Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,069
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,411
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
15 members (Snipe, RAH, Freg, Rick O, Justin W, bstone261, Theo Gallus, esshup, jpsdad, Bing, e_stallman, FishinRod, Augie, emactxag, Ron crismon), 750 guests, and 181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#324844 03/09/13 09:36 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Got another erroneous bill from my state IRS. They won't even specify what it's for other then it's either sales tax, use tax or employee withholding. I paid my sales tax in January all ~ $25.00 as I'm primarily a service business and as a service business in my state I don't pay sales tax except for my retail fish either frozen or mounted. And most of the retail frozen fish I shop are shipped out of state. Use tax doesn't apply and I don't have any employees. Now I get a bill in the mail for over $700.00!

I'll get it straightened out but really irks me is I'll probably be on the phone for hours on hold wasting my time because they made a mistake. Went through this another time with my BMV that claimed I didn't have insurance when I did. Even had my insurance agent vouch for me with documents, but that wasn't enough. I had to take a day off and drive to a location. When I got there I was only there for five minutes and they said, "You're fine." mad

Anybody else deal with incompetence with the government? I wish there was some way to get compensation when they screw up. I'd be a rich man by now.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 03/09/13 10:09 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I can't even go into my fiasco right now, not so much gov but tax man we've used last few years.. Put it this way he pushes the limit and it caught up

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
They don't really admit to mistakes now, do they wink

Been there many times Cecil.

If you're in business, no matter how small. Best thing to do is have a really good Lawyer and a rock solid CPA who knows how to deal with the IRS.

Don't get your taxes done at Walmart, or expect the internet to be your legal source crazy

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
The wife does the taxes in general with a computer tax program and we don't have any problems with that. It's the darn sales tax that's a PITA. I refuse to hire an accountant when I do all the work and all he or she does it look at it and collect a large fee.

The sad part is I'm 100 percent honest and don't do anything under the table. I know people that aren't and seem to have no problems.

Everybody complains about the feds but it's the state I have problems with. My dad got so fed up with Indiana taxing his military retirement and charging him 10 times more for vehicle taxes and plates than Florida, he became a Florida resident.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 03/09/13 10:15 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
It usually is state and local that causes the biggest problems.

My fees weren't large at all. Probably only 300-400 bucks per year for the whole shootin match.
I used Quick Books Pro with a subscription.(had employees) All electronic. I shoot it to them every month, they do their thing, and shoot it back. Pretty simple. It did pretty much everything for me on a daily basis that I had to do.

We didn't do sales tax tho. All our customers were tax exempt under Industrial Processing.

R
RAH Online Content
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
R
My wife had a problem twice with the Indiana IRS. Both times it was their fault with trying to double tax. The last time I got on the phone and asked for a supervisor which they said was not available, but then she popped on the phone and said that she had been monitoring the call. She tried to tell me it was their proceedure to send out a collection notice when the taxpayer sent in their return too early (in January rather than April). I asked to get our second payment back which we paid because the notice threatened to ruin our credit. Finally I asked if I could get a transcript of our call where she stated it was their policy to send collection notices if you paid too early (we had all the paperwork). They sent us the money back in a couple days. The local newspape would have had a field day with the transcripts of that call. This has not happened to us in the last couple years. I wonder if someone in the office has a scam going and is hoping by double taxing small payments that they won't get caught.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Cecil that is a common situation with especially state level tax authorities. I have a different twist resulting from battling them for clients.

I don't think most times its an error. It is a tax raising method. They make a policy choice knowing they are wrong and implement it knowing full well that many people will just pay. For anyone who calls in to contest they just say we made an error so don't pay the bill. Result is they collect a lot of money that is not owed , cause those who complain a bunch of time and effort and only have to answer a few make work calls. Cha-ching , cha-ching - don't you love taxing authorities ?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Wow Eric seems to be a double standard doesn't it? If you and I knowingly charged someone a charge that does not exist I'd think we'd go to jail.

Well first thing Monday I'll be on the phone. Just hope it won't take too long as I have a business to run.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: JKB
It usually is state and local that causes the biggest problems.

My fees weren't large at all. Probably only 300-400 bucks per year for the whole shootin match.
I used Quick Books Pro with a subscription.(had employees) All electronic. I shoot it to them every month, they do their thing, and shoot it back. Pretty simple. It did pretty much everything for me on a daily basis that I had to do.

We didn't do sales tax tho. All our customers were tax exempt under Industrial Processing.

First year I've done sales tax electronically. Wondering if it was a good idea now. But they gave me no choice. And like I said my taxidermy business is sales tax exempt except for when I do retail sales. That's the only resaon i have a retail license.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 03/10/13 10:22 AM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil, when I was in manufacturing, I had a lot of bills come across my desk. You'd be suprised how many of them were from companies that we never did business with. It was never for a large amount, nothing over $500 that I can remember. I think they were just sending them out hoping that they were small enough to slip thru the cracks and get paid. Sort of like the left hand not knowing what the right hand was doing.

They would have probably been paid if they had just gone thru accounts payable instead of my desk first.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: esshup
Cecil, when I was in manufacturing, I had a lot of bills come across my desk. You'd be suprised how many of them were from companies that we never did business with. It was never for a large amount, nothing over $500 that I can remember. I think they were just sending them out hoping that they were small enough to slip thru the cracks and get paid. Sort of like the left hand not knowing what the right hand was doing.

They would have probably been paid if they had just gone thru accounts payable instead of my desk first.

I've had that happen a few times, except they were large bills. One company sent me a bill for 5K for design work, and another company sent me one for about 8K for misc. parts. (no description, Misc parts is all it said) The first one was a simple mistake, as they billed the wrong company for the work. The second one was a shyster who was sending bills out to local companies. A friend of mine got one that said the same thing. I also got a bill from a freight company I never heard of for shipping a truckload of stuff across the country. I never shipped a truckload of stuff anywhere. I did ship my ironworker (miss that thing) to a trailer mfg. in Texas, but that was pre-paid and many years later. Those are the only ones I remember. I signed the checks, so everything had to go thru me. Oh yeah, I got a bogus bill from a company in the UK for some software I never heard of.

None of these had a website either except for the co. that made a mistake.

Last edited by JKB; 03/10/13 11:53 AM.
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
My county business property tax for 2010 was $73..2011 it was $273 for the same equipment (fish truck and office equipment)...county said they changed how they assess and it was not challengable. For 2012, with additional equipment (2 boats/trailers/motors and 2 laptops) on top the original, the total tax bill was $123.

Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Anybody else deal with incompetence with the government?

Perhaps a better question, "Anybody experience competence in the government?".

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dwight
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Anybody else deal with incompetence with the government?

Perhaps a better question, "Anybody experience competence in the government?".

Good one!

Did anyone see the story about the guy in Arizona or New Mexico LEO's booked and forgot about in solitary confinement for months. No trial, no charges related to a DUI. He won a nice settlement from the tax payers but now he's dying of cancer. Had some health issues from being neglected too.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 03/12/13 11:54 AM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Par for the course: Regional rep phone number is always busy (probably off the hook) and the state IRS takes you through all the # options and then tells you all their reps are busy. I sent an email as I don't have time to play phone all day. I need to make money to pay those taxes!

Gotta love this: The email didn't work but I finally realized the period at the end of the email address was not part of the email, but the put there as it was the end of the sentence!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 03/12/13 11:59 AM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Rainman
My county business property tax for 2010 was $73..2011 it was $273 for the same equipment (fish truck and office equipment)...county said they changed how they assess and it was not challengable. For 2012, with additional equipment (2 boats/trailers/motors and 2 laptops) on top the original, the total tax bill was $123.

Yep gotta find a more secretive way to get taxes as the politicians have pledged not to raise our taxes! My property tax went up 40 percent even though property values have barely inched up.

Our former governor is bragging about not raising taxes and leaving us a surplus. Uh huh.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:13 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails