Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,088
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (LANGSTER, Sunil, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371, Augie, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, PRCS, Theo Gallus), 746 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Sorry to hear that Bullhead. Very sad.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
About 35 years ago me and a friend got drunk, put on football helmets and took his bike on on the expressway for a run. We were going 120mph. Somehow we didn't wreck. Never been on one since. Just plain stupid.....

Just do it...
Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: rmedgar
About 35 years ago me and a friend got drunk, put on football helmets and took his bike on on the expressway for a run.

Was that you?

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I guess I always considered that when your time was up, that's it....whether you're on a bike, automobile, airplane, farm tractor, whatever. If it's your time to go, then you're gone....no matter the circumstances. Are bikes more dangerous in a crash than a car? I think so, but just how much control over our own mortality do we actually have?

Despite growing up with a father and grandfather who were Baptist ministers, I am no longer what I would consider a religious man, but I know that many here are, and I'm trying to remain respectful to everyone's beliefs and abide by the forum's rules....if I overstep, please remove my post, and accept my apology.

With that being said, and doing my best to tread carefully, I still hold that when whatever force governs this universe decides that your time is up...that's it.

Would a bike crash be the reason for my demise, or merely the most expedient, available instrument through which it was accomplished? If I swerved around a pickup truck and avoided being killed, have I in fact cheated death, or simply followed through with what was supposed to happen in the grand scheme of things, because it wasn't yet my time? It's beyond my feeble grasp to even ponder.

"There are times, when all the world's asleep..."
"The questions run so deep...."
"For such a simple mind"

Zep, I'm sorry you had to witness such a thing, I know it would bother me too. I hope you can find some peace.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Zep, I'm sorry you had to witness such a thing, I know it would bother me too. I hope you can find some peace.

Thanks sprkplug...I know I will never forget it...I felt so helpless...I hope I don't always think of it turning into our place.

This great song is my little tribute to the guy:

The Weight

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Tony:

I agree 110% with what you said. BUT, I don't go around teasing Tigers or going out and playing in traffic either. Yes, I believe when it's your time, it's your time, but on the other hand I don't tempt God's will as much as I used to. (like exceeding the speed limit by triple digits.....)

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Agreed - try to weigh the scales in your favor as much as possible, if longevity is your primary goal, and get off street bikes, curtail dangerous activities like hang-gliding, parachuting, mountain climbing, etc. For some, longevity isn't a goal - and I get that, too. Still - when your number is up, it's up.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I hear you guys, and I understand what you're saying. Probably even agree with it. Still, I think the lynch pin of the entire conversation hinges upon just how much control we actually exercise over our own destiny, while remaining true to our individual beliefs and faiths.

For me, I was unable to reconcile the two disciplines, and as the questions began to require more substantial answers, I chose a different path. I've found that the answers may be more tangible along this road, but still yet are by no means guaranteed correct.

Either way....divine intervention, or human error, a life was cut short in front of Zep's place. And everyone who was touched by the tragedy will have to come to terms with it, in their own way.

To the unknown rider, I wish for smooth pavement beyond the horizon. To his friends and family, I wish for peace.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
I also used to think that it didn't matter what I did. Now, that I've lived beyond the time I should have been allotted, I've slowed down on a lot of things.

I'm trying to spend at least a little time not teasing and tempting fate.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
K
K
I have been told that we all have a predetermined date of death but that you can hurry along the process by how you live. I am amazed at how many older motorcycle riders that are in SW Fl., you need not wear a helmet and not many riders wear one. Of course there are not any old people driving huge cars and every week there is a terrible meeting of a car and motorcycle. The cars are winning the battle handily. I might hasten my departure by fishing to much but I won't get on a motorcycle.

Two ponds, 13 and 15 acres on the Mattaponi River.
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Not to change the subject but it really is time for a major change....
I know as americans we love our cars....But we really need to elminat them and find a better way...
wether we get cars the will drive with out a human at the wheel or mass transit...The death tollreally is just too much...
I'm in ca. and the stat is that there has not been a day without a fatality on the road since the 1960's

Cars are not the problem anymore than Big Gulps, firearms, or dogs loose on the street. It's humans that cause the problems, and you can't legislate that.

Too much texting, phone talking, makeup being done, alcohol, aggression, etc. The problems are inattentive drivers, not the cars themselves. IIRC, mass transit works best in pre WW2 cities where the population centers were built up, and not out. If I lived in Boston, NY City, or San Francisco, I'd be all over public transportation.

I agree, I wish there was a better way, but transportation restrictions would bring the flyover states to a standstill.

AL

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Agreed. When I was younger (early 20's) I biked (pedaled) 9.3 miles (according to MapQuest) one way to work. Because of the traffic, I'd make better time coming home on the bike than in a car.

Couldn't do it 10 years ago - 35 mile one-way commute. Now? No way. Distance and gear needed. wink

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Without transportation life would be much different and not necessarily better. More people with less driving sense (distracted) makes for problems. Like all tools cars/trucks need to be used properly. People need to be accountable for their actions and act responsibly. Freedom is the right to make choices even if the choice is not wise. If we sacrifice freedom for temporary safety we will end up with neither safety nor freedom. I am now off the soap box.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 03:32 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday