Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
1 members (Fishingadventure), 883 guests, and 173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#320429 02/04/13 02:08 PM
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Josh, Richard [Bullhead], and I are in need of forage suggestions for YP, SMB fishery. We want forage that will hopefully establish and become self sustaining. Cody and Travis have suggested these species in the past IIRC and I wanted to verify I'm not missing anything:

Bluntnose Minnow
Banded Kilifish
Topminnow

If I have the list correct, can someone recall the online source [which posted here on the forum at one time] where we can purchase these? We can't seem to find the post, but he advertises a wide range of "exotic" or hard to find fish such as these.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Spotfin Shiner was another one that Bill suggested.

I think there was a place called Jonah's Aquarium that sold small quantities, and expensive, of a variety of species, including many of the ones we're looking for. I think there's better options though.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
http://www.jonahsaquarium.com/jonahsite/fishlist.htm

Found it, pricing is ridiculous. $7/ea for bullheads! LOL, I'm in the wrong dang business!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
"Wholesale pricing available" for the bluntnose and spotfins.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
I'm inquiring...we may have to road trip to Cody.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
I have a friend who lives near Cody who visits Omaha often and is willing to deliver if necessary as well.

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
http://www.jonahsaquarium.com/jonahsite/fishlist.htm

Found it, pricing is ridiculous. $7/ea for bullheads! LOL, I'm in the wrong dang business!

Will they take some in on trade?

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
No kidding, or BF tadpoles...I could fund us all no problem!

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Omaha
I have a friend who lives near Cody who visits Omaha often and is willing to deliver if necessary as well.

I think Bill had Spots and Bluntnose...only $3.99/each! grin

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
TJ, with all the limestone that is available in your area, I'd make sure I had enough habitat in place to keep a viable, self sustaining population of papershells in the ponds as well.

You may want to think about having areas of heavy cover for forage fish protection, but then clear areas for the predators to have a wide open hunting area.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Do spotfins and bluntnose occur naturally in NE?
See my "Growing the Best Smallies" Part V for some good food items for smallmouth bass.
http://www.bassresource.com/fish_biology/growing-smallmouth-bass.html

The food items listed is not all inclusive and intended as a good basis. Threadfin shad could be a possibility for southern ponds. Hybrid bluegill are another possibility that would a bonus fish and also provide a good panfish but not a lot of forage fish. The banded killifish could be substituted for the top minnows. Don't overlook tilapia. They could work well with smallies in a pond that has algae. Weed beds or dense cover would be very beneficial in a pond with smallies to provide refuge for the forage fish. It is a delicate balance between too many weeds and enough to create good small fish refuge. Some shallow water or an adjacent wetland may help with cover for forage foods including grass shrimp and numerous insect larvae. A thought - If one had a lengthy part of the shoreline 50-100ft with tethered floating islands this may provide good habitat for small fish of all kinds, improve water quality and not get out of control plant-weed management wise.

Omaha mentions spotfin shiner Cyprinella spilopterus. I like them. I am not sure how they would thrive with smallmouths as a main predator. But other very similar species in other parts of the US are the satinfin shiner - eastern US (Cyprinella analostana) and Steelcolor shiner - more central midwest (Cyprinella whipplei).
http://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/factsheet.aspx?SpeciesID=523

All have the same niche, do well in ponds and spawn the same unique way. These shiners work good for the perch dominated ponds. One may have to resort to using the golden shiner which gets large(8"-10") and can better avoid smallie predation compared to the other shiners - spotfin, satinfin and steelcolor which get to around 5" long. If you have any of these shiners in streams of your area, I can tell you how to collect them.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/04/13 03:03 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Bill

Is the idea that bluntnose minnows will be more successful than FHM a misconception on my part? We intend to use papershell crayfish and grass shrimp in conjuction with minnow species, we're just not entirely certain what the best species are to pursue for Nebraska fisheries.

Sounds as though you're in favor of blackstripe topminnow and/or banded kilifish. What about Bluntnose?

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Do spotfins and bluntnose occur naturally in NE?

Yes they do. I've talked to a local fisheries biologist about them and he suggested larger creeks or small rivers, but I've had no luck.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
You are correct. The bluntnose is much better at surviving predation compared to fatheads. Although with inadequate refuge areas smallies will eliminate the bluntnose. An abundant population of yellow perch in a pond with minimal habitat - refugia will eliminate the bluntnose. Bluntnose are able to maintain good densities and thrive in many natural lakes with bass, walleye, pike and yellow perch, however in these waters there are always weed beds, good amounts of emergent vegetation and often rocky &/or woody cover. You can't expect quail and pheasants to live in open fields with predators around without good, adequate, diverse cover. The cover density would depend on how many predators there are preset per unit area.

The banded killifish gets to a decent size maybe 5". I have no experience with them and do not use them for fear they will compete and eliminate my blackstripe topminnows.
http://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/factsheet.aspx?SpeciesID=685
There is a western banded killifish
http://aquafind.com/Killifish/Killifish-Western-Banded.php

I think topminnows and killifish would use the same niche. It appears banded killifish occur in Ohio and the upper midwest, but I would try them in a perch - smallie pond or a perch pond if did not have my topminnows. I think the banded killifish would be better at avoiding predation compared to any of the topminnows mainly because the killifish get larger than the topminnows.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/04/13 03:43 PM.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Your blackstripe topminnows and bluntnose, given appropriate cover, are doing well in your YP/SMB ponds now, correct?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
The bluntnose, spotfins and topminnows do well in my weedy 3/4 ac pond but there are no smallies in it just perch and walleye. I would be doubtful if all would thrive if smallies were present. I would include the golden shiner if I had smallies. When I had smallies and YP in my smaller 1/3 ac pond that had weed cover the bluntnose and golden shiner survived to spawn each year. The shiner population was pretty 'strong'.

There is a 1/3 ac pond north of me that has smallies, YP and RES - all thrive although the RES numbers are not abundant (see below when male BG were added). A population of reproducing smallies with 20-40 new recruit smallies per acre per year would be a pretty strong predatory force on these three small soft rayed fish. Smallies do not hesitate to feed surface to bottom on whatever soft rayed fish is available. Perch and walleye are not known for the surface feeding where some upper open water fish species can escape being chased. I often see minnows probably shiners or top minnow jumping, skipping on the surface to I assume avoid being eaten.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/04/13 04:50 PM.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Thanks Bill, my experience is that GSH can survive heavy SMB and even HSB populations - maybe feeding is helping in my case.

I will have a female YP, male BG and RES pond designed as a "trophy" fishery - do you think a bluntnose/topminnow forage base along with Grass Shrimp would be successful?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
If one regually fed the fish I am confident yellow perch will do well with smallies and few other forage fish. You would keep the fishery thriving by feeding the perch and maybe a few of the self trained smallies. Smallies and some of the larger perch would grow by cropping the abundant smaller YP assuming the perch are producing good recruitment. Harvest the perch as the population increases. Harvest smallies based on what predatory force is needed to keep YP at the balance needed to achieve your goals. See the next example.

There is a small pond west of me that has only yellow perch, spotfins and one grass carp. The spotfins have only been in there for two years. The guy feeds carnivore Aquamax 500 & 600. I keep expecting this pond to stunt out but it hasn't happened since it was built and stocked in 1992. I think some of the big perch eat small perch and his limited annual harvest and daily feeding keeps the perch growing and from becoming stunted. I annually sample this pond by hook and worm angling and regularly catch larger perch in the 8"-12" sizes with an occassional 13"er. It is a learning experience for me.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/04/13 04:02 PM.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Your example above of " I will have a female YP, male BG and RES pond designed as a "trophy" fishery - do you think a bluntnose/topminnow forage base along with Grass Shrimp would be successful ". It could work well or be marginal depending on habitat. I would plan and use papershell crayfish in this pond that includes lots of broken concrete as multi-use habitat. I like to use broken sidewalk pieces which are managable for me to handle and place. Remember that one of Bob's main items for a successful trophy fishery is HABITAT. The crayfish would be optional if you did not use a predator such as smallmouth.

If you stock as planned, plan on the male BG and RES to cross. I learned that by putting 2 male bluegill in the pond that I mentioned above. The male bluegills were to be teacher fish to help lead the perch to pellets. It now has hybrid redears that are going fast. I'm not sure how this SMB-RES-YP-GSH fishery will progress with the backcrossing that will likely occur among the RES, hybrid redears, and male bluegills. It could easily after 4-8 yrs produce some fish that look and reproduce a lot like bluegill. Time will tell the rest of this story.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/04/13 04:34 PM.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Good info Bill, that's exciting having the BRES hybrids. Wonder if they are pellet training?

I could eliminate the RES in this pond, and make it BG/YP only, not a big sacrifice. I'd prefer having ZERO reproduction from anything with high fecundity.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
At least some of the hybrid RES are eating pellets which is how I noticed they were present. This summer I plan to sample them by angling. It should prove interesting to see what they look like and the variation that they display.

If you use just male BG and YP then the bluntnose and spotfin type of shiner should do real well. If you need weed and FA control add papershells which when abundant will produce moderate turbidity. YP at 9"-10" will readily eat papershell crayfish 2" long and maybe a little bigger.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/04/13 04:41 PM.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
I'm not sure how this SMB-RES-YP-GSH fishery will progress with the backcrossing that will likely occur among the RES, hybrid redears, and male bluegills. It could easily after 4-8 yrs produce some fish that look and reproduce a lot like bluegill. Time will tell the rest of this story.

I think Tony brought something up about this not long ago, about not wanting this cross in his pond and it got me rethinking male bluegill in my pond.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
BRES hybrids will be similar to BGSF in that 97% or so of offspring are male according to information EWEST sent me on BRES or RBG hybrids. I don't think you'll have an issue with reproduction according to that recent SMB article by Dave and Bill - YP, SMB and HSB should be able to keep them under control. Bill says he saw that for 10-12 years in one pond. BRES hybrids would be super cool Josh!

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
BRES hybrids would be super cool Josh!

No doubt. Just had me thinking/concerned is all.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
BGXRES could be 97% male of F1 generation but the succeeding F generations may not be as high of a percentage of males. I think Omaha is right to be concerned. I would only take a few rogue females to cause "trouble". Only way I would not be concerned is if the pond was easily drainable or lent itself for renovation.

"" Bill says he saw that for 10-12 years in one pond."" True but after the 12 years most of the current fish resemble GSF and appear to be prolific. The only benefit to them that I see is they are fairly narrow bodied and larger YP and smallies can eat a lot of those F generation trash. I thought that I caught out all the small type GSF but evidently I missed at least two and their numbers have rebounded. All those trashy GSF that I caught out I hand fed to the pellet trained SMB and two big HSB in the pond.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/04/13 08:21 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build