Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 458 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
I
I'm looking at purchasing some land with a 1/10 to 1/8 acre pond. It has a dam with a vertical overflow pipe but I've yet to see the water level move from about a foot below the top of the pipe despite all the rain we've gotten. The water level hasn't budged. There is a spring coming out of the ground further down the drainage depression. This is also wooded. The best I can tell, the pond is 6 feet deep at least. There isn't visible water flowing in but I assume its spring feed like most ponds around. I was hoping for some help on things to look for to try and tell if the pond is in good shape. If the water level doesn't seem to change I guess I could raise the level to make it bigger.

David Clapper
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Where in VA?

I
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
I
Central Virginia just outside of Lynchburg. I'm curious how you figure out where it's filling up from since it hasn't seemed to change level despite all the rain.

David Clapper
K
K
Funny as around here(150 miles from your place) only showers. Look on back side of dam,if the overflow pipe is draining, that is the high point of your pond. Good luck.

Two ponds, 13 and 15 acres on the Mattaponi River.
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Good to have you on board.
Do you own the land yet?
If not is the pond the main reason for the purchase?
Like Kenc said look at the back of the dam inspect the pipe. If the pipe is flowing, then look at the front side find the pipe and see if water is to the full level. You could be seeing the pond when it is at its highest. There will also be an earthen spillway on one end of the dam, look and see if the water has ever run around this area. If it has there will be some sighs of erosion MAYBE. That will let us know if the pond has ever been a higher level. This will get you started.
Otto

K
K
Daggone Otto,thanks for backing me up on this. I am going to show this to wivey as she thinks I know too little about everything.

I
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
I
We are looking at the land but have not yet purchased. I poked around with a stick today and its pretty silted in I think. There isn't anything coming out of the pipe at the bottom of the dam. It lacks about a foot of reaching the top of the pipe to overflow but its never really changed level since we looked. There isn't an overflow on the side. I'm sure one side is lower but it's definitely not obvious. I'm guessing its spring fed but level is more ore less what the water table is allowing? I don't see where water goes in but there are a couple spots where it looks like a spring could be opposite the dam. There is a lot of silt there too. I suspect the pond is from the 50's based on what I'm seeing looking at the site history. If we get it I guess we could drain and dredge when we build a house.

David Clapper
K
K
Intpl., if the pipe is gal.,it is probably on its last legs as they tend to rust out here in 20 some years. A friend lost his pond after 23 years in October due to pipe failure. Get a small boat and a big light to check out the inside of the pipe. Good luck.

I
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
I
The pipe appears to be carbon steel with a collar just below the water level with a short PVC section coming out of the water. Would the cs pipe have been typical years back?

David Clapper
K
K
Probably not. The older pipe could have failed and you are looking at the fix. If it were me,I would get someone to look at it that knows about these things. It sounds as if it may be leaking where the cs and plastic is united. You can always beat the seller over the head with this info. to get the price reduced.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
A plumber with a camera on a long flexible wand would make the inspection easy.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
If possible get on the back side of the dam, down by the pipe.
Use a hammer and beat around a little. An old rusted pipe will not sound solid it might even crumble a little. Dig a hole with a shovel or post hole diggers a few feet above the pipe and do the same thing with a shovel handle or steel bar. An old steel pipe will show its age.
The water level on all ponds goes up and down according to the weather or water table. A high water mark will sometimes be visible. This will also give you a little more information
Otto

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thanks for the info Otto. I'll have to file that away.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
K
K
Otto,we had a rental home with cast iron sewer pipe which was stopped up after the tenants moved out. Of course it had rained for forty days and land was flooded. We dug out the goo and got down the pipe where there was a bend. Ye ole plumber jumped down in the hole with a hammer to test the pipe via your method. He claimed to be able to tell to know where the blockage is by the sound. Anyway he was able to penetrate the pipe with hammer but blockage was not there. He then jerked the hammer out,it made Jed Clamplett's shot in the ground look like a piker. He wasn't able to get out quick enough to save his boots as he said he couldn't get the smell out. Of course I was LMAO. This turned to sorrow when we started getting out a few aluminum foil balls the tenants had so thoughtfully left for me. That was one of the few homes i enjoyed selling.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??