Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Woody Jones, Joe7328, Reno Guerra, Meandvls, Eugene
18,473 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,934
Posts557,698
Members18,474
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,493
ewest 21,489
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,134
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#321067 02/08/13 01:01 PM
S
OP Offline
S
As some of you know, I purchased this place February of 2012. Tried to find solutions for an excessive BH problem, had multiple discussions on stocking and how to move forward.

Well, I got my wish... I can now start from scratch. When the pond thawed out in January, I had a winter kill that finished off 99% of all life in the pond. The only things that may be left are the ones that have buried themselves in the mud.

As you can see from the pictures, this drought has hit us hard, the last time my area had 1" of moisture was during September. From visiting with my neighbor, this is the lowest he has seen it in 25 years. His pond has never been dried up before and it has not had water since September. Mine is at the water table and has been stable since September at the level you see here. However, over the last few weeks it has dropped an inch or so, I am guessing it is from the water table fluctuations.

My current plan is to first find a way to drive a sand point well near the pond in order to keep it at a stable level to support fish in the event of this type of drought. Next I plan to put in a home built Aeration system, similar to the ones people have put together on here using the ecoplus pumps. I then plan to stock 4-6” CC and 2-3” BG at the same time, roughly 500 of each along with 1000 FHM. After a year I will then add in 100 4-6” LMB.

My questions: Is this an adequate plan? What type of structure should I add to the pond while it is low like this to help support spawning of the above species? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Attached Images
North_Looking_South.jpg North_Looking_South_2013.jpg
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
1) How much muck is at the bottom of the pond now?

2) If this is a groundwater pond, (i.e. not sealed and fluctuates with the groundwater) will the well supply enough water to keep it full?

3) What are your fisheries goals for the pond?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
B
I agree with Scott. If you dig a well and your pond fluctuates with ground water. Are you going to gain anything?

"I think I have a nibble" Homer Simpson

34ac natural lake

S
OP Offline
S
1) There is hardly any muck in the area where the water has dropped. There may be a foot or so where the water is now, not much.

2) I am worried about that as well. I think my only other option is to have a deeper well drilled. However, I don't have the money to do.

3) My main goal is to just have a place to fish and be able to catch some decent fish in the end run. Would like to see some monster sized, CC, BG & LMB after time. I do plan to feed them as well.

I'm not sure if I would gain anything or not, and I'm not sure how to find out that option other than by trying it.

K
K
This year may be an event that will not happen again in your lifetime. If it was mine I would get my stocking plan ready and when it fills back up,I stock it. This weather is just so crazy. The weather experts can't predict 3 days much less next year. My experience is that if it dry one year(bad drought at my farm),the next year you need waders to go to the outhouse. It is a beautiful pond.

Two ponds, 13 and 15 acres on the Mattaponi River.
S
OP Offline
S
Yeah, I hear ya there. I'm just afraid of losing that investment from stocking and feeding in a year.

K
K
Maybe the pros on this forum can hook you up with a cheaper stocking plan. However, life is a series of chances.

Two ponds, 13 and 15 acres on the Mattaponi River.
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
I'm just an enthusiast, not an expert; but I have some good experience in what not to do so...

First, I'd try to ensure there aren't still BH in it. They are a tough fish and I wouldn't bet against it unless you've also had it rotenoed.

Second, I'd be really tempted to try to get some of the muck out, clean it up, add some contour / structure / fathead spawning sites, make sure no fish could climb up spillway in heavy rain event, makes sure all the sides are how I want them, and all that.

Then, I'd order some fathead minnows from a reliable source, look through them to ensure no non-fatheads, and get them stocked.

Then, I'd go do something else for a while (many, many months).

Once you can walk across the pond just by standing on the fatheads, I'd check into stocking some game fish. Probably lower numbers than some would recommend. I'd give them plenty of good fish food as a supplement. I'd try to catch and eat all the CC's before they hit 5 lbs. I'd keep / fry many of the smaller bass and put back the largest bluegill and redears. And... I'd just have to throw in some HSB just because (and then I'd try really hard not to catch them in the summer).

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Ralph D Hart
Recent Posts
Compaction Question
by teehjaeh57 - 04/15/24 11:54 PM
Golden Shiners - What size to stock?
by Boondoggle - 04/15/24 10:04 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by esshup - 04/15/24 09:52 PM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by esshup - 04/15/24 09:48 PM
What type of fry?
by Sunil - 04/15/24 08:58 PM
Group Text of Customers, Pay to Fish
by Fishingadventure - 04/15/24 04:24 PM
Pumpkinseed
by FishinRod - 04/15/24 03:08 PM
Bream Freshly Hatched??
by Snipe - 04/15/24 01:41 PM
What type of babies are these?
by ewest - 04/15/24 01:31 PM
What did you do at your pond today?