Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod
18,494 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,960
Posts557,934
Members18,495
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
3 members (Fishingadventure, Boondoggle, Jward87), 716 guests, and 190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
OP Offline
S
I dont know which was harder, building the pond structure, or trying to upload the pictures. I have been at this all day. I keep getting the message that they are to large. I keep resizing them and I get the same message. I even went as small as a thumbnail size and that didn't work. What am I doing wrong?
Any suggestions? Steve

Attached Images
P1010799.gif P1010794[1].gif
Last edited by Steve Robertson; 01/17/13 02:55 PM.
S
OP Offline
S
Well as you can see I finally got them posted as an attachment. So anyway they start building my pond around the first of June. Being a Brickmason and not able to work this time of year I figured I just as well get started getting my structure built.
The first picture is one I made with some siding I had that I took off the house after I put on a room addition. Hopeing that the wider pieces wont float straight up, figure the bass will like hanging out under them. I did a sample one in a basket and added some weight, dropped it in the pool and they stayed down.
The second picture is my tree for the deepest part of the pond. Plan on fishing around it through the ice. I poured some concrete in the top pvc tee, and also added a big chunk of lead in it. Thought maybe I might be able to find it through the ice with my metal detector. I am not sure if it will be able to detect it, but figured
I had nothing to loose. I poured concrete in each of the tees on the main trunk to help add some weight over center of the bucket, and if it was ever to fall over it would just go to the bottom and make one huge brush pile. I have two rods coming out of the bottom of the bucket, and I poured concrete in each of the outer four pvc tees, with a rod coming out of them. I figure that should keep the tree in an upright position.
I plan on using some pallets for spawning places for FHM. Thought I would anchor them flat on the bottom. How deep do you guys suggest?
I will probably be having some guestions on stocking, so be prepaired. Steve

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I like that mega-tree setup

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Very cool tree Steve!
Fish are going to love it!

Fishing has never been about the fish....

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Steve, that is great - how are going to get it into the lake?

Just do it...
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks guys I think its going to work out great. I havent glued all of the joints yet. The trunk is the only thing that is glued. I have already taken it apart and have it stowed away. Should be able to set it up in an hour or less.

S
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
S
Nice tree!!

"I have not failed, I have only found 10,000 ways that won't work"
Thomas Edison
R
R
Yep, I'm likeing that tree!

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
I want to vertical jig that tree during ice time - nicely done! What's the placement plan of the tree? Is your pond dry?

Pallet placement - I'd keep them shallow. I placed mine just offshore and tied them off to a stick of PVC or rebar in the bank to prevent them floating away. They will eventually become saturated and sink, so shallow water is important as they will still serve as good spawning structure if near shore. I don't believe FHM will utilize pallets sitting on the bottom of the pond in 6' water - thinking shallow is better.

What are your thoughts on the fishery? What are your goals?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

S
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the intrest teehjaeh. My plans for the tree is in the deepest part of the pond. I figure thats going to be my main ice fishing spot. They are not going to start building the pond until the first of June, so I got some time to build some more structure. I have another idea in my head that I am going to try to get together next week.
As for fish I am planing on getting my FHM started first, followed by BG and LMB. Then thinking about waiting until the following year to start the CC. I allways thought if I ever built a pond I would want to have WC, because they are my favorite fish to catch if you can get them up around the 10 to 14 inch size. But I really dont want to take the chance of them getting over stocked.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Steve -How big and deep do you plan to make the pond? FYI - look for my article for a new and creative way to use crappie in ponds in the Mar-Apr 2013 Pond Boss Magazine which should be available by Feb 01.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/18/13 12:05 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
S
OP Offline
S
Hey Bill, The site for the pond is probably going to be at least 15 to 20 feet deep, and be around an acre in size.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
My new crappie stocking advice is generally for ponds 1 ac and less - aka the mini-ponds. Do you receive Pond Boss magazine?

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/18/13 02:36 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
S
OP Offline
S
I dont receive Pond Boss magazine as of this time.

Lunker
Lunker
Steve - I recommend becoming a subscriber. An annual subscription is the cost a few bags of Quickcrete!

We'll be here to help with stocking advice when you're ready. Please keep us in the loop in terms of your pond progress.

Ever think about stocking YP and RES to the fishery? Could complement the BG well, the LMB might enjoy snacking on the YP, so you may need to supplementally stock unless you keep LMB numbers controlled and have abundant submerged vegetation. YP are a blast to catch through the ice.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

S
OP Offline
S
Hey Teehjaeh I will keep you updated once things get underway. I had gave the YP a thought, and will more and likely be stocking RES. Still giving the WC some thought. Becoming a subscriber is on my list of things to do tomorrow.

P
P
Nice looking stuff Steve, especially that goofy siding stuff! No worries about that material floating or falling limp. The periphyton that will grow immediately on all surfaces will actually add some buoyancy as the small gases produced from nutrients being ingested form in the mix. Keep up the great work, more is better when it comes to inert substrate for habitat and water clarity.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/23/24 10:22 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/23/24 10:00 PM
Concrete pond construction
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 09:40 PM
Sealing a pond with steep slopes without liner
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 09:24 PM