Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,812
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,513
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
7 members (TLL, catscratch, Fishingadventure, esshup, John Fitzgerald, Bill Cody, Waxaholic), 1,060 guests, and 253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
OP Offline
Lots of good imfo guys i'm amazed at how much atention this thread has goten. thanks alot.

Sarcasm...yet another free service I offer.
M
mpc Offline
M
HI FIREISHOT, Anyone who serves deserves Americans respect and support. Firemen,nurses,police officers,National guard,Coast guard and our military all do their part to keep the fabric of America alive and well, so we can do what we want to do and be free doing it. Thanks again.
I have a good friend that is a firefighter, has a second job like most firefighters do, and in short he and his family deserve more,IMO, at the end of the day,but another subject for another time.
Been to A&M a few times doing the Aggie Shuffle as a Refinery Vol fire fighter/ Operator on a CAT Unit. I have a Idea Idea what you do day to day. For me, just a few real life ER responses over 20+yrs of labor.

Life is more fun with a pole in your hand.
OP Offline
Today we put in a wireless alert system for the pond it was only twenty bucks, and it's supposed to reach 400 ft the pond is 200 ft from the house and it didn't reach. Is that because of all the trees and wind disrupting the signal? anyhow it doesn't reach the house so I took the alarm to the pond and hid it in a pile of logs now if some one even attempts too get close to my fish the alarm goes off. It already scared away it's first trespasser. I was walking up to the house when I heard the alarm. I ran too see what was happening and their was a guy running as fast as he could down the steep the hill to the rr tracks. I wish I had this system earlier. I've counted about 30 times and I've only seen 3 of my prized big brookies and 16 of my smaller brookies. I originaly stocked 5 big ones and 20 smaller ones.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I sure hope you get it under control. I irks me that someone is taking advantage of your hard work and basicially stealing from you.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
BTW Small Pond did you see here where I related how I freaked out a pond owner thinking someone caught a bunch of fish from his pond and just threw them into the woods next to it to decompose? It's kind of funny if you haven't heard it.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/03/13 09:09 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

OP Offline
No I didn't could you make a link to it. Thankyou.

K
K
Smpd, try to get the game warden in the loop. It is probably one of your neighbors that are walking to your pond. Sure hope you are able to stop the SOB'. Take care and good luck.

Two ponds, 13 and 15 acres on the Mattaponi River.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I'll just tell it again.

The guy that built my house knew someone that had a pond out in a remote area and said it would be O.K. to fish it. So I did. Anyway being a taxidermist and renting from the builder while he was building my house he wasn't too keen on the left over fish carcasses in his dumpster, as they were getting quite ripe. We're talking some big fish as in 15 pound northerns, up to 12 pound walleyes, lots of 4 to 5 pound bass, etc. etc.

So I decided to take the carcasses out to the pond and dump them in the woods adjacent to the pond and let the coons and possums clean 'em up. It didn't take long and there was a padlock on the gate to the pond and a no trespassing sign. Some real serious attempts to keep people out. My thinking is the poor owner seeing the decomposing carcasses thought the fish had been taken out of his pond and just discarded in the woods. Probably got all hot and bothered about it.

The funny part is the fish in the pond were no big deal and nothing like the carcasses.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/03/13 09:11 PM.

OP Offline
Thanks for sharing that story cecil. I'd have hated to be the guy finding the dead fish carcasses tho I would have figured it out sooner or later. BTW I came across a fish taxidermy website named baird taxidermy It has to be yours right? If so I loved the coffee table mount. whoever did those mounts is a real pro.

Last edited by small pond; 04/03/13 09:23 PM.

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: kenc
Smpd, try to get the game warden in the loop. It is probably one of your neighbors that are walking to your pond. Sure hope you are able to stop the SOB'. Take care and good luck.
No it's definatly not one of our neighbors most are really nice and are what I call living fossils. They are not in any kind of shape to disturb my pond. Thanks for the advice next time I see fish and boat officer i'll ask him about checking the area once and awhile

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I wouldn't wait 'till you see them - give them a call.

That is Cecil's site that you saw.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
K
K
SMPD, are you sure they didn't walk to your pond? If they came in a vechicle you could get the plate number and the warden could go talk to them. Sometimes that is enough to make them stop. They usually walk in so that people does not tear up their ride. Around here some people(not me) will destroy a vehicle that is trepassing. Call the state board and a game warden will get back to you. You are learning the hard way about property ownership. Don't let the SOB' discourage you. Good luck!! BTW,how old are those fossils? Mid thirties perhaps?

L
L
As far as your range on the alarm, antennas can be directional light flashlight beams. Sometimes you have to fart around with the antennas to get the reception.

Does the unit have a specification to list the operating frequency? I can help out if you let me know. If say 2.4GHz, you can remove the included antennas and replace with highly directional ones and then get fantastic range.

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: esshup
I wouldn't wait 'till you see them - give them a call.

That is Cecil's site that you saw.
Thanks I see the officer pretty often but I will give him a call.
Originally Posted By: kenc
SMPD, are you sure they didn't walk to your pond? If they came in a vechicle you could get the plate number and the warden could go talk to them. Sometimes that is enough to make them stop. They usually walk in so that people does not tear up their ride. Around here some people(not me) will destroy a vehicle that is trepassing. Call the state board and a game warden will get back to you. You are learning the hard way about property ownership. Don't let the SOB' discourage you. Good luck!! BTW,how old are those fossils? Mid thirties perhaps?
The living fossils are late 60s to mid 90s. A couple of years ago at the river below my pond a guys car got a dead battery. He was not trespassing, and a couple people that were swimming saw the car. when the guy came back the car was on blocks the windows were smashed, and all of the wires in the motor had been cut. those are the kind of people I have to deal with at my pond.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
This is an interesting story about a ranch property burglary in May 2012 out near our place. The deer cam made the arrests possible.

"Van Zandt County Game Wardens Trent Herchman and Steve Stapleton were contacted July 18 by a local ranch owner concerning a unique photograph taken on his remote-sensing game camera.

The photo showed a female subject, who had a very distinct tattoo, holding a white-tailed deer fawn.

The photograph had been taken in May, on the same date and time the ranch had been burglarized and several firearms, miscellaneous hunting equipment and a Polaris Ranger ATV were stolen.

Unable to identify the subject in the photo, wardens conducted a press conference seeking public help in naming the female subject.

Wardens soon received several Operation Game Thief calls, all of which identified the woman in the photo, giving her name. The pair of wardens also received a tip concerning the suspect’s location in Smith County, and went to that location accompanied by Wood County Game Warden Derek Spitzer.

Wardens found the subject at the residence and questioned her. She confessed, and identified her accomplice.

The investigation led to a substantial amount of stolen items being recovered, including three guns and the Ranger ATV.

The case was turned over to the Van Zandt County Sheriff’s Office for prosecution, where burglary of a habitation, trespass and unlawful use of a motor vehicle were filed on all subjects."

Fishing has never been about the fish....

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: small pond
The living fossils are late 60s to mid 90s.

Now, be careful! A number of us here resemble that remark! grin

I would guess you are right that it probably isn't one of the fossils.

I was always curious about road signs I saw on the way to/from Sunil's. On the highway, on both sides of the road leading to the "metropolitan area" where his pond is located, there are warning signs that say "DANGER High DUI Accident Area". We always figured it was because of Sunil's and friend's Peroni consumption. But, Sunil explained that the road through the neighborhood to his property has a bad reputation for drugs.

I certainly wouldn't fool around with these people. For about three years, at our previous home not far from here, in what had been a very rural nice area, we went through hell. A number of nasty things happened. It got taken over by the drug trade and all the druggies and low-lifes dealing with them. It stretched over three generations. We regularly had beatings, killings, intimidations, etc. I never left the house without either my shotgun or baseball bat. I spent many sleepless nights at roadblocks in front of our property with Sheriff's deputies and State Police officers. That was 8-10 years ago. The last of this group just got life sentences about two months ago.

When these people were drugged, they didn't care if I was an old fossil with a 12-gauge. They had no fear of death or retribution. They beat people to death, and near death, on a regular basis. They tried to intimidate me night and day -- like driving up to our bedroom window at 2:00 AM while flashing their headlights and honking the horns on their vehicles. Then they'd do circles in my lawn. One cut down a very nice blue spruce from my front yard a few days before Christmas, dragged it to their house, just before he started a year-long sentence on the day after Christmas. I put nothing past the druggies.

I'd call the game wardens and sheriff's office for surveillance. They have training in dealing with these types of people.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
K
K
Amen to that.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
SP,
You probably wont find a wireless device that is capable of 400 feet for 20 bucks. It would be line of sight, so trees would knock it out. Wind won't have any effect. Rain and snow would, so would someone standing in the way.

Pretty much everyone mentioned to call the Sheriff, and there seems to be a delay!

I had a few nephews your age, and they tended to pile on the BS in their younger years, saying stuff happened, when it did not. They are older now, and respect things on the side of facts.

52yo Geezer!

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: JKB
SP,

Pretty much everyone mentioned to call the Sheriff, and there seems to be a delay!

I had a few nephews your age, and they tended to pile on the BS in their younger years, saying stuff happened, when it did not. They are older now, and respect things on the side of facts.

52yo Geezer!
I can asure everyone here that i'm NOT BSING we have called the police all they said is that without good evidence they can't do anything. So basically until we get a picture of someone down their i'm screwed. although we have not called the fish warden yet.

K
K
JKB didn't mean that,SMPD. We are allin the same position that you are. Our court system is set up to protect the innocent, therefore you can not be convicted of a crime with only the landowner as the witness. It must be a impartial witness, even your cousin would probably not hold up in court. Just try to get the law to do the work, it takes a long time but it usually works. The old saying, what goes around comes around is correct but is a slow process. JKB was saying that police do not follow up on young people as fast as they may on adults. JKB, ah 52 The beginning to learn to live without my prostate, what wonderful memories.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Small Pond, this place is pretty well geezered to death. Yessir, there are some seriously old goats here.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Yep we should rename the site "On Golden Pond."

Old pond owners never die. They just smell that way.

OP Offline
Maby yall should pass these out at the pond boss confrence grin

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Some day you'll be one too Small Pond. grin It happens faster than you think. shocked

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/04/13 09:43 PM.

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Some day you'll be one too Small Pond. grin It happens faster than you think. shocked
getting old has to be nice at times. The other day when I called my buddy up to go for a walk he said he couldn't cause he was busy...yeah right. So I asked him what he was doing, and he said he was keeping the couch warm.

Last edited by small pond; 04/05/13 10:49 AM.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
Major Fail
by Donatello - 04/19/24 01:48 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM
Protecting Minnows