Posted By: Omaha
Hybrid striped bass will not reproduce in ponds, but will survive through the winter.

Actually I know of a couple instances where they did but it wasn't significant. Apparently some of them were close enough to the parent species to not be sterile.

I've heard rumors as well, but for the sake of this discussion I went with the common answer. grin

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Mine weren't rumors. One was a gravel pit where hybrid stripped bass escaped a floating cage operation. Hybrid striped bass showed up at one point that were much smaller than any planted. The Dentist that ran the operation sweared up and down they were hybrid striped bass. I had another aquaculturist tell me he's witnessed it too.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Like Stubby's pond.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E

Last edited by ewest; 04/05/13 09:21 AM.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Originally Posted By: ewest
Like Stubby's pond.

I think this is the one occurrence I recalled. However, if asked my a pond owner, I will tell them either no or unlikely to happen.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Was there any studies done on the offspring?

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Hey, Josh! No studies. I really, really want to catch one of the babies! We should have some over 14lbs right now (not the babies)and I'm scared to death to hook one of those guys with a fly rod. smile The babies usually eat at a different time and place than the big guys do (when they eat.... Steve hasn't said if they are eating or if it's just the trout right now). I try fishing in that spot but it's a little early for them to be biting. We'll take really good photos when we catch one. I think I mentioned a few years ago that when Steve had to drain his pond and we had to manualy relocate each fish by hand to a holding cove... I counted 94 adult HSB and 42 (or 41) babies. And one baby rainbow!

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Stacy, I want to see a video of your fight with a 14 lb Hybrid Striper on a fly rod - what a blast - they will take you into the backing in a heartbeat! cool
What size fly rod?
My favorite for HSB is a Temple Fork Outfitters 8-10 wt MiniMag.
Makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck and I can only dream of a 14 pounder. grin
George

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Good evening, Mr. Glazener! Trust me, it WILL be on video! You are SO right about taking the backing.... gone! Last one I caught over a year ago was 10lb 12oz and it was on a 8/9 wt fly rod with a 12lb leader.... does that sound right? We were using a 6/7 wt fly rod but upgraded just for the HSB. Steve doesn't think that'll be enough for this year's bunch. He said we'll have to go up to salt water gear! They are a crazy long fight! You know you have one we you start feeling that "jerking" and pure muscle taking off with your entire line!!! I bet it was a 20 minute battle (at least it felt like it). It went from one side of the pond to the next and back again.... I was exhaused! Boy, was it FUN though! smile

You have an open invitation to fish our pond anytime! It's gorgeous during the summer!

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Stacy, at risk of being sanctioned for hi-jacking "Stocking a Stunted Pond" thread, I think we are OK talking about stocking Hybrid Stripers - my favorite pond fish on the fly! cool

OK, we are in the clear... grin
“Last one I caught over a year ago was 10lb 12oz and it was on a 8/9 wt fly rod with a 12lb leader - He said we'll have to go up to salt water gear!”

Tell Steve the Temple Fork Outfitters MiniMag series fly rods are salt water fly rods modified for Largemouth Bass in heavy cover.
They are 3 piece rods with butt section engineered with high modulus “S” glass, mid section “hybrid S glass/carbon fiber, and tip section high modulus carbon fiber - almost indestructible! They are my favorites - smoothest action ever for me!

I recommend the 6-8 model, uplined with a WF-9-F fly line, the best suited for Hybrid Stripers tossing Stubby Steve flies IMO.

Yeah, I am prejudiced - I did most of the field testing for these fly rods.
More important, Todd Overton of Overton fisheries is a TFO dealer - give him a call!

Finally found someone to talk to about fly fishing for HSB!
Thanks Stacy - Stubbys rule!
George Glazener

PS: 1st photo HSB caught on prototype MiniMag - all were caught on Stubby Steve pellet flies.
G/

Trophy HSB:

1/4 acre pond:

Last edited by george1; 04/06/13 07:19 AM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
George, I really, really like the Mini-Mag that you convinced me to buy. I'm not knocking it at all, but for my next purchase, can you recommend a rod that is longer? I'm just used to using a rod that is longer, and some of the ponds that I'm fishing in are down, and I'm standing up to 8' below the soil at the top of the pond.

It's hard for me to keep remembering to keep the backcast exceptionally high to prevent hitting the ground on the longer backcasts with the shorter rod.

If Stacy gets one of those Mini-Mags, I'm sure she'd love it. It's perfect for those larger fish, especially when coupled with a reel that has a drag system - no more palming the reel.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Scott, there are some really good affordable fly rods on the market but I am only familiar with TFO fly rods.
Light weight fly rods are the rage right now, and TFO's most popular is the BVK - unless pressed for time I have several weights that you can try the next time you are in the area.

Another favorite of mine is the TFO Axiom, which is a little cannon but heavier than the BVK. I recall you have the MiniMag 8-10? For a companion 9 footer, you might like an 8 wt Axiom for your style of fly-fishing.

Problem recommending fly rods long distance is that it is subjective and really depends on your casting style - I like to cast a fly rod and match the line to the rod to get the "feel" of the rod before I purchase.

Knowing you as I do, already having a heavyweight for tossing big bugs, I would suggest you take a look at a TFO 9 ft - 8wt Axiom fly rod...

Now how's that for hi-jacking "Stocking a Stunted Pond"?
Back on topic - a fly IS a management tool - right? grin

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thanks George. No time constraints. I'll see how long my Scientific Anglers rod is....

www.hoosierpondpros.com

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Thank you for your advice, Mr. Glazner! I showed this to Steve so he knows what I want for fishing! We will contact Todd about it. I'm really excited about it!!!! Those are wonderful photos of your HSB. They are amazing fish to catch and dare I say eat! smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Tacoma Bob
Recent Posts
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by Theo Gallus - 05/09/24 01:43 PM
Tilapia with Winterkill
by ewest - 05/09/24 01:12 PM
How much feed?
by TEC - 05/09/24 12:59 PM
Is my feeder toast?
by TEC - 05/09/24 12:55 PM
Finalizing Plans for Floating Dock and Ramp
by jludwig - 05/09/24 11:31 AM
My First
by FishinRod - 05/09/24 11:17 AM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by Brian from Texas - 05/09/24 10:25 AM
Happy Birthday Augie!
by jludwig - 05/07/24 11:47 AM
Swimming Pond Center Fun Ideas
by tlogan - 05/07/24 07:23 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 05/06/24 09:36 PM
Aquaculture Business/Equipment for Sale (Ohio)
by Theo Gallus - 05/06/24 07:19 PM
Trees on dam
by esshup - 05/06/24 06:08 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023
Deer at Theo's 2023
by Theo Gallus, November 13
Minnow identification
Minnow identification