Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,814
Members18,486
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,513
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
3 members (Dave Davidson1, Groundhog7, TropicalKoi), 709 guests, and 226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Okay, folks,
If you want to play golf in "The" places, you'll go to The Old Course in Scotland, Pebble Beach, Augusta and Pinehurst #2. Those places have achieved 'godlike' status among golfers.

What are those places for fishing in North America? And, why?

What are your bucket list places to fish...and why?

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Bob:

I'm going to throw a kink in your survey because I like fishing Salt Water.

In no particular order:
16 or 21 day trip out of San Diego for Monster Tuna
Like this one (The Excel is a nice boat - been on it a number of times)

Monster Bluefin Tuna trip off the New England Coast

Richmond Mills for monster Bluegills

Where my buddy goes in Canada for Lake Trout and Northerns on a flyrod in the Spring

Somewhere to catch a 15+ Largemouth

Alaska for Salmon, Grayling and barndoor Halibut, both in the ocean and in the streams/rivers.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Just North America?

My bucket list would include a white sturgeon from Alaska, Trinity River for an alligator gar, the Mississippi Delta for redfish, Lake of the Woods musky.... Oh, there's so many more...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Josh, look into Webster Lake in Indiana for Muskie fishing.....
IIRC there's more per acre there than any other place in the world.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
Lunker
Or you can join us to the Lake of the woods this summer. So far I have a 47 1/2 and a 49 incher, this is the year for that 50+

I go to the places that I want to freshwater fish except maybe grayling so my bucket list is saltwater. I have no experience with saltwater fishing so many species interest me from Halibut to tuna to the sailfish, etc

California Delta for LMB
Alaska for Salmon (going this Spring)
Thousand Islands for SMB
TJ's pond for YP

AL

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Mark:

I'd seriously look at the Excel for a 16 day trip in October. Yes, it's a long boat ride to get to where the fish are, but it's worth it! You'll gain weight on the trip because the food is good too. Plan on 3 squares a day, plus mid morning and mid-afternoon snacks. They have tackle to rent.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Originally Posted By: esshup
Josh, look into Webster Lake in Indiana for Muskie fishing.....
IIRC there's more per acre there than any other place in the world.

Nice! And noted!

W
W
My Dad, my self, and my son (age 10) are headed to Canada this June with some friends from work. Nine of us in all. Six nights. Can't wait.

David

David
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Richmond Mills is the only place I really have a desire to pay and fish.. Then maybe some saltwater action but nothing in particular..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
R
RER Offline
R
Return to Algoma , WI to hit the King Salmon bite this july........
and of coarse a little tarpon fishing in a local pond I know of....

Last edited by BobbyRice; 01/28/13 02:25 PM.

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
Lunker
Lunker
Scott sounds great just real bad time of year. I typically up in saskatchewan chasing snow geese. I know you need to give something up once in a while. Thinking more like a Jan/feb trip when it is nasty cold here. Sorry bob for getting the topic off center

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Castaic or Miramar Lake in California. Maybe others because 22 of the top 25 bass have come from California.

Richmond Mills. That looks like a lot of fun and I would love to catch a nice bass and/or a giant bluegill.

Probably just about anywhere the Herman boys have managed for big hybrids. Not on the ice, thank you.

Come to think of it; probably Lake Fork with Al(Fire is Hot). He knows the lake and I haven't fished anywhere but ponds for many years. It would be a fun trip even if the fish had lockjaw. Kinda wondering if I even know how to cast over 25 ft any longer. Probably not.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 01/28/13 04:49 PM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Cape Cod for striped bass during the run...man... that would be great. Striped bass in the 40# range.

Canoe fishing Southern Missouri streams for smallmouth in the special management areas. Beautiful scenery, whole stream to yourself, SMBs up to 5# in 3' of water fight like fish five times their size.

Last edited by Bocomo; 01/28/13 04:39 PM.
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Good answers, guys. I'm at King Fisher/Richmond Mill Lake, talking with Jim and Dave. They are examining their business model and were asking me how important the experience is compared to catch rates, size of fish and numbers of fish.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Another vote for Richmond Mill and some giant BG.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Bob:

I'd put fish catching, size of fish and staying busy catching fish over accomidations every time, but then again I'm not bringing a wife along either.....

Having nice accomidations temper a poor day on the water, but I'm on a "fishing" vacation, not on a "spa" vacation.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
I think I’ve found that the experience is as, or possibly more, important than the fish themselves. Of course, the catch can sometimes dictate whether that experience was a good one or not, but more often than not I will have forgotten what fish I caught, but remember the good times had with friends and family. Or, in relation to this conversation, the water we utilized.

T
T
Kenai River Alaska area because of the multiple species freshwater and Saltwater. A one stop shop of Salmon, Trout, Halibut, Cod, ect.. to go along with alot of natural wildlife viewing. Just would like to catch some of everything available and enjoy the scenic views.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I know this doesn't really answer the question. But, when I was still really young and dumb, going to college and holding down three jobs -- one of which included "fishing guide" -- I found that it was best to only take clients to places where there were lots of great fish that you could catch.

Because of licensing and travel-time restraints to make money, I was restricted to northeastern Minnesota and northern Wisconsin, even though I had easy access to Upper Michigan, lower Ontario, and eastern Manitoba. So, I made the best of it.

Nearly every great fishing area that I knew in that area, from the mid-1950s to the early-1970s, has changed considerably in recent decades for many good and bad reasons.

Yet, I would not rule out the mouth of St. Louis River between Duluth, MN, and Superior, WI. With a good guide, on a well equipped small boat, you can bring in an incredible number of great walleye. With the right guide, you can experience sturgeon that will make you swell with goose bumps when you bring one aboard. With the same guides (mainly out of Barkers Island, Superior, WI) you can go out into Lake Superior for lake trout and a variety of different salmon.

The entire northern Wisconsin, northeastern Minnesota, southern Ontario, and eastern Manitoba waters will bring experiences for trout of many kinds, salmon, walleye, northern pike, natural and tiger musky, sturgeon, lawyer (burbot to the rest of you), smallmouth bass, jumbo yellow perch, and fish you never thought you would experience or even imagine -- like big white fish and cisco.

Darn. I was just called to dinner -- it's chicken!

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Another vote for Richmond Mill and some giant BG.

I probably should add that for me, the fishing itself is the draw. I don't want to spend the night in a tent, but by the same token I don't require a serenade or flaming dessert to feel comfortable either. Fishing for me, is about the fish. I've always fished alone, (until I had kids anyway), and my peculiarity has meant that I never developed a taste for socializing. So, if I ever make it to Richmond Mill, I'll probably be alone. But that just means when the guide says I'll pick you up at 6:00 a.m.....I won't have any problem being on the dock by 5:30.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bob Lusk
Good answers, guys. I'm at King Fisher/Richmond Mill Lake, talking with Jim and Dave. They are examining their business model and were asking me how important the experience is compared to catch rates, size of fish and numbers of fish.

I could care less about the experience if I'm landing 3lb BG lol they could make me sleep in a dumpster for them fish of a lifetime

Last edited by Bluegillerkiller; 01/28/13 06:22 PM.

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Bob...when I was kid growing up in the seventies Lake Okeechobee was always talked about...so it kind of had this magical aura about it for me. I've always wanted to fish the Big O. I am not in-tune with the top bass fishing lakes like I used to be...so I'm not even sure if Lake Okeechobee is even a top lake anymore. Being from Texas I can't believe I've never fished Toledo Bend, so that would have to be on the list too.

As far as experience vs fish...at this point in my life it's almost all about the experience. That's one reason I love Caddo Lake so much. It's just so darn beautiful and unique it doesnt really bother me whether I catch many fish or not...don't get me wrong I love to catch some fish...but just a few fish and I'm happy. If the setting is pretty, the accomodations are nice, with good food, good friends, cold beer, then catching fish is the icing on the cake. I prefer black bass, but if I catch 10 of anything decent size...I won't be complaining. I brought a guy out to my pond this past Sat and he caught 3 fish...but he also rode an ATV, did some shooting, help build a fire, and help drop a tree in the water...and he told me today at work "that was one of his best saturdays in quite awhile"....heck thats what it's all about to me.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
1/2 mile south of my property in Fremont, MI. Kinda has everything in the system. Never boring!

Last time I launched Golf Balls was with a baseball bat!

What is their target market? Serious fishermen? Families? Rich guys on vacation? Corporate trips?

Last edited by Bocomo; 01/28/13 08:51 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
Protecting Minnows
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:43 PM
Major Fail
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:32 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy