Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,956
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
7 members (Lumberman1985, catscratch, Lake8, Bill Cody, ewest, Drago, Shorthose), 1,509 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Bender Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
I was leafing through the Aquatic Eco systems Catalog and Tech Talk 114 caught my eye. The article is about using Hypolimnetic Aeration to increase DO without disturbing the thermocline.

This sounds great for a trout pond. Does anyone have any experience with Hypolimnetic Aeration?

I am thinking about using airlifts and some culvert to bring oxygen to the bottom (15' deep) of my 1/10 acre pond.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Bender. Look into a product called AquaKler for your situation. The results to date look good. We will putting this product to our own tests also this spring. Additional info can also be obtained at vertexwaterfeatures.com and at aquakler.com.Good luck

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
I know of a new product called AquaKler that may be perfect for your situation. This is a chemical compound that when applied to a water body quickly sinks to the bottom and slowly releases oxygen over an extended period of time. (up to 4 months?) We are conducting several case studies and so far this product has brought up and kept oxygen levels high for almost two months in ponds 1/2 - 1 acre. It's not practical or cost effective yet for larger bodies of water, but for your situation it would not take much to raise the oxygen levels on the bottom of your pond with out disturbing the thermocline. Per the manufacturers request it is only available through our distributors so if your interested contact me and I can put you in touch with the closest to you.

Sue Cruz
Vertex Water Features
www.vertexwaterfeatures.com

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
 Quote:
Originally posted by Sue Cruz:
I know of a new product called AquaKler that may be perfect for your situation..... It's not practical or cost effective yet for larger bodies of water.....
This is very interesting.

Approximately how much is this product to use per acre or acre/foot of water per treatment? Could it viewed as a replacement for aeration? It may be easy to justify if it meant I didn't have to run electricity to the pond or buy an aeration system.

Also, I noticed on the AquaKler website that the product is "practically insoluble in water at neutral pH levels". Does that mean it is only active as pH moves away from 7 or that the byproduct is practically inert?

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
The recomended rate is 40lbs/acre which is what we have used on a couple of our test plots. The depth shouldn't matter since it sinks to the bottom. We applied it in both a shallow pond and a deeper pond. Its effects can be active for up to 4 months depending on BOD. This is what we have been told which is why we are conducting our own tests. So far so good, but we are only 2 months into it. Since it is only effective for a few months, I don't think it is an alternative for year - round aeration especially in ponds much larger than an acre or two. I would recomend its use for winter aeration - apply before the pond freezes and it should provide oxygen through out the winter. Another case would be shallow water applications were bottom diffusers are inefficient (under 4') or where cold water fish species are a concern.
As far as the PH question is concerned I am unsure how the PH effects the solubility, but I will find out.

Sue Cruz
Vertex Water Features

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Could you not just wait until later in the winter season when there is snow on the ice, drill a few holes in the ice and dump some in? That way it would not be active until it is really needed? As ice over up here is around five months.

NOTE: Just in case you southern folks think I mean a hand drill when I say drill through the ice, I am mean using a 10" ice auger for ice fishing. \:\)

_ ________________________________________ _
Hi Honey I'm home... Is my new issue of Pond Boss here?
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
I don't see why it wouldn't work. I actually think the effects would last longer in the north because the cold water holds more oxygen and every thing slows down decreasing the BOD.

Sue Cruz
Vertex Water Features

B
Bender Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
 Quote:
Originally posted by Sue Cruz:
I know of a new product called AquaKler that may be perfect for your situation. This is a chemical compound that when applied to a water body quickly sinks to the bottom and slowly releases oxygen over an extended period of time. (up to 4 months?) We are conducting several case studies and so far this product has brought up and kept oxygen levels high for almost two months in ponds 1/2 - 1 acre. It's not practical or cost effective yet for larger bodies of water, but for your situation it would not take much to raise the oxygen levels on the bottom of your pond with out disturbing the thermocline. Per the manufacturers request it is only available through our distributors so if your interested contact me and I can put you in touch with the closest to you.
Sounds great where can I get it? In your tests have you used the Accelerator product?

I am planning on using a diffuser when temps allow. Will this product still work if I turn on the diffuser at night when temps are below 70?

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
The accelerator product is quick release and has its applications when one wants next day results. There are other products on the market that do the same as the the accelerator. The AquaKler is a completely new product. I don't think you need the accelerator.
You can use both the aeration system and the AquaKler at the same time.

Sue Cruz
Vertex Water Features

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
In the near future the total benefit to the oxidizing type products may be realized in conjunction with monitored DO and water temp levels.When to add how much to add etc.My o2 level is X and I need it at XX for example. Slow release products such as AquaKler will have a place in aquaculture as one better monitors and understands the water enviroment.Affordable monitors both hand held and remote are getting closer everyday. Five years from now most of us will be sitting in our favorite chair and be able to view this data (cheaply)Oxygenating agents are yet another tool to consider for your water situation. You will be hearing more about them soon, so stay tuned !!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If this were April 1st I would be waiting for the punchline. I've never heard of this stuff. Cecil, have you heard about this for your trout ponds?

It sounds perfect for me. How much oxygen does it provide? Does it produce visible bubbles? Does it work at high pH such as 8 or 8.5? Can I put it in my 150 gallon fish raising tanks so I don't have to aerate all day? This would eliminate my fears of a power outage killing my fish. Can you use too much? Is there any concievable horrific side effect that hasn't been considered?

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Bruce, probably no April 1st punchline on this for small waters 1 acre or less applications for now depending on the situation. We will be doing our own testing this spring as previously mentioned(or this winter if it ever gets here)on AquaKler. We as a Vertex Dealer sell AquaKler but I have to test it myself before I am comfortable talking about it or selling it. It will and does have its place I just need to determine where it fits. What I have seen to date is good.I will let the AquaKler Pros answer your questions.

C
Ambassador <br /> Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador <br /> Field Correspondent
Lunker
C
I agree with Ted about the AquaKler having a place in the proverbial "Aquatic Tool Box". I have interviewed both the manufacture and lake management companines that have used and tested this product.

Sue is correct in the fact that in ponds less than 2-acres, the results so far have been favorable. The lake management companies we interviewed said it kept the 02 at desireable levels for about 1-2 months depending on BOD and time of year.

A couple of other lake management companies were not pleased with their results and said the cost of repeated applications exceded the cost of an aeration system and monthly electric bills.

Maybe the pH question earlier played a roll in the results those companies had experenced and were not happy with the results?

I think with Ted and Sue doing their own testing as well as ourselves, (we have ordered some for testing in spring) we may be able to nail down these questions and find where the application will best be suited and what drawer this new tool can be placed in.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I really appreciate that you all are doing some independant research, because five of my six ponds are under one acre and I could benefit greatly from something like this.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by RobA:

Also, I noticed on the AquaKler website that the product is "practically insoluble in water at neutral pH levels". Does that mean it is only active as pH moves away from 7 or that the byproduct is practically inert? [/QB]
It means that the Aquakler becomes more active the lower the sediment pH is. That is what you want. Almost always the sediment with high organics contains a lower pH than the water column.

Sue Cruz
Vertex Water Features

R
R
Hello everyone. I work with the company that produces Aquakler and as I was reading through your comments I saw that there were some questions. If I can be of assistance with regard to the Aquakler please let me know.

As with any new product there always some questions as to how it works and where. I would like to answer them as directly as possible.

R. Wicker
Geoponics LLC
www.aquakler.com
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
I will start, you might want to start another thread just for Aqukleer. Sue has already addressed this. If i have a msall .2 cre pond mostly less than 2 feet that has major algae issues do you think Aqukleer will help reduce algae and how? thanks

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Can you use Aquakler in the bottom of a fish raising tank?

R
R
Bruce,
What type of tank are we talking about. It this a pond or a fish tank?

R. Wicker
Geoponics LLC
www.aquakler.com
R
R
Greg,
Geoponics makes no claims as to the control of algae. However, I can say that Aquakler will greatly assist with the immoblization of Phos and increase the aerobic condition of the organic sludge at the bottom of the pond. It is very simple to apply and you do not need any type license to apply it.

You can see some areas that have been treated by going to the presentation part of the Aquakler site. However we do not make direct claims with regard to the control of algae. I will just say a pond with good oxygen is a healthy pond.

Thanks for your question.

R. Wicker
Geoponics LLC
www.aquakler.com
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'm raising fish in a 150 gallon Rubbermaid tank with an aerator.

I thought the Aquakler would serve as emergency backup oxygen if the aerator quit working.

R
R
Bruce,
Yes it could do that however I think you would be much better served with a product like the Aquakler Accelerator as it release is in 90 secs. However Aquakler would work for extended period of time, but I would think you would want to get your aerator fixed as quickly as possible.

R. Wicker
Geoponics LLC
www.aquakler.com
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'm away from my tank for two to four days at a time. If I had the Aquakler I think it would serve as a safety backup in case the fish were without functioning aerator.

R
R
In that case it would work very well.

R. Wicker
Geoponics LLC
www.aquakler.com
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Thanks for answer. I have been to the site, b/c this is seriously good news if it works to reeduce phos as you describe. BTW I'm asking the questions b/c I'm a potential dealer that has major issues on several smaller bodies of water we manage. So feel free to explain in a more detailed manner, scintific manner.

I get how Aquakleer would aid in startified pond with no DO on bottom. I would think in my example with such a shallow pond you will recieve oxygen anyway right, not strafied with it only being 2 feet. Is there a direct reduction in Phos by adding more oxygen and again explain how? thanks

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Lumberman1985 - 04/25/24 03:01 PM
Low Alkalinity
by ewest - 04/25/24 02:13 PM
Howdy from West Central Louisiana