Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,057
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
15 members (jpsdad, Dave Davidson1, Saratznj, Donatello, Layne, Freg, Sunil, tws3, rjackson, jludwig, Shorthose, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Tinylake, catscratch), 650 guests, and 183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
OP Offline
I like your ideas alot I bet frozen paintballs would hurt. just regular ones will put you in a world of hurt i know this because the yahoos down at the river have shot me before. the jerks

Last edited by small pond; 03/15/13 09:48 AM.

Sarcasm...yet another free service I offer.
Originally Posted By: esshup
I heard frozen paintballs hurt too...........

That would be very correct!

AL

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Originally Posted By: esshup
I heard frozen paintballs hurt too...........

Yes, they do.

G
G
Lots of good suggestions, but I particularly like the one from "Adirondack Pond" regarding the use of inexpensive motion detector alarms. It would be best if you could place a couple of them somewhere that would be hard to quickly access. No one in their right mind would stick around with an alarm going off, especially if you had no trespassing signs posted that also warned of video surveillance. Anyone who would not be deterred by this is either someone you know, or is someone so crazy that you'd probably not want to confront anyhow.

This unit got some pretty good reviews for only $20 at 130db.

www.amazon.com/dp/B001GS4LU0/ref=dra_a_cs_lr_hn_it_P1400_1000?tag=dradis-20

It only has a 20' range but for $20 several could be purchased and placed out of reach. Apparently not loud enough to bother neighbors but at least maybe a deterrent!

After following this thread (and as a minor hijack) I decided to check on Nebraska laws and we seem to have it pretty good here:
Signs DO NOT need to be posted, but encouraged.
Nebraska law states that any
person entering property for
hunting/fishing/trapping without
the express permission of the
landowner/renter, is either
trespassing or hunting without
permission. "Although “No Hunting” and “No Trespassing” signs help to discourage people from illegally entering private land, they are in no way required to keep people from hunting someone’s personal property"

Special signs that state “Hunting by written permission only” can be posted on a landowner’s property. These
signs allow law enforcement officers to contact hunters in the
field and require them to produce written permission, by
the owner, stating they are allowed to hunt the area. Failure
to produce a document granting permission enables the law
enforcement officer to issue a citation without the landowner
being present.

A landowner can take down
a vehicle license plate number
and write down a description of
the individuals involved. This
information, along with a signed
affidavit by the landowner
stating that the parties in question
did not have permission to
hunt, is often times enough for
law enforcement (Game & Parks
or sheriff) to cite a person for
trespassing. The landowner is
also not required to be present in
court.

And lastly as I'm a renter:

Nebraska law says that
unless formally stated that the
owner retains hunting privileges when the
rental agreement is established,
the operator has the hunting
rights and ability to grant
permission to hunters on land
they rent.

Just some additional info from another state and for fellow Nebraskan's!

One final note although signs don't seem to stay up too long, place a sign that states:
IF YOU CAN READ THIS YOU HAVE BEEN CAPTURED ON CAMERA. IF YOU TURN AROUND NOW AND LEAVE THE SAME WAY YOU CAME IN, THE PHOTOS & VIDEO WILL BE TIME-STAMPED THAT YOU LEFT AND I WILL NOT PRESS CHARGES

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
OP Offline
Thanks lovnlivin for the link looks like a good deal. wish PA's laws were that good. little update i caught the guys getting ready to poach this afternoon. they pulled upto the rr tracks in a blaze orange pickup witch was realy stupid cause i was at the pond and as you can imagine it stuck out like a soar thumb.then two guys got out of the truck and got two fishing poles when they got close to the pond i jumped out of the woods and asked them where they were going fishing of coarse they couldn't answer me.so i asked them what that sighn up behind them said and he said no tresspassing. i ended up telling them why they couldn't fish the pond and that i had there license number so he agreed not to come back.

F
F
I would still report it to the officials. If you have more problems from them, at least there is a documented record to back you up.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
small pond, while I'm glad you caught some of the guys, you've got to be real careful dealing with these guys. Going solo is not good for anyone of any age. I hope you weren't alone.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Never saw a "Blaze Orange" pickup, nor any other vehicle in that color.

This is MI tho, and I am sure someone has one.

Usually, criminals prefer to go UN-detected, so they can get their activities accomplished and move on.

This is what I like in Orange:

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Sunil
small pond, while I'm glad you caught some of the guys, you've got to be real careful dealing with these guys. Going solo is not good for anyone of any age. I hope you weren't alone.
No need to worry sunil i had my buddy with me forgot to mention that in the post. jkb heres a pic of what the truck looked like maby its not blaze orange but it is orange.

Attached Images
orange gmc.PNG

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I would rather have the one I posted in Orange flavor laugh

I have a truck!

Last edited by JKB; 03/15/13 06:57 PM.
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Sometimes things aren't worth dying for... Having approached a hunter who was trespassing on my family's land and then having a shotgun pointed at my head, it makes you think twice.

Please be careful confronting trespassers... Sometimes, the wisest thing is to observe from a distance, obtain the best descriptors you can and a license plate is very helpful if a vehicle is involved. Then make these reports to law enforcement and hope they are willing to assist you.

OP Offline
wow cj scary story if they do come back i will be sure to take their license plate number and get the cops involved i can assure everyone that i won't approach a tresspaser by myself but like i said i did have someone there with me so i was plenty save.

K
K
I know several landowners who have been threatened by SOB' on their property. I try to get the game warden to do the heavy lifting.

Two ponds, 13 and 15 acres on the Mattaponi River.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If you have their plate number and description, even tho they left I would call the Game Warden and tell them what happened, giving them a description of the people and the plate number. They could be doing that to other ponds in the area and just haven't been caught yet.

Don't forget that they saw the no trespassing signs and blatently disregarded them.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
M
mpc Offline
M
Hey all, thanks for all the good interaction here. I have never killed, but know a couple of people who have been needlessly killed for various reasons.

Here is my point,as we all know the world we live in today is different, in that there is at best less reverence for human life IMHO.

I do care for people in general, but, I do know that things can get out of hand quickly. That being said, I feel that most if not all here, have family that depends on us,and we have our own life to consider One may be called on to protect yourself or your loved one(s) at a moments notice. Like "Boy Scouts" be prepared, if a knife is required, have one and try to know how to use it. As well, it may require a better equalizer such as a hand gun and maybe one should have it open carry or conceal and carry, as needed and know how as best one can, how to use it. If those two items will not fit the scenario, one should have a long gun/rifle, close at hand, under the proper circumstances, ie. on the deck,tractor,or traversing one property or woods and know how to use it. Don't ignore the law,just know the law, IMHO.

To put it in perspective and hope no one thinks i am nutty,radical etc.,that is not really the case, all I ask my friends or family to do,is just call, or if it is an emergency come over and holler so I know someone needs help etc. I think that is fair. I say, although some, for some reason, do not like Game wardens, I am not one of those people. The Wardens have the strongest laws on their side and respect land owners. Wardens may not be a friend, but if they know you, they will help you. I am not saying the police or sheriffs would not help,but Game Wardens work under different laws. To put it another way, my Pastor is a sheriff, but I would call the Game Warden first.

All that said, IMHO, most of the time I am in a compromising situation on my place day to day,if I am not prepared for worse case scenarios. Of course the Wardens nor the police are there. I need to be prepared as best I can, so I do not have to think about it or worry about it, and I don't.The vast majority of the time I am prepared and never give it a thought. When I am not prepared, That is when I worry.

We are lucky in TX. in that we have rights as home and land owners.

If one is dead or worse laying in a hospital seriously wounded, by some nut, or trespasser etc., 2nd amendment rights don't mean much. If one is whole and has defended ones property or loved ones and that trespasser or nut has been removed from ones property,say a prayer for them and let God sort it out.

I do not want to offend anyone here and so I respect all opinions and views, but it would be best for those who wish to trespass or do harm on my property, know the rules and laws around where I live. Many of my neighbors feel about the same.

I wish the best for all Pond Bossers' and no harm for any of us or our families.

P.S. A 45APC with steel ball/hollow point every other shot, is a great tool. As well a 270,30.06, or even a full choke shot gun can all be pretty helpful, in a willing hand.

Last edited by mpc; 03/15/13 10:59 PM.

Life is more fun with a pole in your hand.
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
Sometimes things aren't worth dying for... Having approached a hunter who was trespassing on my family's land and then having a shotgun pointed at my head, it makes you think twice.

Please be careful confronting trespassers... Sometimes, the wisest thing is to observe from a distance, obtain the best descriptors you can and a license plate is very helpful if a vehicle is involved. Then make these reports to law enforcement and hope they are willing to assist you.

Please reread this and absorb it. I will say this; it is just as impossible to keep someone off your property, as it is to keep a bank from getting robbed, your car from getting broken into at the mall, or Anonymous from stealing some celebrities’ personal info. The big issue here is how you handle a face-to-face confrontation, and how much help you can provide law enforcement about the particular property violation.

Is the trespassing an act of ignorance, or a lack of respect for you and your property? These two situations should be handled very differently. If it’s a father and a son with a snoopy rod, then a casual but firm conversation may be all that’s needed. If that person is obviously impaired, trying to hide when you approach them, or carrying a weapon, then I would retreat to a safe distance, and make a phone call to authorities as quickly as possible. Provide LE with as much info as possible, and certainly get the vehicle info if you can.

Well defined property lines, no trespassing postings, and controlled entryways give you a good start to protecting your property as best you can. If you’re a weekender as we are, do you make a quick drive around of your cabin/barn/property line fences and check for open doors, cut fences, or missing equipment, we do. If anything is disturbed, we stay in the truck and make a phone call.

I know a retreat may not be the most satisfying action, but having been in hundreds of very tense shooting/stabbing situations throughout my career, I always tried to be situationally aware and leave myself an exit route. Confronting a person in the woods on your property is no different.

If a violator cut your fence, or just crawled over it, then find or fix that entry location and put an additional no trespassing sign right there. That may be all that’s needed. You let that person know that you know they came in, and that it’s unacceptable for them to do so. As said, placing game cameras there may be a great option for documentation also.

And lastly, we all think we know how we would handle a face-to-face trespassing violation, but we really don’t until it happens. As a police officer, I think CJB would agree that walking into a potentially violent situation can be handled by “What the F*(& are you doing here?” or “Can I help you?” One response can easily escalate the situation and put the trespasser on the defensive, and the other may calm things down just a smidge. The two goals should be 1, to get that person off your property and not have them come back, and 2, get safely back home to your family.

Just my 2 cents

AL

L
L
In some ways I am a little different. I am happy to have hunters attempting to thin the herds of deer. So when I spot someone I don't know, I stop then, say hello, explain to them I want them to get more than the largest buck they can find. I am close to offering a bounty on the deer, but afraid of liability. So far this hasn't worked very well, as the hunters are all out to get a rack, not the meat it seems.

I don't have a lot of land, but it is surrounded by plenty.

The problem is I don't hunt myself, I don't care for $1K a pound venison (after purchasing all of the supporting equipment!).
Fishing by others in my new pond I may get upset about, but under no illusions that I wont get poached.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003

Shortly after my BIL bought his property, he was out back scoping out deer stand spots. A guy who lives down the road was hunting rabbits. He came up to my BIL with shotgun pointed at him making out like he owns the property and my BIL had to leave. My BIL got really hot and said more than a few choice words and told the guy that he better leave now. The guy did leave and never came back. BIL said it was a pretty tense moment and the adrenaline was really pumping.

I told you the story about this guy (trespasser) He's the one where they were all drunk in his garage when his kid threw a bunch of gun powder in the wood stove. The ensuing fire took out a propane tank, which leveled the garage and blew the north end of their trailer off. It took a few years for the blue tarps to go away that were covering up the end of the trailer. He also has a nice concrete pad where the garage once was.

We have had people drive out back without license plates on their vehicle. My dad and brother chased them off. I have logs and stumps piled up on my road back. You can't see them until you turn the corner. It's also difficult to back out of that situation. I know where everything is, and I would be nervous doing that. Once you get past where the log's and stumps are, it's pretty easy going. I brought my 30' TT out back. Had to use my tractor to pull it (my truck is not that maneuverable) with spotters on each side. It was bugger getting thru that area and around the corner without doing any damage.

Last edited by JKB; 03/16/13 09:15 AM.
M
mpc Offline
M
First I want to thank Fireishot for your service. I wish more people respected officers and the law, more than they do.
I do understand to a point where you are coming from although,since I am not in the law enforcement arena,I do not know exactly. The law is a real stickler for those who serve too.
Anyway I would like to say I would just pull back in most or every situation and call you (LE),but sometimes it just does not work out that way. A professional (trained) is always the better choice and I hope I will always be given that choice.
Signs,cameras,and controlled access are all good tools.
I am sure you have seen an "innocent" killed for no real reason, and I guess I would not want to be one of those. Thank God that I live out in Rural East TX. and I do not have to see so much of that(killing,stabbing etc.) every day.
I am thankful too,that my family,friends and neighbors,call or holler.I'll keep you in my prayers for a safe return home every day.

Life is more fun with a pole in your hand.
Thanks mpc, but I was a stupid fireman. We usually got there before the police, but boy were we happy to see them show up. Hardest part was convincing a testosterone filled rookie that a blue uniform wouldn't stop a bullet.

To this day I still say thank you when I see an officer.

AL

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker

So true. I know of two cases where conservation officers were killed approaching poachers by themselves. One in Michigan and one in Indiana. So if some of these people have no qualms killing a LEO than a civilian is not a big deal.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Cecil, it happened recently in PA too. I think CJ went to school with the officer who was killed.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Cecil, it happened recently in PA too. I think CJ went to school with the officer who was killed.

Yeah I remember when he posted that. So sad.

My dad who was a Green Beret during the Vietnam era always told me the big downside to pulling weapon on someone is you have to be prepared to use it. If you put yourself in a situation where you have to use it and you hesitate it will probably be used against you. He's not a big fan of people that walk around in public places brandishing weapons for that reason.

He also told me the first human being you kill will always stay with you no matter how justified.

Ironically my dad has lost interest in weapons and I couldn't get him to kill any herons for me when i wasn't home when I had a federal permit to do so. Said he killed enough in his lifetime and wasn't going to do it anymore. Needless to say he doen't hunt anymore either.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 03/16/13 11:14 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
We're pretty much cool up at my property having to deal with trouble.

I'll start moving soon, and nothing is more enjoyable than doing my own thing, on my own property!

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 07:52 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 07:40 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 07:28 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails