Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
macman59, jm96, flowindustrial, ksueotto58, John Folchetti
18,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,782
Members18,481
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,505
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,140
Who's Online Now
10 members (Groundhog7, Sunil, gehajake, CentexSaj, Augie, catscratch, wps456, teehjaeh57, Shorthose, Tinylake), 895 guests, and 239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Tough day the pond yesterday...I saw something absolutely horrible.

Yesterday morning I was about a 100 yards from the front gate planting some flowers...heard a loud crash. Hopped on the 4wheeler to investigate.

When I got up to the gate it was a terrible scene. A large pickup truck had just collided with a guy on a motorcycle right in front of our gate.

The two other motorcycle riders were frantic and starting to administer CPR. I looked right into the poor guys eyes....I think he was already gone. He was wearing a helmet but it did him no good. A few minutes later his poor wife drove up, and of course was hysterical as they started to lay a sheet over his body.

I share this story and pictures because if any of you that have bikes would have seen what I did yesterday I think your bike would be already be on CraigsList.

This poor guy got up Sat morning for a nice "safe" ride out in the country and now he is gone in an instant. The guy in the pickup was able to drive his truck away almost without a scratch.. Motorcycles just dont have enough protection. God Rest His Soul....he looked like a really nice guy...and now he is gone....just heartbreaking.

His buddy doing chest compressions:

Officer worried about other cars crashing into accident scene:

Fishing has never been about the fish....

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Last Thursday, one of our AP clerks learned her father was just killed in a motorcycle accident in Texas.

But, as we all know, a like amount of people also just died in car accidents too.

Sad thing to see for sure.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Tragic accident. Probably everybody involved were innocents, but their lives were changed forever in an instant.

Sorry you had to see that Mark, it happens much to often.

AL

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I rode for a lot of years, and finally decided it was just too risky. I quit riding in 1976.

In 1976 I sold a 1963 HD Sportster C and my 1974 Honda CB-750 K4.

I've been at too many funerals, and still visit too many victims. Not one was at fault, but they are still dead or in wheel chairs,

A hit from a robin in the chest at 65 mph during a club run took a close friend's life. Waiting at a red light when two 15 year old girls in a parent's stolen Cadillac ran over a friend's Sportster, resulting in a lifetime of parapalegic hell in a wheelchair. And, there have been so many more.

I was lucky. I lived through several mishaps, some of my stupidity, some that couldn't be predicted. I personally would not ride again.

Last edited by catmandoo; 03/17/13 05:10 PM.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
The fact that everyone I know that rides has had at least one accident is good enough for me to stay off.

Sorry to hear about the accident and you had to witness it Zep.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Zep years ago I saw a similar thing (standing about 100 feet away). Guy on motorcycle going a bit fast down the road when a guy parked on the road side opens his door which the motorcycle hits. Guy goes airborne and hits a telephone pole. Dead on impact. No way I will get on a bike on the street.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
When I was growing up, Dad has a couple of friends sons die on a bike. Unrelated accidents. He said that if I wanted a bike I'd have to find another house to live in.

Snowmobiles was a different thing. Those were O.K.

I don't want to sound heartless but:

At least he died quick, and doing something that he liked to do. Not withering away in a bed for an extended length of time.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
i didn't realize that so many people got hurt in motorcycle accidents i've been in some prety bad accidents on my motorcycle but i've never been seriously hurt. i can relate to the saying if your gona be dumb you better be tough. this summer im definatly gona slow down a bit it would realy suck to be in a wheelchair the rest of my live. it's not gona stop me from riding tho. i still need a way to get to the fishing holes around our house. if I was you zep i definatly wouldn't have had the gut to take pictures realy sorry you had to see that most people would be tromatized.

Last edited by small pond; 03/17/13 07:21 PM.

Sarcasm...yet another free service I offer.
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I've worked my share of motorcycle fatalities. Most of the times its the rider who is doing the dumb thing. I really feel bad for the guy on his motorcycle doing nothing wrong who gets creamed... The worst one I worked was the guy on the crotch rocket who hit the back of a dump truck at about 85 mph. There wasn't much left...

Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: small pond
if I was you zep i definatly wouldn't have had the gut to take pictures

the driver of the truck asked me to for insurance purposes,
at first he could not find his phone...
he was very upset and visibly shaking.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Did you find out how it happened Zep?

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Zep, Thank you for reminding everyone to be aware of their surroundings. Sometimes bikes and bicycles are hard to see. Also thanks for posting the pictures (that makes me at least more aware).

Hope you and the driver are doing alright. Thats a tough situation for both of you two to be in.

Prayers to the mans family!

Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
Did you find out how it happened Zep?

CJB....we'll probably never really know exactly...there are so many little variables....but the guy in the truck was looking for a house for sale....he realized he had just passed the house for sale and was looking for a place to turn around. he saw our gate area which is kind of a nice little paved/gravel area that vees off into another county road. So the driver of the truck said he slowed down to turn around and one bike flew past him right as he was about to turn in....then a split second later as he was turning into our gate area the second bike and his truck collided. the driver of the truck claims he did not panic stop when he turned, he claims he had his blinker on...Maybe the bikers thought in a split second "here is a country bumpkin slowing down to let us pass"? Like I say we may never know. The other two bike riders that were with the guy that died never showed any animosity or anger towards the driver of the truck. You would think if the truck driver had done something wreckless like just suddenly panic stop to turn around those guys would have shouted something....they never did.

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
They say there are only two kinds of motorcycle riders. Those who have had an accident and those who will.

When I pray I occasionally thank God that neither of my boys wanted to ride. Now I gotta start thinking about my grandkids.

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Mark wow what a sobering experience, sorry you had to witness that. I found it strange the police officer wasn't administering the CPR, just standing there talking to that guy. Did anyone else find that weird? Maybe he was already gone?

I rode scooters and motorcycles from the age of 11 to 20 or so. I stopped riding after we started routinely hitting the bars in college...I learned quickly too much could go terribly wrong after a few cocktails. I'm still amazed I'm alive, frankly - and there's no way my son will ride a bike in the city. That's what the farm is for.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

K
K
SMPD, Doctors don't call motorcycles, donorcycles for no reason.

Two ponds, 13 and 15 acres on the Mattaponi River.
Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Mark wow what a sobering experience, sorry you had to experience that. I found it strange the police officer wasn't administering the CPR, just standing there talking to that guy. Did anyone else find that weird? Maybe he was already gone.

TJ...that picture is a bit mis-leading. The police/sheriff did not arrive for at least 15-20 minutes as we are few miles out from town. By that time there were cars pulled over in the grass on both sides of the Farm To Market road. It was a crowded accident scene. Some guys were trying to direct traffic as only one lane could get thru at a time. The police officer was concerned someone might crash into the accident scene. As you can see in the top pic a truck is passing the scene. It's a relatively busy two lane Farm To Market road that leads to a State Park. When the police officer arrived at the scene she came over to the body and watched the guy doing chest compressions, but like I said it was pretty obvious the victim was gone. His eyes were fixed...no blinking...just that terrible death stare and blood was coming out his mouth and nose. At the point the pic was taken she was trying to make sure no one else got killed at the scene of the accident.

Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
I've been at too many funerals, and still visit too many victims. A hit from a robin in the chest at 65 mph during a club run took a close friend's life.

Wow Catmandoo....a guy hit a bird and it killed him?

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I was riding about 7 years ago when I came around a corner and someone had spilled sand all over the road. Looked like someone had tried to sweep it off. It done no good for my bike. I rode on top of it till it hit dirt on side of road. I had no protective gear on besides helmet. It threw me 30 feet and my hands and knees filled with gravel. This all a week and half before my wedding. So on honeymoon in Miami I got to limp around on south beach with bandages on hands and knees. I rode till last fall when I had to sell bike to help pay for clay liner for pond. Last spring freind from work was driving down highway 63 after work when a 80 year old man pulled out in front of him and nearly killed him. He was going 65mph and slammed in to back corner of truck. Muffler of truck gave him 3rd degree burns. He is making an agonizing recovery still. The man that him gave up his liacence after. He was very traumatized by whole event. Not even month later a fishing buddy of mines dad hit the cable barrier on I44, he didn't stand a chance against those cables at that speed. All that being said i still miss my bike on nice days. Sorry to hear about these events at the end of your driveway and prayers to everybody involved.

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
When I lived in Southern California, a VERY close friend and business partner of mine was riding in the desert with his 12 yr old son. They had all the protective gear - chest protectors, shin guards, gloves, helmets, etc., etc. Denny (the son) was in front and Steve was behind, dodging Dennys' dust cloud as they went down a dirt road. Not cross country, but not a real groomed road either. It was flat enough that cars could go down it, but it wasn't on any map. More like an improved fire trail, but in the desert.

Don't know how fast they were going. Denny saw the road washed out ahead due to a flash flood that came thru earlier in the month (water was gone, ewverything was bone dry, but it was a wide and deep wash-out) and turned. Steve didn't because of the dust cloud. He hit the other side of the washout and broke his neck. They were about 10 miles from camp. Just those 2 were out there. Denny had to leave his dad laying there and drive back to camp for help. I was told that Steve died instantly. Denny never rode again, and was still going thru counseling 4 years later when I moved back to Indiana.

Kenc, remember when you said the good die young? Steve was one of the good guys.

Another friend here in Indiana had a Kawasaki Enduro. He rode it to work, and did some minor trail riding. He was out riding by himself riding slow, when the bike took a turn, and went over, with his leg underneath. He said he went to drive over a small tree trunk that fell over the trail at an angle, and the front wheel turned to follow the tree instead of going up and over. Luckily he had his cell phone in his pocket, because it fell just right, breaking his leg. The bike was undamaged except for one broken mirror. He sold it after his leg healed.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Originally Posted By: kenc
SMPD, Doctors don't call motorcycles, donorcycles for no reason.

I avoiding posting something like this, but it's true. My wife worked in the SICU at Parkland Hosp. for over 20 years, and motorcycle riders were called donors.

Always a sad situation, and the cyclist never seems to win the auto/motorcycle collision. To much texting, cell phone talking, make up applying, etc. to be on the road for me these days. Now, they're adding touch screen dashes to newer cars. Things will get worse.

Last edited by FireIsHot; 03/18/13 05:00 AM.

AL

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
In 1966, I laid a bike on it's side and slid up under a semi. I've had dirt bikes since then but won't even sit on a street bike. I wouldn't take one if it were given to me.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Thanks to all.
It's amazing how many "bike stories" everyone has.
I know I will never forget Saturday.
Be safe!

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
I think I'm going to try to talk my brother into selling his bike.

Lunker
Lunker
Happened to my nephew last summer. Just out of the Navy, good job, newly engaged, gone in an instant.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jenna
Recent Posts
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by CentexSaj - 04/18/24 03:32 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Joe7328 - 04/18/24 12:48 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by Joe7328 - 04/18/24 11:49 AM
Chestnut other trees for wildlife