Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod
18,494 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,956
Posts557,914
Members18,494
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,533
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
13 members (FishinRod, catscratch, ghdmd, phinfan, Theeck, Cliff76169, Justin W, Shorthose, canyoncreek, Boondoggle, Bigtrh24, Donatello, 4CornersPuddle), 815 guests, and 217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
FWIW:

I tried using a bottom diffuser to oxygenate my pond with trout in it a few years ago. I ran the diffuser in the deepest part of the pond, and only ran it when the ambient temps were below 70°F (mostly at night).

The trout all died in a few weeks.

When I took a temp reading, the whole pond was the same temp from top to bottom. It WAS cooler than the surface water in a local lake that's 2 miles away, but it was still too warm for the trout.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Seems to me injecting pure oxygen would be the way to go if you could justify the cost. That would inject oxygen into the bottom water without destratifying and warming the water. Renting or leasing LOX would be the most economical as I know one RAS fish farmer that does in my area. If you have the right equipment you can generate it yourself. I seem to remember seeing on the Internet a trout club doing this in PA.

On gallon of liquid oxygen equals 3.26 cubic meters (115 cubic feet).

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Lusk and I did some calcs when we were together. LOX would run roughly $90/mo for a 1 ac pond. I have yet to research on the O2 generating equipment.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
That's not terrible if you only need it for June, July, August, and September if you had a way to make money to compensate for that. I'm spending that much a month pumping well water for 6 to 7 months.

However if you really wanted to keep trout over the summer for a business, an RAS inside is the way to go. You have to replace the volume of your tanks per 24 hours to keep them cool enough, but that isn't as much as it sounds. If you have a 2000 gallon Intex pool you'd only need to run 1.38 gpm to replace the volume every 24 hours. Of course you'd have to run much more back and forth through the system to get 1 to 4 turnovers every hour but you can do that really efficiently using just air and air lifts. Keep in mind this is with higher densities of trout. You can get away with less turnover per hour with lower densities.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 02/08/13 05:00 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

OP Offline
will there be more amonia and nitrates as the water warms up i would think soo because the fish are eating more and what are some sighns that the amonia is geting to high. I bought some more fish today but i have about 20 more fish bg, yp that were in there all summer i can always take them out how much would that help thanks.

Sarcasm...yet another free service I offer.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: small pond
will there be more amonia and nitrates as the water warms up i would think soo because the fish are eating more and what are some sighns that the amonia is geting to high. I bought some more fish today but i have about 20 more fish bg, yp that were in there all summer i can always take them out how much would that help thanks.

If you see signs of ammonia or nitrite toxicity (gasping at the surface and lethargy) it's already too late unless you have a way to add a significant amount of fresh water. The only thing you can do is stop feeding and hope for the best.

I would get the test kit I suggested to determine ammonia and nitrite levels. It's cheap compared to the headaches it may prevent you.

Yes ammonia levels will rise with rising temps if the pond is overloaded, but one thing you have going for you is your low PH. Also be aware that a natural process known as nitrification will crank up when your water warms and algae is actually a good thing as it feeds on ammonia. Believe it or not duckweed is really good at working on ammonia and some aquaponic producers purposely plant it into their systems.

It's actually unionized ammonia that is toxic to fish and it's amount is determined by temperature and PH. If you can accurately measure the PH and water temperature you can look up the amount of unionized ammonia on a chart by plugging in the value you get with your ammonia test. For trout you want to stay below 0.020 ppm.

You shouldn't even be reading any nitrites optimally. You can counteract it's effects by adding a little salt to the pond. You won't need much. If you use salt don't just throw it into the pond as it can burn the fish upon contact. You want to mix it in a container of waer and then slowly release it into the water.

Salt is know as the aspirin of aquaculture and reduces stress in freshwater fish up to a point.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 02/08/13 05:20 PM.

K
K
Cecil, southern fishers will put out blocks of salt, then come back in a few hours and clean up on BG.

Two ponds, 13 and 15 acres on the Mattaponi River.
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: esshup
Lusk and I did some calcs when we were together. LOX would run roughly $90/mo for a 1 ac pond. I have yet to research on the O2 generating equipment.

It would be interesting to see all the details on this $90.00/mo Liquid Oxygen Rig for a 1 acre pond!

Hope you kept the napkins wink

R
R
I would assume that I saw it on here but not too long ago I was reading on aerating the lower,cooler water column without causing destratification.In order to keep cold water fish thriving during the hot months.It seemed to work and made sense but I just cant remember where I came across it.

I really need to get back to keeping better notes,I've got a wee bit lazy since joining the forum.

OP Offline
I looked at a unionizedamonia chart. and it said that at a certian temp and ph the water can't have any more amonia in it is this true. so in other words can colder water with a lower ph only disolve so much amonia like warmer water can only disolve so much oxygen. i also saw on another website that photosynthis will increase the ph but filamentous algae also eats amonia so should i let more algae grow in the shallows or should i be raking it out. and i also ordered the test kit that you sugested.

Last edited by small pond; 02/08/13 11:54 PM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Yes unionized ammonia is limited by lower ph and lower water temps.

As far as removing algae, I would stll remove excessive amounts as you'll never get it all and what is left should still work in your favor. Remember over feeding in small pond contributes a lot to excessive algae.

OP Offline
thanks a bunch cecil as long as i can keep the temp of the pond below 68 and ph below 6 i should be fine. this summer ill check the temp and when it gets above 68 ill only feed a little bit if it gets to be 70 ill stop feeding entirel but august when the pond was almost complete the water temp was only 58 degeres. this definantly is the best pond website ive been on.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
We all wish you the best of luck and want you to succeed even if it seems like we are being a little negative at times.

Keep us posted!

OP Offline
if my fish do kill over i don't want to just throw them in the river or burry them could i sell them to a taxadermist or restarant to get something out of them. btw you guys arn't negative at all my dad is the definition of the saying negative neli. tell it like it is

K
K
sMPND,if you do sell the dead ones to a resturant, please tell me which one. Then we can eat at the competition for a few weeks. All kidding aside,we wish you the best.

Two ponds, 13 and 15 acres on the Mattaponi River.
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
if my fish do kill over i don't want to just throw them in the river or burry them could i sell them to a taxadermist or restarant to get something out of them. btw you guys arn't negative at all my dad is the definition of the saying negative neli. tell it like it is

Probably wont be able to do much with them if they croak. Fertilizer?

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Robert-NJ
I really need to get back to keeping better notes,I've got a wee bit lazy since joining the forum.

Since moving back to Grand Haven, I have not only gotten lazy, but added a few pounds to boot!

My note keeping deteriorated from spiral bound note books and electronic methods, to scribbling stuff down on store sales receipt's and old envelopes. And, they get thrown away!

I'm getting to the point where I can count all my functioning brain cells on my fingers and toes.

When that little piggy goes to market... crazy laugh

R
R
hey JKB whats the local word on Butch's down on the channel?I heard it went a little south frown Either way I have quite a few stories that start out with"we just went to grab a burrito".............most of which may be best left untold wink

F
F
Originally Posted By: JKB
I'm getting to the point where I can count all my functioning brain cells on my fingers and toes.

When that little piggy goes to market... crazy laugh

JKB- don't know if this Link will work, but......

OP Offline
can i add pond dye to keep the pond cool

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Robert-NJ
hey JKB whats the local word on Butch's down on the channel?I heard it went a little south frown Either way I have quite a few stories that start out with"we just went to grab a burrito".............most of which may be best left untold wink

Haven't been to that side of town lately. Traffic really sucks! Website works: http://www.butchsbeachburritos.com/

I heard they went thru some tribulation a while back, but don't know the details.

They have/had a location in the Shell complex on M104. Pretty sure it is still there.

If you haven't been here in a while, you may not recognize it.

Downtown has heated streets and sidewalks now. No Snow! Hot water from the power plant is doing the trick.

I use to rent some space at the B&B building on N. Griffin St. That has been gone for a while. Now Sporting luxury condos for your Yacht!

Nice place to visit, but wouldn't want to live here shocked wink

Last edited by JKB; 02/10/13 07:31 PM.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
can i add pond dye to keep the pond cool

Not sure. Anybody else know? Usually with flow through it can get expensive and it's possible it may be frowned upon if your water ends up in public water somewhere.

OP Offline
thanks for the advice cecil your right it probably would be expensive since i have a fare amount of water going through the pond. last night the water eroded away the dirt at the top of the gutter going into the pond making it a little muddy so today i took out the gutter and put in a pipe. dug a little trench put the pipe in it covered the pipe in dirt and built a small dam where the water comes out, and for more aeration i stacked cement blocks up so the water falls a couple of feet hits a stick splashes adding DO then goes into the pond tommorow ill put on some pics.

OP Offline
aerating spring water

Attached Images
aeration 2.PNG
Last edited by small pond; 02/12/13 09:55 PM.

M
M
essup,
How do the RBT and Browns due at our local State Park? That water is dark, so it gets warmer in the summer. I have caught some big browns while cat fishin years ago, but have not seen any RBT of any size caught. Are they just dying off and getting eaten by the turtles?

My momma never accused me of being to smart....
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
island_beam
Recent Posts
Howdy from West Central Louisiana
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 09:27 AM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by esshup - 04/23/24 07:31 AM
1 year after stocking question
by Joeydickens93 - 04/23/24 07:21 AM
Happy Birthday Theo!