Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,788
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 778 guests, and 246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
I love it...a Stubby Steve's cooler franchise! smile smile smile

Smart thinking! I've made lots of new friends this way.

... Want to know the best advertising scheme I came up with two weeks ago? I was at a crappie tournament and when it finished, I went to a resturant. I was starved and thirsty. So, I sat at the bar and had a cold beverage smile and dinner. It was only about 6:00 but a gentleman was there already into many, many cold beverages and wasn't about to leave any time soon. Very loud and engaging. I happened to hear him mention he had been bass fising the day before. I closed my tab and grabbed a pack of SS I keep in my pocket book for just such occasion. I had to pass this gentleman on the way to the ladies room. I handed him the pack and told him this is what he needed to catch those fish. He asked if I was selling it but I told him for him, I was giving away. Before I even made it to the ladies room, I heard, "STUBBY STEVE'S, HA HA HA, STUBBY STEVE'S, HA HA HA. HEY, JIM, DOESN'T YOUR WIFE CALL YOU STUBBY, TOO? FISHING WITH STUBBY STEVE'S. I'M AFTER THOSE @#$%## BASS NOW!"....

That night at the hotel I was checking on web traffic. Thirty hits from Sumerset, KY. And I bet everyone of them came from diners at Ruby Tuesday!!!! smile

esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Stacy:

I use a short shanked, #10 hook. Fine wire. I push the pellet up over the knot a tad to keep the hook gape clear enough to hook the fish. I also fish it on 2#, 4# or 6# flurocarbon line. No weight or bobber. If I can't cast it far enough, I'll thread on another SS pellet about 2" up the line to give it more weight. If the fish are large enough, they'll take both pellets in one bite.

It has a turned up eye to help keep the gape clear. (at least that's my thoughts anyway)

Owner Mosquito hook

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
That sounds alot like what we do, Scott. Steve thinks trout like more than one piece at times and also like it somewhat sinking. But, that's just OUR fish. We'll check out that hook. Thanks a bunch!

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Be careful with the small hooks - BG are bad about swallowing Stubby pellets on small hooks or gill hooking.
I don't like to kill my fish!

I use nothing smaller than a #6 bait hook and catch larger fish - pellets will slow sink and fish are less hook shy.
My experience - others may vary..
G/

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

F
F
Just a report back.

Tried the old cane pole with the SS. Cut SS up to a 1/4 size, 1/2 size, try to keep it near surface, let it sink, no bobber with any of these. Still no interest. RBT are there because they take the pellets instantly. I have tried different hook sizes 0f 4,6,8 but my hooks are longer shank and I thought they might be a problem. All I have shorter is a snell? type hook. I will look into hook type you mention esshup. I did notice that when I first tried a week ago it was with the typical gold color hook, and then I tried black and there was more interest. My conclusion so far is what esshup has said about the RBT being very sight particular.

Stacy- thanks for mentioning the color and trout. I did just buy the brown, so I might try some other colors if I can't get this figured out.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Are there any more pictures of catching results using Stubby Steves pellets?

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: JKB
Stubbies came in today!

Thanks Hoosier Pond Pros!

I got 3 of every thing they have, except the new 4" worms. Gonna pass them out to a number of people and see how they like them. My boss already want's a bunch to try in his 3a pond for an upcoming gathering. Said it sure would be nice to catch a few lunkers. Told him, give em a try and see how it goes.

Michigan has a bunch of water. Pretty much anywhere you go up here, a convenience store or gas station has some tackle, and bait. Ever hear of Walt's Crawlers? They are everywhere!

They set up little coolers (refrigerators) in these locations, and there has to be thousands of them up here, but worms die!, and isolated refrigerators eat electricity! They also sell fake worms and such, but I've never caught anything on a fake worm, except my finger

See where I am going with this?

We'll try them out!

The reason I asked about Coho. Is that last fall, I had to work on a dam up north of here. Well, the channel draining to Lake Michigan was lined with fishermen. I asked a guy, how it was going?, and he said he did not think there were any fish in the channel below the dam yet. A few hours later, I answered his question, when I had to close the dam. No turbulent water, can see quite clear to the bottom, and it was crowded! No one was catching anything!

Would a SS have worked in that situation? Don't know?, but if I were fishing, and had yelled out "Fish On", pretty much everyone is going to want to know what's up! That's when everyone is your friend laugh

I doubt anything would of caught them, aside from snagging them. Those are fish with one thing on there agenda, spawning. They have pretty much stop feeding, occasionally you can get a reaction strike from them but not worth the time in my opinion. Also, since they are nearing the end of their life they are not the best to eat. The Cohos we caught two weeks ago off of Portage, IN are the one you want to eat. Also nothing better than a spring coho out of cold water (except a shore lunch walleye in Canada).

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: fish n chips
Just a report back.

Tried the old cane pole with the SS. Cut SS up to a 1/4 size, 1/2 size, try to keep it near surface, let it sink, no bobber with any of these. Still no interest. RBT are there because they take the pellets instantly. I have tried different hook sizes 0f 4,6,8 but my hooks are longer shank and I thought they might be a problem. All I have shorter is a snell? type hook. I will look into hook type you mention esshup. I did notice that when I first tried a week ago it was with the typical gold color hook, and then I tried black and there was more interest. My conclusion so far is what esshup has said about the RBT being very sight particular.

Stacy- thanks for mentioning the color and trout. I did just buy the brown, so I might try some other colors if I can't get this figured out.

Hey Fish I feel your pain bud! I have been fishing for 35 years and can't get these dang fish to bite this lure! It's fustrating because the SS bait looks perfect and so many folks are having success with them. I don't have any RBT so that's not my problem. I have HSB and BG smacking the water for my AM600 and I can't get them to touch a SS to save my life? I don't know? George says he gets more bites when it's sinking slow? You would think with a bobber up 3 feet from the hook it would be fish on??? Once again this bait has proven itself to work and work quite well so I am not bagging on the bait just ticked off I can't trick my fish into hitting it!!!! smile smile smile

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
F
F
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody

This is the one I caught on SS. Hope to add more to it. Sorry for the lack of product placement Stacy. I had my hands full as I was trying to fend off the dog who was taking an unusual interest in it. She Has never seen me have one of these before!!! laugh The dog enjoys watching the RBT feed as much as me.

beautiful rainbow how big was it, and about when did you first stock?

Last edited by small pond; 04/12/13 12:49 PM.

Sarcasm...yet another free service I offer.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E

F
F
Originally Posted By: small pond
beautiful rainbow how big was it, and about when did you first stock?

1#--- 13.5"

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E

Last edited by ewest; 04/12/13 06:57 PM.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: lassig
I doubt anything would of caught them, aside from snagging them. Those are fish with one thing on there agenda, spawning. They have pretty much stop feeding, occasionally you can get a reaction strike from them but not worth the time in my opinion. Also, since they are nearing the end of their life they are not the best to eat. The Cohos we caught two weeks ago off of Portage, IN are the one you want to eat. Also nothing better than a spring coho out of cold water (except a shore lunch walleye in Canada).

I've never run into Coho all bunched up at the end like that before. No way they could get over the dam. You can catch them when they start up the rivers, like the Muskegon River, but you are right, snagging may be the only way at the end. Illegal up here!

Best Coho are in the spring. We did quite well not too far from shore along the coast of Lake Michigan. You could limit out really quick when they are running.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Stacy,
What's the shelf life?

I know the note said to keep em cool and avoid heat.

Any boundaries to follow?

Thanks

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Good morning! We have some in the refrigerator for almost 5 years now. If they get hot, they can get "sticky" (they are biodegradable and if they get hot some of the ingredients we put in them start to "leech out"). Some people think they work even better when they get sticky.

The pellets aren't as bad about sticking together but the worms are harder to pull apart without tearing.

We just started wrapping the worms individually and they did great in 89 degree temps all day long.

A cooler is perfect on the hot days if you don't want them to change at all.

I've had them in my jeep all summer and they were stuck together. Worked like a charm! smile

Have fun!

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Those are great photos, Mr. West! Thank you!

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: Stacy4Stubby
Good morning! We have some in the refrigerator for almost 5 years now. If they get hot, they can get "sticky" (they are biodegradable and if they get hot some of the ingredients we put in them start to "leech out"). Some people think they work even better when they get sticky.

The pellets aren't as bad about sticking together but the worms are harder to pull apart without tearing.

We just started wrapping the worms individually and they did great in 89 degree temps all day long.

A cooler is perfect on the hot days if you don't want them to change at all.

I've had them in my jeep all summer and they were stuck together. Worked like a charm! smile

Have fun!

The Stubby worms or pellets sticking together is a non-issue.
Just grind up a few fish feed pellets in a coffee grinder and sprinkle a bit into envelope....they won't stick after you pull them apart the first time and maybe extend shelf life IMO.
G/

Last edited by george1; 04/13/13 09:38 AM.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
The worms were sticking when I opened the first pack. Not bad and they peeled apart quite easily.

George was thinking the same thing I was. There must be some sort of coating you could put on these to eliminate, or greatly reduce the sticky stuff while they were in package/storage and it would dissolve after it hit the water.

Grinding up fish pellets would be something to try. Kinda like put them in a shake-n-bake bag, get em coated and then package them.

I just opened the pack of previously opened green worms that have been in my fridge for a couple days. It appears that the latex component is grabbing a hold on each other. You can see it stretch a bit when you pull them apart.

A coating process, like they do for candies and such would probably be more economical than individual wrappers.

Just something to think about.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody

Got dozens more if you need them...
Caught every fish species in our ponds on Stubby Steves except pure Florida Bass and will be giving that a shot this afternoon.
G/

Last edited by george1; 04/13/13 10:56 AM.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Really Cool George! cool

The grinding up of pellets for the SS coating was an excellent idea!!!

Last edited by JKB; 04/13/13 05:21 PM.
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Mrs. G is quite a fisherlady! She makes it look so easy! Great photos.... beautiful fish!

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Mrs G is not only an excellent fisherman but a world class lure color designer.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
So I noticed on one of Eric's pictures the pellet is all the way up the shank of the hook? Did the fish do this? Or is that where you put the pellet on purpose? Is there a spot that works better? I have been putting the pellet on the hook tip is this wrong? Or does it really matter?

thanks,

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
F
F
My only success so far has been when the pellet is on the eyelet of the hook.

To update my progress again, The best success so far has been with 2# flouro line with a shorter #10 hook with pellet as described above, no bobber. This is for RBT.

The trout will only take it when there is a small amount of feed thrown out with it. I see the line pulled by them, and I keep feeding the line out for a period of 1 to 5 minutes. They will then start to take off with it, and about 50% of the time they are hooked. The other times it is just spit out. Very sensitive.... the last one caught was spilling eggs.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/18/24 08:53 PM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward