Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
1 members (anthropic), 750 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#32483 09/03/04 09:27 AM
F
OP Offline
F
Well...those that know my situation....if not, look at thread titled "7500 feet"...just down from this one

this year we had a cooler summer and LOTS of rain...17 inches worth.....had the creek (water supply) off a lot this year and my surface aerator (fountain) died and i just never got around to fixing it!

I have had some fish kill...couple per day, I am sure it is oxygen related. The water temps have stayed around 60-64 degrees...lower than last year but no aeration whatsoever.

I am wondering if someone can make suggestions.

The pond is at the most 5 feet deep...rougly 300x100 feet. I am considering digging out half of it this year due to silt and duck poop etc. I cannot afford to do the whole thing this winter.

The fish plain old stopped biting around the middle of July and it still really hasn't picked up. In the spring they bit like crazy...then when the water temps came up they stopped.

Should i aerate? If i dig it to 8 feet deep in one half should i run a fountain? Uggh...anyone want to come out and see it and get paid for consultation?

I really need help...if the fish don't bite next July/August, my wife might make me sell this place....I dont wanna.

Thx in advance.

Tony Neumann
Owner
Fishing in Cascade

My Pond
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
If I remember right you have a spring feeding your pond. How far does the water flow from first surfacing untill it enters your pond?
Most springs are devoid of oxygen. If sufficient grade is available you could possibly aerate the spring water before it enters your pond. Cecil Baird feeds his trout pond with well water which he aerates.
With only 5 ft depth you shouldn't have stratification & the low DO associated with it.

Quote:
I drop my approximately 52 degree well water fresh out of the well into a series of five gallon buckets filled with plastic media to break it up adding oxygen (well water has zilch for oxygen)This also blows off gases like nitrogen and sulfides and carbon dioxide if you have any.
Here's the link: http://www.pondboss.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000040

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Here's my thoughts...don't automatically assume oxygen depletion. Typical oxygen depletions cause larger kills than one or two fish at a time. Eliminate oxygen as a source problem by checking it several times daily, for a couple of weeks. I'll bet you'll see oxygen is fine. While you are evaluating oxygen, look for other stressors, such as ammonia. Find other trout pay lakes, talk with your fish supplier, analyze your water more intently. Then, take all that information, interpret. Compare what you have with "optimum", based on science and experience of others in the business. Then, you can begin to pinpoint the problem. If your water checks out, then start looking at your fish. You may want to switch suppliers or species, or sizes of fish. Or, you may decide to add more fish, and aerate, to increase competition.
I know this...all fish won't bite. Even though your inventory says you have "x" numbers of fish, you may not have what you think. Most pay lake operators have a game plan to remove fish from time to time, to replace with newer fish, increasing bite rates, thus increasing revenues, thus increasing cash flow, thus increasing wife approval (the most important of all).

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails