Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,050
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 284 guests, and 147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#324569 03/07/13 02:51 PM
R
OP Offline
R
Has anyone tried using 3 liter bottles as habitat? I was looking around the house and saw a recycling bin full of them, started me thinking. Would they be good for fathead minnows? I thought if the mouth was two small I could just cut it off, or maybe the mouth would be about the right size for them. Any ides on this?

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Never heard of it...give it a shot and see. Be sure to let us know! Maybe set som in shallower water and add some holes so water can circulate and not become hypoxic.

And...welcome aboard neighbor!!!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Welcome! Good idea. What about cutting the bottoms off? IDK if the mouths would be large enough. Even if they were, I don't think there would be a large enough water exchange in the bottle to keep Oxygen levels high enough for a high percentage of eggs hatching.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
OP Offline
R
Thank you. There is so much good info on this board.

That's a good idea about cutting the bottoms off, hadn't thought of the oxygen problem, but that makes sense. I'll give the bottles a try and see it works at all.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Rockfish,

Welcome aboard.

I have used something similar just recently. I used a 3" PVC pipe about 5' long, put it inside a 5 gallon bucket, poured cement, after a week or so, I took gallon jugs & cut off the top 1/4 portion, took 2 wood screws and screwed the bootom of the jug onto the PVC pipe. After that I cut hole with a pair snips all over the jug to allow for water movement. I went to the pond and dropped it in 6' of water.

If you do this, make sure to drop it in the water slow or maybe drill 2 holes in the top so you can attach a rope and lower it into the water. If not, the force of dropping it may remove a jug or 2, or 3.......speaking from experience.

Coupe

I subscribe!
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I expect it might bruise a predators mouth up trying to get to the groceries.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Rock, here is something I am going to use. Old cat food cans with a couple of holes in the bottom and connected by wire. Either stretch out or lay in a pile. Add weights and sink.

Just do it...
A
A
Rockfish-- I have been getting a lot of stuff together to soon deposit into my pond. I was looking and found peepaw's post about "self feeding fish feeder" and on his website fishiding.com they sell this. it's a big net full of recylced plastics. They are $50, ouch! To simulate i have been melting 2 liters and milk jugs and attaching them to cut up milk crates. The crate panels are a foot or so square then 3 or 4 are ziptied together. I'm trying to make sort of an artificial reef of sorts that will be attached vertically to a fence that is in the pond. It allows for access from either side, holes big and small going through it. The heat gun puts a nice surface on the plastic that I think will support life. It also melts it down putting various holes in it. Seems to also make the plastic more durable. I have also melted some down and used zipties to put them all together by either melting or drilling a hole near that top opening of the bottle. I think it kind of resembles a riprap or rocks.

If I were you i would take all those bottles that you have available and make it happen!! If you have a harbor freight nearby you can get the heat gun for less than 10 bucks and the zip ties for a buck.

R
OP Offline
R
Those are some good ideas. I just hate spending money on something to throw in a pond lol.

I've been playing around with a way to use gallon milk jugs. They don't seem to sink very well, but I'm thinking if you could put something, maybe a stick, through the handle, you could line up several of them in a row. I guess you could even sink them vertical and have some sort of funky milk jug tree.I would think it would be pretty easy to do.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??