Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
1 members (anthropic), 750 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
OP Offline
E
I'm hoping someone can point me towards some information about the catchability of bass in ponds that are adequately stocked with Tilapia.

The owner of the pond I fish stocked Tilapia last year, but at less than 5lbs per acre. I'm trying to convince him to stock more this year, since the tilapia last year only put a small dent in the FA and grass and we didn't see much improvement in the bass.

His concern is that a lot of Tilapia will make the bass impossible to catch, but I remember reading a study that showed the opposite. It said that adequate forage made the bass active for longer periods and actually improved catch rates. Anyone have a link or know of any articles on the subject? Or can anyone share their own experience with catch rates before and after stocking Tilapia at a higher rate, such as 20lbs+ per acre?

Thanks

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
LMB do just fine with tilapia @ 20 lbs per acre. Plenty of people do that. You may need to watch your carrying capacity. Tilapia are no different than other forage fish wrt LMB feeding. That assumes they do not overwinter in the pond. That would change all aspects of this post.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
To add to ewest's post above, the only "danger" to carrying capacity in a pond where tilapia death is annual would be similar to feeding pellets bluegill heavily...once the total number of game fish weight is increased in the pond by the "feeder" tilapia, not continuing to stock tilapia anually will leave a lot of hungry mouths with no food to find.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

ewest note

I agree with Rex's point about keeping up forage (fish and or feed) as it is not wise to jerk the food chain out from under the fish. Just be sure to keep an eye on water quality (carrying capacity) as you ramp up the engine that is your pond. Same would go for any activity (stocking , feeding , supp forage - of all kinds or fertilization) that ramps up production. The faster you run an engine the more you need to watch for possible problems ( it is called management). FWIW 20 lbs of tilapia per acre is a common amount in the south in many ponds. Some less , some more , depending on the situation. It will not effect LMB feeding methods / amounts but will improve their condition.

Last edited by ewest; 01/27/13 08:41 AM.

ETB, there's no catchability problem that I've ever experienced. If the pond is around Rowlett, you should get at least 6 or 7 months use out of them. Not sure what grass you're talking about, but if the pond can handle the load, 20 pounds per acre should handle the FA. Mozambique Tilapia are a very good choice for this area.

Last edited by FireIsHot; 01/26/13 11:01 PM.

AL

E
OP Offline
E
Thanks for your replies everyone. The pond is near Canton, TX. Tilapia surviving over the winter shouldn't be a problem.

Originally Posted By: EastTexasBassin
The pond is near Canton, TX. Tilapia surviving over the winter shouldn't be a problem.

No, but the Tilapia walking to Dairy Palace may be. laugh

AL

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
We stock tilapia in about 20 of our 45 ponds and lakes. Many of those are in and around east Texas and a few around the Canton area. We seldom stock 20 lbs to the acre, but more likely 10 lbs to the acre. I would love to stock 20 lbs to the acre, but when you are stocking 30 acre lakes; in can get expensive real quick. We see no difference in catch ability in lakes where this is the case. The severity of the FA will help determine how many to the acre you need to stock, but 5 to the acre is probably not going to put a dent in a pond, unless you have a pond that has very little FA to begin with. I think 20 lbs to the acre is a good amount. If the lake or pond is covered; 20 lbs to the acre may not cover it. I know some properties that stock 30 to 40 lbs the acre, but that is more for forage than FA control. I would start with 15 to 20 lbs and see how it does. Once you get it under control you maybe able to cut back to 10 to 15 an acre.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Steve, thanks for your response - tilapia stocking rates in N.E. Texas ponds - it all depends, as you say.
First stocking years ago 5 lbs/acre didn't put a dent in FA - 10 lbs works for me under normal conditions - 15 to 20 lbs per acre when bad as last year.

No difference in LMB catch rate with or w/o tilapia except seasonal cold water effect - only time no tilapia present.
George

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
The pond is near Canton, TX.

EastTexasBassin my property in Wills Point is only about 15 miles away from you and I had 95 lbs of Tilapia in my 4 acre pond last summer. The tilapia did well, but did not dent the aquatic vegetation as much as I would have liked, so I may up the tilapia numbers this year and see what happens.

I bought my first batch of tilapia last May. They were from the Northeast Texas Farmers Co-op in Canton. The Northeast Texas Farmers Co-op tilapia were kind of small and did not seem very good quality. The young guy bagging them took forever, seemed like he hated his job, and I think stressed the fish. A month later I bought my second batch of tilapia from Overton's Fisheries. The Overton's tilapia were big, healthy, active, much better quality. Overton's delivered them to my pond.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

E
OP Offline
E
We got our Tilapia from Overtons last year. We made the drive and picked them up. They were kinda small, they said someone had just bought all of the larger ones. We were planning on trying the co-op this year, thanks for the info.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
We got our Tilapia from Overtons last year. They were kinda small, they said someone had just bought all of the larger ones.

wow that's a bit surprising....
unless it was towards the end of the buying season
what month did you buy your Overton's tilapia?

Fishing has never been about the fish....

E
OP Offline
E
It was very late in the season, early July. We won't be waiting that long this year.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
ETB, The Tilapia fry/Fingerlings are easily eaten by young fish and few Tilaia offspring reaching 4+ inches can't be easily captured by LMB until becoming lethargic, when the LMB will gorge on them and wipe out the edible size tilapia in a couple days time. Since the Tilapia are not an easy, filling prey throughout the year for larger LMB, catchability wouldn't be affected till the tilapia lethargy phase occurs, and as said, only lasts a couple days.

FWIW, in trophy Bass ponds SEPM and some other managers stock Tilapia in rates at and eceeding 100 pounds per surface acre to not only be a huge forage supplement, but also to keep aquatic vegetation stripped to allow bass to eat easily and grow. I have yet to see or hear an "upper limit" in a pond where the tilapia will die annually. Unfortunately, there is little, if any scientific studies on Tilapia in sportfishing ponds...lots on monoculture and polyculture aquaculture ressearch related to growing food fish only, where carrying capacities for growth to harvest size exceed 11,000 pounds of fish per acre of water...a capacity a "recreational pond" will never reach without .

Edit: Corrected typo on LMB capturing 4"+ tilapia from "can" to "can't easily" and more clarification...

Last edited by Rainman; 02/02/13 12:34 PM.

Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
I'd like to chime in here. I was initially worried about what Rex presented in his first post in this thread. I thought we'd stock tilapia into a bass-heavy pond, they would reproduce prolifically, bass would grow, tilapia would die in the fall and the pond would be out of food.
In fact, that's not what happens at all. As long as bluegill are present in that pond/lake, tilapia increase survival rates of baby bluegill. Think about it mathematically. Tilapia outproduct the bluegills. Say your pond produces 100,000 tilapia and 50,000 baby bluegills over a three month period. What's the statistical chance that those bluegill will be eaten? The odds shift and bluegill survival rises. Over the entire year, baby bluegill have the opportunity to thrive with lower odds of being eaten than if there were no tilapia in the lake. As the season progresses and we get into fall, tilapia become sluggish. Bass gorge themselves on small tilapia and the bigger ones die off. Left behind? Thousands of small bluegill which were able to survive because of the big numbers of tilapia in that pond. So, you have good odds of more forage fish going into winter than if you hadn't stocked tilapia in the first place.

Back to the original question. I like the premise. If a lake has plentiful food and bass have lots of options as what to eat, they eat more freely. I think that's the concept that's being asked.

I've been studying intently "catch rates" and people tend to think it's mostly related to hunger. Other folks think bass become hook shy when too much fishing pressure is on a fishery. Still, others believe that when we catch and remove bass, we are basically harvesting the most aggressive fish in the lake and altering the evolution of that fishery into a passive one, genetically.

It makes sense to me that a lake teeming with baitfish, even if those forage fish stocks are seasonal, could certainly impact the behavior of the nearby predator fish population. It makes sense to me that they could be aggressively feeding when that food is availabile. If so, it makes me think that catch rates should rise.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I agree with Bob's "chime in" completely...My point was... not continuing to stock Tilapia annually after raising (non tilapia) fish biomass, stops all the increases gained in Bob's post above and the "carrying capacity" falls back to "pre-tilapia" levels through starvation/predation somewhere in te food chain.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Never a good idea to jerk the food chain out from under the fish ! Once you start augmentation ( tilapia , pellets , fert program etc )you need to keep it up or be ready greatly reduce the number/weight/amount of predator fish.

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: Rainman
ETB, The Tilapia fry/Fingerlings are easily eaten by young fish and few Tilaia offspring reaching 4+ inches can't be easily captured by LMB until becoming lethargic,

Rex,

Your experience has been that adult LMB can't easily capture (feed effeciently) on 4"+ tilapia until they become sluggish or lethargic in the falling water temps in the fall or winter?

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
The tilapia will die 100% of winters in Canton.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: salex
Rex,

Your experience has been that adult LMB can't easily capture (feed effeciently) on 4"+ tilapia until they become sluggish or lethargic in the falling water temps in the fall or winter?

In my pond, that doesn't have a lot of fish hiding cover, I've seen packs of 12"-14" LMB chase 4" Tilapia and the Tilapia actually "swim" up on shore to get away from the LMB. The pack will wait until they flop back into the water..... While it may not be easy, or effecient, if a limited amount of small Tilapia are stocked, they can get wiped out in a hurry and will preclude a sufficient breeding population for the pond.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Boy, have things changed - I go back to the days when Lusk thought tilapia stocking was not a good idea... grin

I believe we have to be very careful in giving tilapia advice, unless advice is qualified for southern or northern waters...
BIG differnce!
G/

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
George, I agree. Same with initial stocking advice for LMB/BG ponds. Big difference between N and S ponds in regards to time frame of stocking.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
At this point I agree with esshup about 14"+ bass frequently eating 4" tilapia and will disagree with Rex until I see some stocking and survival data. I like esshup have seen 13"-14" bass and sometines groups of bass attack kill or eat newly stocked tilapia that were 5"-7" long. What do you think would happen with a 4"-5" tilapia that is newly stocked into a pond with a fair number of 17"-19" hungry LMB?? If there is plenty of food items in the pond when smaller 4"-6" tilapia are stocked, then the chances of survival will be better IMO.

It would be very interesting to see a study where 4"-6" tilapia were stocked into a LMbass pond and look at the survival rate of those tilapia stockers after 3 to 4 weeks. Rex has told me that tilapia are quick and keen at escaping bass, but I wonder how quick a tilapia would be when it is focused on eating some filamentous algae or with its snout sucking up some algae - bacteria laden sediment.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/05/13 11:50 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
LMB (like many fish species) are incredibly adapted and infused with amazing innate survival abilities. Note I did not say smart. Look at this and think about the intricacies of optimal-foraging theory. Note how this fits into the points made above by Bob , Bill and others. FYI 100mm = 4 inches +-.

Transactions o f the•4rnerican Fisheries Society 114:725-731, 1985
¸ Copyright by the American Fisheries Society 1985

Effects of Cover and Prey Size on Preferences of Juvenile
Largemouth Bass for Blue Tilapias and Bluegills in Tanks!

HAROLD L. SCHRAMM, JR. and
ALEXANDER V. ZALE

Abstract
The effects of vegetative cover and relative size of prey were tested on the forage preference of
juvenile largemouth bass Micropterus salmoides offered blue tilapias Tilapia aurea and bluegills
Lepomis macrochirus in laboratory electivity experiments. W hen offered forage at or near the
maximum consumable size in tanks without vegetative cover, largemouth bass preferred bluegills,
but consumed blue tilapias in the presence of vegetation. W hen offered forage smaller than the
maximum consumable size in tanks without vegetation, largemouth bass selected blue tilapias.
Differences between the forage species in body morphology and effective use of protective cover
Apparently caused the changes in prey selection . ur results suggest blue tilapias may be a suitable
Forage for largemouth bass, but that habitat characteristics and relative size distributions of other
available forage may affect their use.

When offered forage at or near the maximum
consumable size in tanks without vegetative cover,
largemouth bass consumed more bluegills than
blue tilapias in 11 of 12 trials (Table 1). When
offered forage of the same relative size in tanks
with vegetation, largemouth bass consumed more
blue tilapias than bluegills in all 8 trials (Table
1). In trials with forage smaller than the maximum
consumable size in tanks without vegetation,
largemouth bass consumed more blue tilapias
than bluegills in 8 of 10 trials (Table 1).
Selection was significantly different from random
in all three cases.
Relationships between total length and body
depth indicated bluegills larger than 45 mm TL
were deeper bodied than blue tilapias of comparable
length; at total lengths less than 45 mm,
blue tilapias were deeper bodied than bluegills
(Fig. 1). Slopes of the regression lines were significantly
different. Blue tilapias consistently
weighed more than bluegills of equivalent total length or body depth (Fig. 1

In the absence of vegetative cover, juvenile
largemouth bass consumed blue tilapias rather
than bluegills when both species were smaller
than the maximum consumable size, but reversed
their preference when prey were at or near
the maximum consumable limit. We suggest this
reversal is consistent with optimal-foraging theory
(Schoener 1971; Pyke et al. 1977). Within
each of these trials, body depths of both forage
species were equivalent and interspecific differences
in total lengths were relatively small or
absent (Table 1). However, blue tilapias consistently
weighed more than bluegills of equivalent
body depth or length. This difference in depth or
length-specific weight was attributable to the
more robust morphology of blue tilapia; blue tilapias
are conspicuously thicker bodied and have
a greater girth than bluegills of equivalent length
or body depth. When offered easily ingestable
forage, well below the maximum consumable size,
largemouth bass selected the heavier, and therefore
more energetically valuable, prey item (blue
tilapia). Conversely, when offered forage at or
near the maximum consumable size, for which
handling costs are high (Werner 1974), largemouth
bass selected the more laterally compressed
prey (bluegill). Thinner-bodied prey may
be ingested more efficiently because of reduced
girth or defensive struggle capabilities, or may
have been selected simply because largemouth
bass perceived them to be smaller, despite their
body depth. Largemouth bass prefer forage
smaller than the maximum consumable size
(Tarrant 1960; Wright 1970; Shaftand and Pestrak
1984).
Because the largemouth bass in experiment 3
(forage smaller than the maximum consumable
size) were larger than the largemouth bass in experiment
1 (forage at or near the maximum consumable
limit), differences in predator size may
have affected prey selection. However, both
groups of largemouth bass were of a size considered
to be predominantly piscivorous (Carlander
1977) and no relationship between predator size
and prey selection within each experiment was
evident (Table 1). We consider relative prey size
to be a more likely explanation of the observed
reversal in prey selection.

When offered easily ingestable
forage, well below the maximum consumable size,
largemouth bass selected the heavier, and therefore
more energetically valuable, prey item (blue
tilapia). Conversely, when offered forage at or
near the maximum consumable size, for which
handling costs are high (Werner 1974), largemouth
bass selected the more laterally compressed
prey (bluegill). Thinner-bodied prey may
be ingested more efficiently because of reduced
girth or defensive struggle capabilities, or may
have been selected simply because largemouth
bass perceived them to be smaller, despite their
body depth. Largemouth bass prefer forage
smaller than the maximum consumable size
(Tarrant 1960; Wright 1970; Shaftand and Pestrak
1984).

The increased consumption of blue tilapias by
largemouth bass in the vegetated tanks suggest
that blue tilapias did not use vegetative cover to
escape predation as effectively as bluegills.

Our findings indicate habitat characteristics
may affect relative use of blue tilapia by largemouth
bass. Furthermore, the consumption of
blue tilapia may affect the predator-prey dynamics
of other forage species. High densities and
stunting ofbluegills are commonly attributed to
reduced vulnerability to predation by piscivores
when aquatic vegetation is abundant. Juvenile
largemouth bass selectively foraging on blue tilapias
when vegetation is present may further
reduce predation on bluegills. Shaftand et al.
(1983) found an increase in the abundance of
small bluegills in a vegetated lake containing
largemouth bass and an expanding population of
blue tilapias.

Last edited by ewest; 02/05/13 02:33 PM.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
A couple things stand out to me here.

1) Where does science draw the line dividing a reflexive action/ adapted ability/ learned response, and an actual, very basic thought process, where fish are concerned? I've mentioned this here before, but I still struggle to place every observed behaviour under the category of instinct, or adaptive behaviour rather than something more profound?

2) This particular study appears to reinforce a strong belief of my own: adding Tilapia to a traditional, LMB heavy, trophy BG pond may not be in your best interests if continued management of trophy BG is the goal, especially in the presence of vegetation.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
sprkplug:

I agree about your statement on introducing Tilapia into a pond where you're managing for trophy BG. What we did last year was in such a pond we stocked Tilapia that were predominately Male at the rate of 40# per surface acre. Filamentous Algae was controlled, and we didn't seen a larger recruitment of YOY BG from last year vs. the previous years. The pond will get the same treatment this year.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails