Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,105
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,111
Who's Online Now
11 members (FireIsHot, Dylanfrely, Bill Cody, Treeguy27, Boondoggle, FishinRod, esshup, PRCS, Layne, nvcdl, H20fwler), 724 guests, and 165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 17 1 2 14 15 16 17
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
We still have literally hundreds of deer on the farm and in the area on our trail cams...I investigated tons of EHD deaths this year for clients all summer long and its pretty easy to spot the EHD deaths with most of the deer still partially in the water or very very near it....I'm quite sure that the deer we were finding on our property were hunting injuries and car crashes as opposed to EHD... During hunting season it was very common to see injured deer coming in from surrounding farms almost every time out, we were not surprised to find so many dead ones...we anticipated it...the farm is a deer factory, the tall grasses and new growth trees hold waaaay more deer than hardwood timber.... Will keep you posted when we burn in a couple weeks, there are lots of carcasses in those fields....

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Sorry to hear it Nate.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Online Content
Nate, is EHD the same thing that's hit Nebraska? We cancelled our reservation hunt this year because of low numbers of available deer. Our buddies that went up last year said there was a shocking difference in deer seen.

AL

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
More than likely... The states that were hit with drought got hit with EHD really bad...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
PLEASE DON'T TURN THIS NASTY, POLITICAL, ETC.

I have an old JC Higgins .22 auto that started to have jamming/ejection problems a few years ago. I got it as a gift in October 1961. The jams/ejection problems only happen with certain bullet brands.

I have the original manuals. I took the old rifle completely apart and totally cleaned and lubricated it yesterday, but didn't get a chance to shoot it before bedtime last night.

I had to take my wife to a metro airport this morning. I have been gone from home since 5:00 AM this morning. -- and still not home due to a few stops.

I stopped for breakfast near a sporting goods store in the city ((UGH!). The sporting goods "return" shelf had a Nikon BDC-150 scope for about the price of a piece of Jerky. No packaging, no book, but it looked complete, including the mount and lens caps. A check on my cell phone said it should fit most .22s, and usually sold for about several tanks of gasoline in my truck.

But, the real reason for this post -- since I fully cleaned and lubricated my old gun, and found what appears to be a good scope, I wanted some good shells to "sight it in."

So, after breakfast, and after getting my bargain scope, I wanted to get a couple of 50-count boxes of .22 LR shells.

WRONG!!

I went to eight different stores! All were sold out. This is just plain crazy!

I'm sure glad I have my 1200 fps .177 pellet gun, with scope, to keep the critters under some control!

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
esshup Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ken:

If you're going to be coming this way anytime soon (or I could give them to Todd if we get together in the near future) I have an extensive "collection" of .22lr shells. I bought (IIRC) a box of each and every flavor that was produced to see which one my 10/22 preferred. I can give you some of each.

I found that the factory barrel shot CCI Blazers as well as Eley Tenex Red Box match ammo. Rim thickness sorting the Blazers tightened up the group even more.

Or, I can buy a brick of CCI Blazers from the local Sporting Clays range. They just got a shipment of ammo in and they had 500 count boxes of Blazers for $30 + Tax. Price from last shipment to this shipment increased $9/brick.

Oh yeah, the shelves be bare in most stores!!! It seems in the stores that I've been in that .17HMR isn't going near as fast as .22lr ammo.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Ken, same offer. I have in excess of 20,000 rounds of 22lr. So, if you need some let me know if you will be in the "city" in the next week or so and I can get you some... If not, the next time I go up to PA I can try to meet up with you in the Winchester area to get you some if you can't source any before then.

K
K
There are going to be many buyers of ammo who will have remorse in the future. This was the way it was 4 years ago with primers and ammo. After things settled down,these prices was lower then before the buying spree. The military will use a lot less ammo in the future and it will be cheaper.

Two ponds, 13 and 15 acres on the Mattaponi River.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'll know better tomorrow.

Years ago I bought a 'bucket o' bullets' with a gazillion .22 LRs in the bucket for about $50. I don't know if is because they are hollow point, but they just keep jamming. As I recall they are Winchester.

I also got several boxes of old Soviet LRs, but they are collector's items.

I still have most of a box (plastic holder) of CCI. Even before bullets became scarce, I was having problems finding them. Frederals also became scarce.

Anyway, if the gun cleaning did any good, I'll have plenty of shellsto take care of critters and to sight-in the new scope.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Everybody is always out of 22LR these days. Since I really don't often shoot them, I have plenty; about 1,500.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ken,
the price isnt really the issue at this point, might as well stock up and if the price goes down again, stock up again....but I do see your point, a few years back when gas prices really started to rise or maybe it was after 9/11 everyone went to fill up with gas all at once and the gas prices started to rise by the hour...well anyhow the local caseys store actually got fined like $50,000 or something insane for raising the price of gas to an unheard of $4 per gallon....everybody was all stark raving mad at them for months for doing that, but I was like you guys are the idiots who went and bought the gas for $4 per gallon and now your complaining about it???? Anyhow, nowadays gas costs about $4 per gallon, but it was only like $1.50 back then....

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
This thread made me think about ammo and components. So, I went to my shop and did a 1 minute inventory. I reload everything from 222 to 45 cal. I haven't done a lot of shooting lately but am starting again with a 22 to correct a flinch.

