Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,788
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
2 members (Foozle, Croakin' Toad), 712 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 19 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 18 19
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Sunil
Isn't #3 a tilapia???

We have a winner!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Nice looking fish, that GSH must be pushing 10". That CNBG is nice looking too... Lots of forage making ability there.

R
RER Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
Nice looking fish, that GSH must be pushing 10". That CNBG is nice looking too... Lots of forage making ability there.

thats the plan, hopefully to feed this guy I got in the other day while attempting koi. I think If I can get a little more clearity by removing a large portion of the koi the predators can feed a little better. I have about 5-6 long fin koi. I woulld like to leave those and remove the rest. 5-6 koi have to be better than 20-30

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
R
RER Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Operation Koi Removal is proving to be very hard now. The feeder went of and I did not even see a koi. They are totally avoiding me now after a only a few missed shots with the cast net. They used to be like pets and would just cruise and eat pellets , not now...

I tried down sizing hook and line size and floated a worm to see if that might work. This is what I got......they had more color but washed out after being in the white tub while I finished fishing.

I did removed the gold fish from the pond.

side note,
I saw the tarpon rolling on minnows several times, saw what I think was a sea trout flash at somthing near the feeder and a redfish take out somthing right near my feet at the shore line. I Can't wait to get the water clearity back up so I can better see and identify the striking species.

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
S
S
Speaking of white tubs to hold fish Bobby, I learned something a few days ago about the color of fish containers.

Been using a yellow 5 gallon bucket to temporarily hold BG to transfer to the old pond about an eighth mile away. They sometimes stay in there for 30 minutes or so with a small portable aerator. Noticed fish would spook when they saw me above or saw movement. Yellow bucket let in a lot of light.

Happened to grab a black bucket one day and used it. Noticed no fish spooking when working around the bucket. Started paying more attention to the situation.

My take is, a darker container that lets less light in causes the fish to feel more secure that they are hid and/or does not allow them to see as much movement around the container.

At any rate have been using the black bucket and I see much less fish jumping and generally being active in the container.

Just an observation, and I could be imagining it. But I don't think so.

Last edited by snrub; 06/13/14 09:47 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
R
RER Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Yea, I like dark one too..Keeps the fish calmer I think
One with a dark lid even helps more....

Last edited by BobbyRice; 06/13/14 01:17 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Great catch regarding bucket color. I would think anything that helps reduce stress on the fish would be worthwhile and increase the percentage of success.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

R
RER Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Stuby Steve's worked
I hooked up with two koi, Landed one and one bent the pan fish hook straight. They disapeared after all the activity of the fight.

This one was very full of eggs...
She has been removed from the pond.

I am constantly seeing the small tarpon rolling on minnows/Baitfish in the evening....I floated a minnow around but got nothing...At least I get to watch it feeding.

Last edited by BobbyRice; 06/18/14 08:17 AM.

R
RER Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Here is a small update from my visit to the pond yesterday after a long vacation in Wisconsin.

I fished and had a redfish smash a crank bait.It came off right at the shore line so I was not able to get a picture.,,Sorry....

I pulled my small 4ft seine net a couple times. I saw loads of YOY CNBG and a few baby tilapia.

I also saw some YOY GSH, I have been bucket stocking adults in an attempt to get recruitment and it seems I have had success, very happy about that.

Water clearity of way down, I need to remove more koi.

Last edited by BobbyRice; 08/18/14 01:35 PM.

R
RER Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Well look what I caught and landed in the pond this evening . It was released to grow some.
I also had a tarpon on, after two leaping head shaking jumps it spit the hook. If it was the same one I caught last year about this time it has doubled in size,Looked thick too.

Last edited by BobbyRice; 09/18/14 06:17 AM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Is that a Snook?

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Sure is! Very nice... Done some growing since being stocked!

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
How many tarpon do you have in the pond?

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
R
RER Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted By: djstauder
How many tarpon do you have in the pond?

not really sure exactly, two I know for sure becuase I cuaght two differant sized on the same day,

Not sure how big the snook where when the found ther way into the pond but definatly begger than when I first noticed them.

S
S
Cool pictures and pond Bobby. Keep them coming.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
R
RER Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Operation koi removal continues.. Landed and removed 3 large koi. (17-20") plus one old large goldfish. Somthing pulled line from hook so could have been another big koi or somthing much cooler! My knots pull lose from time to time .

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Bobby:

What kind of line are you using?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Hard to beat a Palomar knot for utility, ease of tying and strength.

R
RER Offline OP
OP Offline
R
My line varies with that same issue.

I'll look that knot up and try it.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
What did you do with those koi?

R
RER Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted By: Sunil
What did you do with those koi?

trade out at a local pet store, he gives me a store credit . He ordered me some grass shrimp and bubblers and stuff.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Palomar knot was rated at 94% breaking strength.
http://www.animatedknots.com/palomar/ind...imatedknots.com

I learned how to tie the 5 turn improved clinch knot when I was a kid and can tie it very quickly. I'll use this knot when the eye of the hook is too small for a double piece of mono (palomar). It's rated at 86%
http://www.animatedknots.com/improvedcli...imatedknots.com

One thing with mono is that you must wet the line before pulling it tight. The friction that the knot creates as it tightens when it's dry heats up and weakens the line.

When fishing salt water I learned how to tie the Uni knot. It's very versatile and can be used for many different things. You can pull it tight to the eye of the hook, you can leave the loop near the hook open so the hook swings freely, you can use it to join 2 lines together, etc.
http://www.animatedknots.com/duncan/inde...imatedknots.com

I've also found that when using lighter line (up to and including 8# test), if the fish are continually sucking in the bait deep enough so that their teeth are wearing on the line I have to re-tie every 3-4 fish so the line stays near it's rated breaking strength. If I don't re-tie, I find the line breaks near the hook upon hookset or if I'm lifting the fish out of the water with the hook/line (no net).

This happened last week when bass fishing with a plastic jerk bait. The bass were hitting the lure near it's "head" and must have abraded the line more than normal.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Scott,
You need to check your line after just about every speckled seatrout (like Bobby has in his pond) even when using 25lb mono leader...

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: djstauder
Scott,
You need to check your line after just about every speckled seatrout (like Bobby has in his pond) even when using 25lb mono leader...

I'll have to add that to the list of "fish you don't lip like a LMB". grin

www.hoosierpondpros.com

R
RER Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Made it down to the pond today, I have been busy and had not checked on it in awhile. The feeder is empty so Ill have to refill it and adjust the timer this weekend.

Tossed a worm on a bobber out real quick right at dark.

Removed one more koi (about 21") and got this large CNBG. I was alone so no one to take pics for me.

You can see its about half as round as a five Gallon bucket...IT was very fat too. so the feeder must have not been empty long.

Last edited by BobbyRice; 12/18/14 08:29 AM.

Page 10 of 19 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/18/24 08:53 PM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward