Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,075
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,412
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
16 members (DrLuke, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, Requa, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer, Blestfarmpond, Snipe, RAH, Rick O), 820 guests, and 205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Omaha
I know TJ is a generous dude, but does this post mean he just gave you Condello Strain Bluegill for free? If that's the case, man, you are one lucky man!

If that's the case, then sign me up! TJ, I can bring a 300 gallon oxygenenated/agitated tank for pick up. How many thousand do you think will fit?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Sometimes when I see a friend's pond where the fish won't take the bait I recommend that he rotenone the pond !

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Lovnlivin, hey, care to address my questions? Did you cage your CSBG? I cringe at the thought of them being released only to be expensive fish food.

And if you're not comfortable posting what you paid for those CSBG, please PM me when you get a chance. I have many pond owners in our area interested.

OP Offline
[quote=Lovnlivin] it's unfortunate with my forage issue (or lack thereof) that I didn't cage them for growth/survival when I got them.

Time will tell if there are any survivors. quote]

Omaha, sorry I didn't reply earlier. I mentioned in my post that I did not cage them and now dealing with the hindsight 20/20 issue. And now understanding more of what the CSBG are, I cringe as well.

It's my first pond and discovered PB in May, what did I know? But certainly have learned a lot since then. Regarding the CSBG, hindsight is also telling me I should have left the source unnamed or just not mentioned them. I was just trying to give credit where credit is due.

Still learning

The 1500 BG I have coming as a corrective measure to my lack of forage WILL be caged until safe to release to the wild!

Last edited by Lovnlivin; 03/26/13 10:44 PM.

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Originally Posted By: Lovnlivin
[quote=Lovnlivin] it's unfortunate with my forage issue (or lack thereof) that I didn't cage them for growth/survival when I got them.

Time will tell if there are any survivors. quote]

Omaha, sorry I didn't reply earlier. I mentioned in my post that I did not cage them and now dealing with the hindsight 20/20 issue. And now understanding more of what the CSBG are, I cringe as well.

It's my first pond and discovered PB in May, what did I know? But certainly have learned a lot since then. Regarding the CSBG, hindsight is also telling me I should have left the source unnamed or just not mentioned them. I was just trying to give credit where credit is due.

Still learning

The 1500 BG I have coming as a corrective measure to my lack of forage WILL be caged until safe to release to the wild!

CSBG have been a big deal around Pond Boss for years. It took so many years of a lot of work to develop those genetics, so that’s why you saw the interest in obtaining them. One generally doesn’t just stumble upon them. Good for you that you found TJ who had some to offer you. Please PM me what you paid for them or give me permission to PM TJ myself. I don’t want to intrude on the deal you made with TJ, but I would like to inquire to the availability and cost of them.

And no worries about name dropping. TJ is a well-known and well-respected member here. I’m sure if he took issue with you publicly naming him as the source he would have asked you to edit the post.

OP Offline
Omaha, just as a minor (and hopefully insignificant) correction, TJ found me, the same way you all introduce yourselves and welcome us newcomers to PB and for that I’m very grateful!

And, as I was originally just looking for insight on cage-culture (thank you Cecil), I really didn’t want to go here but due to "inquiring" minds I will try to simplify things for those showing interest. My apologies if anyone finds this offensive.

I rent this place, moved here in April of last year and not knowing if I will be here one year or maybe 10 I’m just excited as heck that I have a pond! A pond that’s been neglected, weed-choked, blanketed in DW and just shy of ugly, yet with great potential because it is in-fact A POND grin

I discovered PB in May, started cleaning up the pond with a fish(ing) goal of LMB and BG. LMB for me, BG for the kids. I then have a complete fish-kill in June, so after the Fluridone treatment cleared up my pond, my son and I start fishing area lakes & ponds for BG as I had already invested enough ($700 for Fluridone and nearly $2k into aeration, etc.) into a property I don’t own. Why buy them from the local supplier? Heck, I can get BG from the local lakes and ponds, and gives me a good reason to go! 2 or 3 of us fishing at 30-45 per day, sounds like productive fun! I didn’t know then that there are many species of BG/Sunfish, some of which I might not want in my pond. I thought they were all just Bluegill. I’m a bass fisherman, what do I know?

A local PB’r who had been offering help and advice, as so many of you had (and do), and knew of my fish-kill and starting over, graciously says if you can bring me a cage I’ll start collecting BG, very possibly to save me from the mistake of transferring species from area lakes/ponds that I really didn’t want in MY pond. I graciously accepted.

He says they’re Condello Strain BG. He explained the genetics and how they came about. So, I’m thinking Ok, cool! Were they all CSBG? I have no idea if he has other species of BG or if they’re all CSBG, or whether they’re male, female, etc., I guess he’s the one who could answer that. I still have a hard time distinguishing between BG, HBG, CNBG, RES, GSF, etc., let alone CSBG which I know now are obviously not going to be found at the local lakes or a buddy’s pond.

I built a cage, we deployed the cage, the cast-net went out, we separated the tadpoles and the BG went in.

I then put together (adding aeration) a 100 gal Rubbermaid stock tank, drove back out to get them around the 1st week of October and we guessed about 175-200 went in the tank. It was getting late, there wasn’t room in my pickup for the cage too (nor did I even think about caging them) so off I went to introduce them to their new home and in the pond they went. This is where some of you may cringe as I had just stocked 100 6-8” LMB and 100 6-8” HSB just 30 days before on September 1st, let alone the 20 or so LMB at 10-14" and the two 3 1/2 lb'ers lurking around in there too. Yep, all of which I put in there crazy In hindsight, my stocking plan was so terribly backwards, lol.

Personally, I had a great time out there with TJ and his friend, we fished for and netted BG and I learned how to tie on a pellet-fly (?) to wrestle one of his fighting Wipers.

Respectfully, this account is of course from my perspective, a newbie/first-timer certainly knowing more now than I did then and,

Still learning

PS - Hopefully I’ve addressed the concerns and curiosities for those interested. For those not interested, sorry to bore you with all the details. The pics below give you an idea of how far I've come with this pond, and not without the help of the folks on PB

PB rocks

Attached Images
Duckweed pond (2).JPG Before shore cleanup.jpg Fall pond photo.jpg
Last edited by Lovnlivin; 03/27/13 08:10 PM.

(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Offensive because there are now a bunch of CSBG being digested by bass? grin

I'm very offended by this! shocked

That was very generous of TJ. Wow. If my math is correct, you received over $500 worth of fish! Someone can correct me if I'm wrong with this number.

Is he going to help you out with more since you might have lost those?

Thanks for the explanation Lovnlivin. The first pic you posted is atrocious! The other two look pretty nice though. Quiet place. Put the kids to work and buy the place! grin

OP Offline
Um, likely not to help out with more and honestly I don't think I or my pond is worthy of the CSBG, at least certainly not now. I have a lot of corrective work to do. Many others understand their value much more than I do at this point.

As far as putting the kid to work, the trustee for this place has alreday been offered $1.55m for it but luckily for me he has no intention to sell. So my only hope is Powerball which I didn't used to buy until I moved here shocked .

And the way the pond looks now compared to then, a day does not go by that I'm not out there. It can really put a mind at ease and I'm taking full advantage of every day I have here. It's like living at a camground for one.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Um, likely not to help out with more and honestly I don't think I or my pond is worthy of the CSBG, at least certainly not now. I have a lot of corrective work to do. Many others understand their value much more than I do at this point.

Uh oh, he's not mad about what happened to the fish is he? You didn't know any better. As long as you work with him to do it the right way this time, I think it could work out. You still need the forage and those genetics are the best you can get, especially in the Midwest.

As far as putting the kid to work, the trustee for this place has alreday been offered $1.55m for it but luckily for me he has no intention to sell. So my only hope is Powerball which I didn't used to buy until I moved here shocked .

I never understood renting a place, but if it's something you love, I suppose compromising is on the table.

And the way the pond looks now compared to then, a day does not go by that I'm not out there. It can really put a mind at ease and I'm taking full advantage of every day I have here. It's like living at a camground for one.

That's got to be a good feeling. Fulfilling for sure. We're getting some better weather (saw a small moth today actually) so keep those pictures of the place coming as it gets greener.

OP Offline
As far as renting I'll call it a sacrificial compromise to follow my dream.

After owning a home for over 20 years in the city I knew in my heart I belonged in the country. I wasn't getting younger, my son was on his own, yet I could not afford the acreage I wanted and stay close to family. Land is outrageous here!

I rented a farmhouse on 160 acres which was great but never stopped looking. 3 1/2 years later I found my little slice of an 80 acre paradise. I tried for a lifetime lease but settled on a 2 year renewable @ $500 monthly (which is almost wrong in every way). I'm a fairly decent handyman so it's working out great for the owner who lives out of town, and for me as he gives me free reign. His dad lived here and said it hasn't looked this good in 20 years.

Being a project junkie I'm now living my dream and will ride it for as long as the good Lord (and landlord) allows. Sorry, I could go on and on about this place.

Right now it's finding my slow leak from the damn muskrats (I believe) so it will stay full without running the well. Many holes along the damn cry

Last edited by Lovnlivin; 03/28/13 06:15 AM.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
I grew up on a farm, moved to the city to be closer to work. Now I'm trying to get back out there.

So what's the plan with the pond? Just a wait and see approach at this point or are you going to cage more bluegill?

OP Offline
I can about imagine how much you miss it!

Regarding fish, I have 1500 3-5" BG (biggest I could afford) coming around mid April which I will cage and feed until safe to release, I'm guessing at 6-8" or better. I'd just like to get at least one if not 2 spawns out of them this year so we'll see how the growth goes and when they're released. The bigger the better due to the predators. I'll also do EVERYTHING possible to get those 2 hogs out of there, 4+ lb LMB.

ALso, as the water warms and I start feeding again, I'm hopefull for the return of the feeding HSB that I stocked in Sept. That would be very encouraging!

On the leak in my pond, I'm letting the water level drop which is about 2" per week. If it stops I have likely found out where it's leaking and may try the bentonite route but I'm still researching my options and it will depend on the source of the leak.

Also, I will be cutting all wild brush and trees that have sprouted on the face of the damn over the years. Not sure what's growing but maybe I can post a pic for ID. To me they're weeds but some stalks are 1-2" in diameter. Other than that I'll be removing as many unwanted trees around the pond as I can as it's currently surrounded which brings a lot of leaves in the fall cry

I know your question was regarding the fish issue but there's my overall plan for spring cool.

Last edited by Lovnlivin; 03/28/13 11:30 AM.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
I would also like to add RES but I'm not sure where to get them. If you have any ideas, I'm open for suggestions!

Same place you got your CSBG. At least I think TJ has RES.

G
GCA Offline
G
What is the significance of Condello Strain BG??? Are they fast, prevalent breeders?... What do they look like in compared to say a CNBG? I'ma needn some education here! : )

R
RER Offline
R
from what I uderstand they simply look larger in photos for some reason?

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
CSBG have been selected by Bruce for the fastest growing fish, with shapes that resemble dinner plates (very round when viewed from the side). IIRC he selected the fastest growing BG for about 10 years and I think the project is still ongoing.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
K
K
Lovnliving, you have a very cheap rent but the owner is getting someone who is making his property better. He will probably want to retire there. You may want to take that into consideration while spending your money on his place. The feds will try to get rid of the mortgage deduction shortly and if they succeed renting will become the rage. Good luck.

Two ponds, 13 and 15 acres on the Mattaponi River.
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: kenc
Lovnliving, you have a very cheap rent but the owner is getting someone who is making his property better. He will probably want to retire there. You may want to take that into consideration while spending your money on his place. The feds will try to get rid of the mortgage deduction shortly and if they succeed renting will become the rage. Good luck.

Kenc, even if he does retire here (he's 56) and even if it allowed me only 5 more years here, I'd be the happiest guy around having been given the opportunity to live at a place I've only dreamed about.

The future holds no guarantees so I live everyday as though it may be my last day here. But FWIW, he has no desire to live here (it was his dad's place), only to keep it from being sold and developed and pass it on when he's gone. For him as he lives an hour away, he no longer has to drive in 2-3 times per week (poachers, upkeep, etc.) and he knows it's being maintained and cared for.

I do have much invested here but the return I get on a daily basis is worth every dime and every aching muscle. I'm rewarded every day I pass through my gate entering the property.

To me a small price to pay to live at my own secluded campground, complete with pond, forest and running creek.

The way this place looks now after being neglected for the past 5-10 years is fully attributable to folks like you on PB that help rubes like me realize a dream.

Thanks for the good luck wishes!

PB Rocks!

Last edited by Lovnlivin; 05/19/13 04:42 PM.

K
K
Lovnlivil, you have done an amazing job on the farm. Having made my living by renting out homes, I can tell you that you are the kind of person that a landlord loves. If he does decide to retire there, I might try to get him to let you build a small vacation type home on the property somewhere. If you could lifetime rights to the property and let it revert back to the farm at the time of your and wife's passing his children would probably want to do this. I know I would love to have someone like you to take care of one of my farms. I salute you and the best of luck to you.

Two ponds, 13 and 15 acres on the Mattaponi River.
OP Offline
Kenc, thank you so much, those were very kind words!

(one minor correction though, I'm divorced grin )

There are other people involved in the trust, with my landlord as sole trustee. So like he says, as long as nothing happens to him I'm in good shape and I can rent the place as long as I want. But if something does happen to him and your ideas fall on deaf ears, I will be looking for another place to take care of as my own. So I may be moving to VA grin

Originally Posted By: kenc
Lovnlivin, you have done an amazing job on the farm.

Again, thank you for that!

One of these days I'll put together a "before and after" but it will also include the work I've done on the house, outbuildings, lawn & grounds, etc. So maybe I can separate the "pond management" portion to post somewhere here if anyone is interested.

And actually, I think I could have a full thread of my own just on mistakes and bloopers crazy

Thanks again, Ken!

Keith - PB Rocks

Last edited by Lovnlivin; 05/19/13 07:03 PM.

G
GCA Offline
G
Ahhhh!!! I got it, that would explain some of the pics I have seen in video on youtube that look like BG on steroids!!!! thanks for the Info!!!

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: GCA
Ahhhh!!! I got it, that would explain some of the pics I have seen in video on youtube that look like BG on steroids!!!! thanks for the Info!!!

Bruce Condello has done some amazing things with those BG, as I'm learning as well. Have you checked out his website?

www.bigbluegill.com

I can't even imagine!

Hm..I see that mugshot of that guy before, and that monstrous thing that has been stuffed and swimming in a pool of steriods wink LOL CSBG is well crafted. I still can't believe the results of careful genetic isolation and recombinant that he has been putting into creating these titans.

However, genetics from careful breeding and proper feeding are not the only factor. He's blessed with a high quality water body to perform his experimentation with. Environmental factors play quite a bit of critical role in producing such marvels.

Leo

* Knowledge and experience yield wisdom. Sharing wisdom expand the generations with crucial knowledge. Unshared wisdom is worth nothing more than rotting manure.
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Bruce has a website devoted to BG? Huh. I never made the connection......... grin

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by DenaTroyer - 03/28/24 09:38 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy