Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,965
Posts558,013
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
12 members (JoshMI, Sunil, gautprod, Jason D, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, rjackson, Bobbss, John Folchetti, Lake8, LeighAnn, FishinRod), 1,235 guests, and 181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 21 22
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Zep, before you scatter the seeds, get a soil test done and add whatever fertiliser/lime you need, and incorporate it into the soil. Scatter the seeds over relatively loose bare ground, then roll them in to get good seed to ground contact. Keep them moist and they'll grow.

Wildflower seeds are naturally scattered in the Fall. Any frost/thaw cycles works the seeds down into the ground naturally.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
L
L
Originally Posted By: Zep
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
They worked very well for me last year, and I highly recommend them for any bare earth. Very little rye float after they're laid.

a bit of thread drift here...but since we are talking "bare earth", "rye grass", ect....

has anyone had much luck "planting" wild flowers?

are some wild flower seeds basically "just throw them out"
and they'll grow?....or do you have to till or plant all of them?

I would love to have a bunch of wild flowers growing at our gate and fence as you drive up....but I'm too lazy to plant them one by one.

something like this would look cool...

I did that on the back of my dam last spring, it made a fantastic show! Different flowers peak at different times of the year.

The best service and prices:
www.americanmeadows.com

A couple of points:
I got enough seed for about an acre or so, it comes in a fairly heavy box. I would recommend getting the hand seed-spreader as getting even coverage by hand is tough, and yard spreaders don't seem to like the mixed shapes of the seeds.
Use a landscape rake after sowing or the birds will devastate your seeds if sitting on the surface. Many wildflower seeds do prefer being very close to the surface, so a little raking will do.
Get the mixes for your region. It will contain both annuals and perennials. It will also give you the best chances of finding a plant that really likes your local conditions. For example I thought Lupins would be nice, but they simply HATE my soil type. Too basic for them. Instead Indian Carpets, Bachelor Buttons, Cone flowers (black-eyed Suzanns), and cosmos thrive.
If wanting to prevent erosion, wildflowers probably are not your best bet, but better than nothing. They do NOT form dense root systems or vegetation like grass and some ground covers. If you need to stop erosion, grass is king.

In my case, I wanted the dang flowers. The local flower shop will be visiting next summer in return for a few free arrangements.

Fall Dam Flowers

Here's a sample - more pictures there in the above link.

Last edited by esshup; 02/18/13 11:58 PM. Reason: added a few pictures
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Thanks essup and liquid.

btw beautiful pics liquid and
thats who I bought my seeds from

Fishing has never been about the fish....

R
R
Highflyer,that is some place you have there,that driveway shot is awesome.

Zep,my parents grow wild flowers.While I'm not sure what they have the first year they planted a specific variety and they didnt take.What they ended up doing was buy a regional mix from our local nursery,planted it and then picked what they liked best and created their own mix.

OP Offline
Thanks everyone, the view is great, I am happy that this project turned out so nice. It was definitely money well spent on the equipment.

Georgetopia will have FHM as soon as I can trap some. I'll add some pallets that I have been saving for them to spawn on.

I like the screen idea for the water bucket, I'll add that as well when I start pumping water from the big pond. I'll alo add the rocks for weight to the bucket when I am pumping water to Georgetopia.

Mark, the flowers should look great! I don't think our soil would support them, too bad, they add some really nice color.

I'll be back on the farm soon and I'll add updates as things progress.

One other question for the experts. Should I consider adding RES to Georgetopia?

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: highflyer
One other question for the experts. Should I consider adding RES to Georgetopia?

I'd only think about adding them if I had a grub problem in the main pond. I'd be worried about the possibility of them diluting the CNBG strain.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
If it’s a grow out pond (add babies , raise for a few mths and release) I would add a few RES as well. If you intend to spawn CNBG in Georgetopia then during that period I would not add adult or near adult RES. Good thing is you have flexibility to do as needed to augment the lake (onetime just CNBG , next time RES , next time small tilapia etc).

Last edited by ewest; 02/19/13 02:48 PM.

OP Offline
Eric and any other experts, what about CNBG and some Tilapia? Any problems with that combination?

Thanks.

Brian

Try not to be THAT 10%
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Not for a short time i.e. growout period with similar sized fed fish up to about 5 inches. At that point they will both start to spawn and competition in a very small pond would be fierce.

Last edited by ewest; 02/19/13 10:22 PM.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Eric and any other experts, what about CNBG and some Tilapia? Any problems with that combination?
Thanks.

I agree with Eric...I would not mix species if the goal for first productiion is for pure genetics. I would save the "best of the best" examples of chosen charactristics and repeat cycle.

If strictly for grow out, stock forage species at fingerling stage, let them grow and reproduce and then add predator species.
I would seine and transfer all to main lake upon desired size to prvent predation in main pond - drain Georgetopia and sterilize for next year program.
George

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

OP Offline
CNBG it is for now.... smile

Brian

Try not to be THAT 10%
OP Offline
Okay, Allen and I got to the farm yesterday and added another section of Geomatting and a bunch of staples. As it turns out our low-tech rocks did a great job of keeping the Goemat in place so the staples were extra insurance against a weather event.

Georgetopia now has over two feet of water and it has about 3-4 inches of visibility. Allen and I added some big pond water to get the ecology started. Minnows and CNBG are next.

Here is what the new "beach area looks like:

And with all the cleanup, the back end of the big pond now looks like this:

All in all, the cleanup really opened up the back end of the pond and allowed for the new brood pond to be placed up near the cabin. Now I just have to wait to burn the brush pile!! I figure I need to wait a month or two before trying. Any thoughts about how long to wait?

Brian

Try not to be THAT 10%
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Now I just have to wait to burn the brush pile!! I figure I need to wait a month or two before trying. Any thoughts about how long to wait?

That all depends on how much diesel you want to use. grin

The new pond muddy from run-off or does it need an alum treatment? The "old" forage pond is the same way, why do you think that is?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

OP Offline
Scott,
Georgetopia is filling with rain water. I'll do the jar test for both Georgetopia and the little pond and let you know how the tests go.

About the brush pile, think "Viking Funeral Pyre." I expect it to burn for a long long time, so I will have to plan this one out.

When I set it off, I will have to notify NASA so they can plan accordingly.... grin

Brian

Try not to be THAT 10%
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Then I'd plan on using a lot of diesel, and making sure I get it burned while the surrounding countryside is still wet.

Hate to catch the neighbors on fire when the embers come down 1/2 mile away!

Duck island submerged yet?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

OP Offline
Duck Island is officially under water, bass retreat is now open for business. I expect spawning there this season!!

I still need to get that rascally beaver... The hunt is on like Donkey Kong!

Brian

Try not to be THAT 10%
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Looking good. Put some ag lime in the forage pond.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Brian...if that don't look "bassy" I don't know what does.

Great job.

Makes me want to throw a double blade willow-leaf spinnerbait in there.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

Mark, it is totally bassy! Brian should have enough cover to protect his forage for years. Now, if I can jump his fence and get some Primrose in there, it'll be perfect.

(the sound you just heard was Brian slashing my tires)

Actually, I'm enjoying Brian's whole experience here. Basically, virgin water with unlimited potential. Changes to existing BOW's with long term stockings can be challenging, and Brian's got a window here to really create a masterpiece. All he needs is time and a defined stocking plan, and he'll be good to go.

AL

OP Offline
Eric, I'll check the PH and alk this next week. Even if it is good, I will most likely toss in some aglime anyway.

Mark, you are welcome anytime with your double bladed spinner-bait. I think we should be pulling out five pounders very soon ( I hope it is my son that gets the first one, if so, it goes on the wall)!!

Allen, if there is primrose on you or your stuff, it will be the sound of old betsy you hear...not my knife.... grin

In truth, George and Allen have been an inspiration and great help getting these ponds headed in the right direction. I can't thank them enough, so I won't bother trying.... grin grin

Brian

Try not to be THAT 10%
G
Lunker
Lunker
G

Allen, if there is primrose on you or your stuff, it will be the sound of old betsy you hear...not my knife.... grin
cry

In truth, George and Allen have been an inspiration and great help getting these ponds headed in the right direction. I can't thank them enough, so I won't bother trying.... grin grin

Brian, you have done an out standing job on your little pond and I look forward to seeing the major effect in developing the unlimited potential of your lake.

For those lucky enough to have brood/forage/grow-out ponds, you know how important they can be, utilizing maximum versatility of growing forage, as well as natural spawn of select brood fish and growing them out large enought to escape predation.

Thanks for letting me play!
George

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Looking good Brian - think your grow out pond will end up being a ton of fun for you. Zep is right on - those stickups in the shallows sure look bassy and perfect for a slow rolled spinnerbait! Thanks for sharing the process with us - makes me wish I owned a dozer and excavator even more.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

OP Offline
TJ, this has been a lort of fun and a great learning experience. George and Allen are great old guys with a lot of knowledge who are eager to share their knowledge and experiences!!!! laugh

As for the ponds, I am in awe of what mother nature can do if you let her. Life is tenacious. Point your project in the right direction and get out of its way. I have made many mistakes, but I am starting to understand how much I don't know. My long term goals are progressing and with a little luck and a bucket full of help from my friends and I think this is going to turn out very well.

I can't wait to show you guy the next couple of improvements coming this spring and summer.

Not to hijack my own thread, but how goes the show? Are you guys going to get to Texas this year?

Brian

Try not to be THAT 10%
Lunker
Lunker
I have tons of reasons to go to Texas - it's a direct flight from Omaha [which is huge], or a 9 hr drive [which ain't too bad], Horns haven't beaten the Huskers in football for years, haven't seen the sun here in four weeks, LL2 Bob and Debbie, never met George in person and need fly casting lessons, the good as gold handshake of Mike Otto, want to meet Zep, Al and yourself, Texas BBQ and salsa, and I want to fit my fat head inside a a true Texan LMB. Also, what's up with this snipe hunting you like taking Northerners on? I really want to try it - sounds like fun!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

OP Offline
There is a blood oath when it comes to snipe hunting. Can't tell you any more than that for now....

The rest is just great fun, and if you wait until it is really hot here, the Shiner Bach is oh so good!

Come ready to work and play hard, there aren't many days where we just sit around. And if flyfishing lessons are on your mind, there is no one better than George to show you how, he makes it look so easy. smile

Brian

Try not to be THAT 10%
Page 3 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 21 22

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
Where it all started 1 year ago today
by Sunil - 04/29/24 10:51 AM
Inland Silver sided shiner