Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,098
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,415
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
11 members (H20fwler, nvcdl, esshup, Bing, Fishingadventure, Dylanfrely, Angler8689, Sunil, jpsdad, azteca, BillyE), 679 guests, and 233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#308449 10/05/12 10:27 AM
W
OP Offline
W
I start this thread in the hope to get some good advice and - maybe - to document the realization of my dream over the next "few" months. We own about 90 acres in East Texas, Shelby County. When we bought the property about seven years ago, most was clear cut except around a dry creak going through it. We planted mostly pines on about 40 acres and the remainder is natural growth. We live in Houston, about three hours away, so we only visit every other week or so. But we love this place and want to eventually retire there. I talked to the NRCS and the guy is very helpful. We have over hundred acres of watershed. One neighbor has a bond on the property right next to us and there are several more ponds in the area. Here is an aerial of the area and below it is a more close up view. And yes, i know that the boundaries of our property look "different".

Below is a topo with the outline of our proposed pond area.

Since we would like to keep the cost down (who doesn't), we were told that we should only build the dam and then let the pond fill and flood the remaining area without clearing it. Is this good advice? There would be a lot of trees standing and eventually dying in the pond area. And as you can tell by the topo map, the pond area is very shallow. So even if we have a 8 to 10 foot depth at the dam, on the other side there would be about an acre or more with just a foot or so of water on it. Any comments?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
What is the main goal for the pond? Fishing? Not fishing but wildlife enhancement? Both?

Will you be unhappy if the pond has a lot of weeds?

Will you be unhappy if the pond doesn't hold water in the area that you are expecting all year 'round?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
W
OP Offline
W
As most people, I have several goals. The main goal is to have a place to swim. Next is wildlife and third is fishing.
I know that the shallow areas will have a lot of growth. But if about half of the pond is not overgrown, that is fine with me.
With your last question, are you saying that areas that are not cleared and compacted will leak? I would expect that there is some fluctuation of the water level in the shallow parts. But if it is a lot, I will be concerned. It might be a stupid question, but what happens to areas that are under water every time it rains and then the water slowly leaks/evaporates? Will it look like most Texas lakes looked at their edges last year during the drought - dried crusted mud? Or will it become some kind of habitat with certain plants and animals living in there?

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
I am no expert, but i would try to avoid a shallow pond. My shorlines were not built with enough incline and it leads to lots off yucky moss/vegetation

Fishing has never been about the fish....

M
mpc Offline
M
Hi Wishingwell, before you do any work, continue to read on this site. The questions you ask will become much clearer in time with reading,unless you are a speed reader. Many of the gentlemen here have had or done what you are discussing here.
IMHO, I would say you would be better off with little shallow water. If for no other reason than having a large area for herons to congregate as well as cormorants(really bad! IMO).
In Tx.(I am in East Tx., Upshur County)at least in the last ten years, we have had some form of drought nearly every year. That said you would have a good portion of you pond non productive a lot of the year, just as essup and zep has indicated.
You indicated that your #1 goal is swimming and as a snake lover, I would say if you and your family would enjoy swimming with snakes, then by all means leave a bog area, but otherwise deeper and cleaner is better,for control for snakes, nutria,and a lot of other critters.
On the leaking stumps areas and the like, as I remember from what I have read on PB site, the dam is the worst area for stumps,BUT, you could end up with a sand, gravel,rock run, under any area, that is not looked at, sub surface. Most all the trees would die in a few years anyway, and much harder to clean the area due to either boggy or heavy growth if the area dried out IMO.
As I have been told on this site, fairly steep sides(or 12" to 20" drop-off) on ponds prevent Herons from hanging out.
Another item I read about on this site, that might interest you, is pond mats for your swimming area. My understanding is they can be interlocked and laid over the mud and will help hold sand if you put them in. East Tx mud just stains and can muck up a swim area pretty quickly as you and I know.
Also as I have read on this site, that deeper water ponds evaporate slower than shallower ponds.
You did not say what kind of wild life you wanted around but most wildlife will visit your pond if you build it. Bird feeders, some corn on the ground and a tree pile will give you birds,deer,and rabbits out the wazoo. Too much corn and you will be killin' pigs(good eatin' in my book).
Hot old East TX., I would say dig deep, steep sides except for swim area,pack, pack, pack the ground,quality dam with very clean quality core,mowable back side of dam and top,would get you pretty much what you said you want.
You did say fish was third, but do understand that fish will come no matter what, and you may want to consider fish you want, instead of whatever happens.
Sorry for the long post from a novice ponder,but I will say you are exposed to the best of the best here(not me)and I would recommend that if you read, listen to the many quality minds here, you will end up with a pond you can be happy and proud to own,that just might not cost as much to maintain. The other way is try to fix many problems later at a much higher cost.Just my .02 and IMHO.

Life is more fun with a pole in your hand.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 05:33 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 04:51 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Newly Uploaded Images