My partial inventory here. This doesn't include what I have in the country:
2 ammo cans of primers
30 one pound containers of powder(thought I had more)
About 75 boxes of bullets
A bunch, pretty good sized bunch, of cast bullets. Plenty of melted wheel weights and a bunch that are waiting to melt. Need more gas checks.
Probably about 60 or 70 boxes of primed brass, mostly 30-06
About 1,500 22 shells
Unknown #, probably several thousand, loaded cartridges
A couple of cases of shotgun shells

This is probably a drop in the bucket to Scott

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 02/13/13 06:15 AM.

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Dave-Trying to make in the mornings to get back on the forum...
Hope you do not have a fire

Otto

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Mike, I didn't think you were home often enough these days to use a computer.

A fire scares the daylights out of me.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 02/13/13 09:30 AM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I have a client with those outdoor containers locked up with more ammo in them than the local national guard....it's impressive to see and how doesn't show many people.....
Me and my bros haven't stocked up on much of anything yet, but do have at least a couple seasons worth of ammo....

K
K
If you don't shoot on a regular schedule,I don't know why you would want so much ammo. A lot of ammo won't shoot accurately in some guns so you would be better off with a sling shot. As far as living through a nuclear event and then only the strong live, I had rather be gone quick. Does anyone think about what the food supply would look like. But,it is a free country and we can all do what we want. I buy all my shotgun shells at gun shows for less then half price and a friend handloads for my rifles. If a gun can't shoot in a two inch space at 200 yds. it is going to some other home. Try to do that with some of the cheap junk they are selling today.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I have some original 38/40 ammo for my ancient Model 1873 Winchester. I killed a doe with it a couple of years ago. Ammo doesn't go bad but the price does increase. And it increases a lot more than the return that I can get on it.

To me, a couple of seasons worth isn't much. When the current craziness ends, I'll probably pick up some more components, shotgun shells and various types of 22 ammo. I really believe that it is a good investment.

BTW, I once read that in failed economies that deteriorated to being a barter economy, the most sought out products were ammo and whiskey.

K
K
1873 Win. is one cool gun,swap a semi-good woman for it.Go to a gun show,there is someone there looking to get rid of shotgun shells and 22 also. The military shells sell easily but the others are cheap.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Not at gun shows around here they're not.

Right now 22 shells can be found. However, the price is out of sight.

esshup Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Dave:

I have a couple of rounds here and there........ wink

I did a lot of experimentating with different loads right after I got my first .257 Wby. Once the gun told me what it likes, I have components sitting.

Same for about every other one that I have. My cousin moved from Ohio to NC, and the moving company wouldn't move his reloading stuff. So, he called me and said that if I wanted some reloading stuff, to hop in the car and make the 5 hr drive to his place. I came back home with 6 copy paper boxes full of stuff as he used to shoot Garands and Palma matches. Some of the stuff I traded off, some I used, but I still have a bunch of things left. Enough that I have to split it up between a few buildings to keep the fire marshall happy. wink

I agree about buying components when the price is low, not high. I'm still kicking myself when I didn't buy the 4 pallets of shotgun wads at one auction that I was at. I wasn't thinking and could have sold them for 5x-6x what they went for.

I used to shoot more shotgun than I do now, and would buy shot by the ton. That wouldn't last me a year. There were days when I'd go thru 500 shotgun shells...... I'd usually shoot Wed nights, and most weekends I'd shoot Sat night and a couple of rounds on Sunday. When I was reloading for shotgun then, I'd just put a 5 gallon bucket under the reloader and fill 'er up.

I had a Savage bolt action .22lr re-barreled so I could shoot the 60g Aguilar SSS shells. I'm glad that I bought a supply of them when I did - have you seen the prices of those now???

I agree, prices will come down (some) in the future, but not much unless the price of energy comes down too (oil). It takes a lot of energy to produce and transport ammo.

If you keep ammo dry and somewhat out of the heat, it'll last for a long, long time. Same with powder and primers. IIRC Alliant (Hercules) tested some powder that was made around the turn of the century (1900) and it was still just as good as when it was made.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
K
K
The Aguilar shells that I use only have the primer and no powder and generates 6lb. but is deadly on squirrels to 60 ft.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
The little 22 I use doesn't do a great job with the "sans poudre" ammo. But, I can still shoot it in town with no problem.

kenc #321878 02/13/13 05:38 PM
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: kenc
If you don't shoot on a regular schedule, I don't know why you would want so much ammo. As far as living through a nuclear event, I had rather be gone quick. Does anyone think about what the food supply would look like.

That may be a bit much on ammo,
but Ken don't ya think there are
lots of scenarios between an
orderly society like we have now
and a nuclear holocaust?

Personally I could see some civil unrest
in our not so distant future. Heck that's
a small part of the reason we purchased
some property away from the big city.
I hope we're wrong.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: fish n chips
So is trapping allowed in with hunting?
My first.

Coyotes in the City

Heard 'yotes howling along our backyard creek at noon - unusual!
Looked out and saw male big as a wolf!!!
Smaller female.

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Zep, I think your words are pretty spot on...not saying there will be all gloom n doom, but civil unrest or increase in violent crimes could very much be possible in our lifetimes....

Page 16 of 17 1 2 14 15 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:45 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails