Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,097
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,415
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
11 members (Dylanfrely, Angler8689, Sunil, esshup, jpsdad, azteca, BillyE, H20fwler, FishinRod, Augie, PRCS), 713 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#320640 02/05/13 03:24 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I've got a bunch of planned outdoor springtime garden projects that will require using lot of 6 - 12 penny framing nails.

I've gotten lazy in my retirement years, and would rather not use a hammer for these projects if I didn't have to.

I can't drag my big compressor to the work, and the work needs to be built in place, so I can't bring it to the big compressor.

I've got a great little lightweight 120 VAC 1/3-HP 3-gallon "pancake" compressor that I can run from an extension cord, a small generator, or from the DC-to-AC inverter I use with my truck or tractor. I drag this little compress all over the place, and love it for light nailing, cleaning dust out of stuff, and filling my portable airtanks, which I seem to always be using on my trailers, mowers, UTV, tractor, etc. before I can use them.

The little compressor shuts off at 100 PSI. It is rated at 0.65 cfm @ 90 PSI. I regularly use it with a brad/stapler and a finish nailer without any issues.

I'm looking at getting a framing nailer, like a DeWalt 8.2 lb., or Hitach 7.5 lb. to use with it . I've downloaded and read the manuals for both nailers, and I still can't figure out if either might work.

Will such a little compressor work? Remember, I'm half-fast, so I'm not going to be putting out nails like I'm shooting a fully automatic assault weapon. If I can sink 3-4 nails quickly, and then have several minutes until I'm ready to nail the next 3-4 nails, will it work?

Any ideas? Any experience with this?

Thanks,
Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I've seen a lot of roofers use those little compressors, and they're moving pretty darn quickly, too. Course', those are roofing, not framing nails.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
K
K
Ken, it needs to be 120 lb. to drive nearly any framing nail. Look at getting one that is rated 135 lb. or more. This will give you 120 at the hose.. i

Two ponds, 13 and 15 acres on the Mattaponi River.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ken, I looked at the specs and cannot find the specs for air consumption. That model has 680 inch pounds @ 100 psi infeed pressure, model D581844 weighs .6# less and has 900 inch pounds at the same pressure. I'm unsure what the difference is between clipped heads and round heads. Both are stick feed, not coils.

I'd call them with the specs from your compressor and the length/ID of the hose you plan on running.

I've seen some nail guns running off of a CO2 tank, but don't remember if they are framing or finish nailers.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Have you looked into Paslode?

I have a impulse framing nailer, and it works great! No hoses to drag around, and not too heavy.

The roofing nailer I have, I believe is a Bosch. It's a Bostitch! I never used it yet, but every one else has. It even ended up in Florida for a month. I bought it so my brother could finish the roof on our shop after the guy who was "supposed to be working" on it, and with many excuses, ended up in jail on the other side of the state.

This guy even called us up to bail him out of jail. crazy laugh
Q: Can you bail me out?, I have to finish your roof yet!

A: Were putting the ridge vent in right now, Click! grin

Last edited by JKB; 02/05/13 06:22 PM. Reason: Bostitch
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I love my Porter Cable. I think it's 21 degree. Full head nails, plastic collated. Been beaten, used, and abused and still delivers. I run it at about 90 psi on the output side. Cycling between 90 and 100 psi in a 3 gallon tank will be repetitive. Ok for small jobs, but I wouldn't frame a garage with it.

J
J
My dad has a Porter Cable and a Paslode. Both have been used a lot and still work great.

R
R
I'm with JKB,try a paslode.I wish I never sold mine,great for any size job and once you use one you'll never want to deal with a hose again.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Robert-NJ
...you'll never want to deal with a hose again.

further to that point...if you must use an air hose...

If you are still using the old fashioned rubber pneumatic hose (you know...the red one that only coils and winds in one direction because it has a mind of it's own), you need to move along. Upgrade with hasty prejudice to the polyurethane air hoses. Night and day.

JKB #320661 02/05/13 05:48 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: JKB

This guy even called us up to bail him out of jail. crazy laugh
Q: Can you bail me out?, I have to finish your roof yet!

A: Were putting the ridge vent in right now, Click! grin

Been there. Done that.

We built a new home about 25 years ago. We contracted to install over-sized commercial gutters and downspouts on the new house (I hate cleaning leaves out of gutters). The gutter guy got about 80% done. He got the gutters installed. He installed about 2/3's of the downspouts.

He just disappeared, and I couldn't track him down. Before we started, I paid him 50% of the estimated job to get supplies.

So, we were without about 5-6 downspouts. None of the installed downspouts had elbows at the bottom. The 4-inch corrugated pipe heading to a settlement pond was never installed.

I finished the job myself.

About five years later, this dude appears at our door to get paid the remainder of what he was supposed to receive upon completion of the job! He threatened us with a lien against our property, along with a few other threats.

Lynda called the Sheriff's office while I was talking to him. The sheriff's office told her that this dude had been incarcerated for the past five years. They said they were sending a deputy to our property.

The dude left before they got there. We never saw him again.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
We run bostitch (don't know if I spelled that right).. Work great and nails and parts are easy to get anywhere..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Yeesh! I was afraid of posting this. The US Army Corps of Engineers will not be approving my little projects. Even the county inspectors won't be looking at my projects.

I've got Porter Cable equipment that I've been very happy with. I've got a lot of other cheap-to-moderate tools, ranging from Harbor Freight, to Sears, to the big box hardware stores, but ...

These projects include several more above-ground temporary worm bins made from rough cut lumber, non-caving structure for additional 18-inch deep asparagus beds, and in-ground-mounted frames for temporary hoop houses and small high tunnels.

I'm just looking for something that will save me from slamming a 16 oz., hammer a few hundred times a day, over a few days.

Thanks all,
Ken

B
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
B
I have a mastercraft 3" nailgun and I have ran it with a small compressor( bradnailer) type lots and it works fine. I say try it!

"I think I have a nibble" Homer Simpson

34ac natural lake

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'm with Blair. Try it on some wood that isn't part of the project and if it works for ya, go for it. No need to overthink it. If you try the biggest nails that'll fit, and it drives them O.K. then you're set.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bluegillerkiller
We run bostitch (don't know if I spelled that right).. Work great and nails and parts are easy to get anywhere..

I've used the Bostich on the pavilion. It's my contractor's, but I have run it a good bit. Nice tool and he swears by it - uses it pretty much daily and has not had any issues. He also said the DeWalt is a nice nailer, too. I was looking at the DeWalt or the Bostich but haven't jumped yet on either.

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
We use paslode and senco and they work great on small compressors for what u describe. Also the paslode impulse cordless works great too...

Just make sure to get nails approved for outdoor use and ACQ approved if goin into treated wood...your gonna pay about more for that box of nails than the gun, but its worth it...u can even get ringshanked treated nails for outdoor use..

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
All I know is even the small family owned hardware store here in town sells bostitch fastners.. And not that I've paid attention but I've never seen a dewalt nailer and if there nailers are anything like there drills I wouldn't even use one to practice throwing stuff off the roof.. Just my personal experience with dewalt drills.. We also use a senco roofing nailer and a senco trim nailer..

Last edited by Bluegillerkiller; 02/05/13 07:14 PM.

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

K
K
The old Dewalt tools are fine but Black and Decker bought them out. So they are a b&d and not good enough to use a lot.

Two ponds, 13 and 15 acres on the Mattaponi River.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
B&D bought dewalt huh did not know that but that explains everything.. Thanks for that little nug of info..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

C
C
I have seen a lot of guys using 18v cordless guns for smaller projects I would not want to do an entire roof but for the ease I would look in to the Milwaukee line of cordless nailers.

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
This one is not pneumatic, but dang cool!

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I am a Porter-Cable fan, but I do not own a framing nailer. I use an Estwing hammer.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
If you are going to drive nails with a hammer, Estwing is the one to do it with!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Ken, I've used small compressors to drive nails and staples. You just have to stop after a couple of them to let the pressure rebuild. I have a Porter cable and a cheap one that came with a compressor. They both work OK.

The limitation is the size of the compressor tank.

BTW, I have 5 compressors from 220 volt down to a couple that are convenient to carry around.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
S
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
S
Ken, I've got the porter cable pancake compressor, and like you usually just use it for finish nailing, but rather than drag out the giant compressor, i will carry the pancake around and use my porter cable framer as well.

Dave is right, you have to pause once and a while to let it air back up, but it works well enough. If you aren't careful you can half-drive a nail in, and have to polish it off with the ol' swingin' arm, but for the most part, it works well.

The same gun has a round clip for roofing nails, and it is that compressor that i use for any roofing projects as well. When contracting through college, I used the pancake on a daily basis (at least when a larger compressor wasn't on-hand), and in some cases, thought i was going to burn it out since it was just constantly running to re-fill. If you do a project like that, where the pancake runs and runs and runs (let's face it, it wasn't really designed for framing), just be sure to de-compress at the end of the day, and open the spigot on the bottom to let all of the water out of it before your next use.

-Skinny

edit: let the water out in the grass, it is full of rust and sludge, and will stain your driveway/garage/shop floor.

Last edited by skinnybass; 02/06/13 10:32 AM.

Trying to help with 7.5 Acres in the Chain of Lakes Illinois
- -
The fish would stay out of trouble if it could just keep its fool mouth shut.
Turns out there is a lot I should be learning from the fish.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 05:33 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 04:51 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by BillyE - 03/28/24 04:35 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass