Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
TanyaClick, Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7, BamaBass9, Sryously
18,508 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,976
Posts558,107
Members18,509
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,556
ewest 21,502
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
8 members (John Fitzgerald, DPSMESA, Pat Williamson, papereater, Ibanez540r, gautprod, Sunil, bmo), 1,103 guests, and 225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
K
K
Mark, the Big O is not what it used to be. The last time I stayed down there(after major surgery), I counted the trailer parks in Okeechobee county. There was 758 in 2004. Trailer parks does not bode well for trophy fishing.

Two ponds, 13 and 15 acres on the Mattaponi River.
B
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
B
For me it 70% fishing and 30% the experience. If the fishing is poor I'll never go back. The accommodations or scenery would have to be very poor to turn me off if the fishing is good. It's a mix of both fish/human habitat and if they market it well looks like they should find people to keep it full. I think it's usually the fish that draws people back

"I think I have a nibble" Homer Simpson

34ac natural lake

R
R
My bucket list is more species then the place,and as I get older I start to see the value in a good guide and location.

Having said that my best and most memorable recent trip was going for wels catfish in Bulgaria,we couldn't buy a fish but it was a great time with a old friend in a awesome location.I could care less about the fish on a trip like that.

Bocomo.........we have plenty of 40+lbs stripers down here in southern NJ.My advice for catching a cow is you can't be afraid to get cold and wet in the dark.Stripers are my thing and to catch a cow you have to put the time in.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: kenc
Mark, the Big O is not what it used to be. The last time I stayed down there(after major surgery), I counted the trailer parks in Okeechobee county. There was 758 in 2004. Trailer parks does not bode well for trophy fishing.

Oh wow Ken...thanks for the update.
I've heard that is one big lake.
Sounds like it's not a great place to visit these days.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Glazener Ponds.....
Better than Richmond Mill...for me anyway... grin
My bucket list has been filled....
George

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
I'd vote for Nate's pond!

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: Bob Lusk
and were asking me how important the experience is compared to catch rates, size of fish and numbers of fish.

That is a question I have a feel for. Like some other have said, if the fishing is good, a clean trailer with a single bed is fine. If the fishing is bad, that same trailer is now a dump with crickets in the corner and dirty silverware in the drawer.

I think it depends on the type of client. Most experts will tell you it is all about the experience. And for the most part I agree. However, if the fishing is great, than you can have sub par everything else. If the fishing stinks, then you open yourself up to the world of nothing is right.

My assumption is that people paying Richmond Mill pricing are very concerned about the experience as $600 per person for an 8 hour day of fishing as at the high end of the market; and I would make sure the food, boats, lodging is top notch in case the fishing is poor.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Bob -- after all these posts, especially George's, I'm thinking I sure am happy right where I am.

We regularly catch 10-11 inch bluegill, with occasional 12 inchers out of our pond. We catch channel cats to 38 inches out of that same pond. Most winters, our pond is stocked with golden trout that are fun to watch when feeding, fun to catch, and really good when smoked. Our friends and relatives absolutely love coming here for relaxation, catching a few fish, and eating the catch.

Within miles of me, I've got some of the best smallmouth fishing anywhere in North America. I've got the Cacapon River two miles away. I've got the upper Potomac and Shenandoah 25 miles on either side of me. I've got lots of trout streams within 10 miles of me. We are sandwiched between the beautiful Blueridge Mountains and the Potomac Highlands. We have four wonderful seasons, where it doesn't get too cold, nor too hot.

A little over an hour away I get to enjoy Sunil's pond with great Pond Boss friends. It is the most awesome fishery I've ever fished -- seriously obese smallmouth, fat largemouth, gigantic yellow perch, agressive large bluegill, feisty hybrid striped bass, brown bullheads that defy statistics, and even pretty snapping turtles that bring big surprises to lowly outhouses.

We've got lots of Pond Bossers within 75 miles of us.

Why would I want to go anywhere else? I love it here.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
R
RER Offline
R
catmandoo , who could argue with that Wright up...
No Pond Bosses around me that I know but I am anticipating fishing more in my pond this year and I too have great fishing all around me. I have intracaostal waterways, rivers and oceans all with in a mile of my house. I just like the change of scenery I get in Wisconsin and the change up of fisheries; I feel I get the best of both worlds at times.

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
F
F
I would say the factors are

Type of Fish-

Quality of fishing-

Scenery-

And Company kept-

There are several Mountain lakes in WY now on my Bucket list mostly because of the people I would go with, and the scenery and fish come in second, but the chance of huge trout! and odd species like Goldens and Grayling run high too. Not too mention they want to do them in the winter and snow shoe in.

Glendive MT - Paddle fish.

Burbot - Any where

Maine - Blue back trout

Over 20 lb. Laker

over 25 lb pike

any Muskie

2 lb BG

and also forgot, PEACOCK BASS!!

Last edited by fishm_n; 01/29/13 07:03 PM. Reason: forgot the peacock

Water is the basis of all life, by design!
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
We regularly catch 10-11 inch bluegill...We catch channel cats to 38 inches out of that same pond. Most winters, our pond is stocked with golden trout that are fun to watch when feeding, fun to catch, and really good when smoked. Our friends and relatives absolutely love coming here for relaxation, catching a few fish, and eating the catch.

great post catmandoo...
sort of reminds me of the ending shown below in the video.
Sounds like you are in a beautiful spot
And no matter where we are...it's all about the memories our waters bring.

Ending - "A River Runs Through It"

Fishing has never been about the fish....

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
If I were going to "pay" someone to take me fishing, it would probably be an all day charter on Lake Michigan or Lake Superior for salmonids.

Maybe catch my first "ever" LMB this year? if the planets line up?

If I ever do a project south of here, maybe check out what the HSB are like?

Retirement, may tell a different story.

Last edited by JKB; 01/30/13 04:51 PM.
D
D
Wildman Lake Lodge, Alaska. Silver Salmon and Rainbow Trout like you've never seen. And plenty of Arctic Char as well.

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
For me, Lusk Lodge II! Always great people around, hospitality can't be beat, and lots of fish for the kiddo's to hook into.

Shawn

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Gulf of Mexico for yellowfin tuna or tarpon

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Staway Ranch now Eagles Nest in East Texas. Biggest and best crappie fishing I ever experienced, great LMB & Catfish also. Great all around experience, a fun place to take less experienced anglers, kids could always catch something and come home with a smile on their face.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
I have said several times King Fisher could be a great place for a Pond Boss get together between conference years [like this year]. I would be willing to help put it together, too -for something in the Spring. Could be a start of a great tradition - and would expose a lot of future clients to the lake.

I have four commitments right now: Hudson, Condello, Josh and another buddy of mine. That's two boats filled. Who else is in?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
I'm in, if I can bring some Green Sunfish for bait.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
I have said several times King Fisher could be a great place for a Pond Boss get together between conference years [like this year]. I would be willing to help put it together, too -for something in the Spring. Could be a start of a great tradition - and would expose a lot of future clients to the lake.

I have four commitments right now: Hudson, Condello, Josh and another buddy of mine. That's two boats filled. Who else is in?

How 'bout holding it at Al's place?
He has double digit LMB, culls 100 bass a day and CNBG over 2 lbs!
He only charges me $550 bucks a day... laugh

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

L
L
I posted on FB, but the Thousand Islands on the St. Lawrence river. When I was a kid you could catch something as soon as you dropped in your bait. There were specific "holes" which were good for large bass, and others for monster perch. That river THRIVED with life. Muskies so large you couldn't land them (or would scare you enough to cut the line), and eels that looked like electric cables. Not like you wanted one of those in your boat anyhow unless you wanted to be slimed.

What made it special? The variety of fish, the ease of catching them, the scenery, and the cool summer climate. A very unique place.

Originally Posted By: george1

How 'bout holding it at Al's place?
He has double digit LMB, culls 100 bass a day and CNBG over 2 lbs!
He only charges me $550 bucks a day... laugh

George, you get the family rate. Actually, TJ and I have talked about swapping trips. Me up there, him down here. It could be a blast to do and post about, and we both have Alligator Gar on our to do list.

That may have to wait a little while on my end though. Hopefully by June, there won't be a LMB left in my puddle. I've gotta get a grip on my previous mistakes, and I ain't getting any younger.

AL

Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
I have pretty much lost interest in "destination fishing". Why would I want to leave Bremerpond?

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
Lunker
Lunker
Dwight - good point, but understand this is a once every other year fishing get together with your beloved pond boss family coupled with some incredible fishing. Chance at a 3 lb BG followed by five star dinner sitting between two buddies and topped off with a serenade by Condello with a dozen crayfish in his shorts [that's how he goes vibrato]. Can you possibly conceive a better experience?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
I am in, if my schedule will permit.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I, like Dwight, lost a lot of interest in fishing at other places after I got my own pond.

One place that offers something you don't get everywhere is the Salmon River in Pulaski, NY. Massive fish pulled out of there....various types of Salmon, Steelhead, and other Trout.

I've never been there as it's a 8 hour + drive for me. But many friends have gone, including my brother, and my wife.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Tbar
Recent Posts
Oklahoma Clay bottom Pond leaking or wicking?
by John Fitzgerald - 05/01/24 06:46 PM
New Pond owner -- fish growth rate question
by DPSMESA - 05/01/24 06:40 PM
Is my feeder toast?
by Pat Williamson - 05/01/24 06:13 PM
Happy Birthday Tbar!
by Pat Williamson - 05/01/24 06:09 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by papereater - 05/01/24 05:52 PM
How much feed?
by ewest - 05/01/24 01:36 PM
What did you do at your pond today?