Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,950
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
6 members (Boondoggle, catscratch, Ponderific2024, Fishingadventure, FishinRod, Snipe), 1,050 guests, and 140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
OP Offline
D
Alright, I tried to do some research for my computer illiterate father, but can't find the definitive answer.

For the money what windmill out there is the best bang for the buck?

I realize some of you guys are distributers of some of this equipment, so give me your take on yours, and your competitors products. My father has a 2.5 acre pond/lake in the Cincinnati area, 20-25' in the deepest points and 5 feet in the shallowest. The plan is a windmill, with either a stone or membrane diffuser. Any suggestions?

1 Dock + Family + Bug zapper + BEER = good time
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
dad :

Welcome to the PB forum. There is a lot of info here on windmill aeration including types.

I think that those Forum members who are distributors will be very reluctant to answer your question as asked on the open Forum. The reason is that Forum rules prevent sales activity here. People are welcome to take part and help others but can not engage in sales activity for a host of reasons.

Guys if you want to answer this question (make a sales presentation) please help dad out but do so in a PM or email .

J
J
Hey everyone this is Dad in Cincinnati: I'm not cmpletely computer illiterate just close. Our lake is less than a year old and so far everything is workng fine. The fish are growing and the water is clean except for minor alge growth. But then it has been above 90 for the last two weeks. Any info concerning windmills will be helpfull.

Steve Rigling
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Windmills can be great looking and very functional. I'm sure there are many on the forum that are pleased with theirs and I'm sure there are vendors on this site who would be quite helpful and give you a very fair shake. I would like to express one concern however.

Windmills mostly work when it's windy. This means that windmills mostly work during the day. You are more likely to have dissolved oxygen problems at night. For this reason I'd research systems that function on a 24 hour basis before making the final decision.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Is there no way to get electricity to the pond? With that much depth, a compressor and diffuser would really turn the water over well. Not sure about windmills at that depth. You definitely want to place the diffuser in the deepest part of the pond. Best just to get on line and search for windmills rated at your max. depth and pond size. I'm sure someone with practical experience of your scenario will chime in.

I doubled with Bruce and echo his concerns of when a windmill works best.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E

W
Lunker
Lunker
W
I have a windmill setup that went out on me and i got a gast compressor and 2 diffusers to replace the windmill. If you can get power to the pond i would recommend a compressor setup you will get alot more turn over with a compressor than a windmill and its also cheaper. I have a koender windmill and its very nice and i love the way it looks but if the wind aint blowing it aint pumping.

You can pay more but you cant buy better.
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
To add to what the others are saying, you really need aeration on cloudy, still days. A windmill works like a champ except when you really need it.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
The aeration windmills as they exist today (Koenders 1.0-1.5cfm; Beckermill 2.4-3cfm) will only produce enough air to mix a small portion of the pond; approx 1/2ac to 3/4ac. The remaining parts of the pond will remain unmixed or uncirculated. For windmills and their diffusers to mix the entire 2.5 acres of your dad's pond it would take 4 or 5 windmills. One windmill will keep a small area ice free most of the winter. Cincinati does not have a lot of extensive ice cover all winter anyway. If you set the diffuser in the 20'-25' deep zone the wind speed will have to be pretty strong (8-12mph) to produce enough pressure to push air to the 23' depth. The promoted air production of windmills at 5mph wind speed is a very small volume of air that will only be pushed to about 7-9 ft deep not 20 ft deep. My windmill will be turing in a gentle breeze but not air comes out the diffuser set at 7.5ft deep until the wind speed increases to 5 or 6mph. There is a new windmill on the forefront that can produce 3cfm at higher pressures but it is still a few months from final production. The air production at lower wind speeds still needs additional development.

The most and best value for your money will be with an electric air compressor based aeration system that uses a 1/3 hp dual head rocking piston compressor to produce air of 15-20 psi to send ample air (3.5cfm) to 20+ft deep. Your other option is a 3/4 hp high pressure rotary vane compressor (8cfm). Do not expect one compressor and one diffuser to completely mix a 2.5 acre pond.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
D
OP Offline
D
Hey guys, thanks for the info. As far as electric at the pond, I think he has that covered (dock with enough power to run the welder while working on the dock, 3 antique cast light poles from down town Cincinnati around the lake, stereo and Sirrus sat radio on the dock, with lights, bug zapper, etc.)

By the way he is a retired-ish electrician.

I think you guys answered all the questions. The windmills look cool, but not enough power for that size of lake, and with the accessible electric, its cheeper and more efficient to use the electric air compressor.

Well Jethro, there is the info you asked me to find for you... See you next weekend.

1 Dock + Family + Bug zapper + BEER = good time
J
J
Hey every one , thanks for the info. We will probably pursue the electric option. There is a lot of this equipment available from Graingers with the exception of the air stones or membrane air diffusers. Any suggestions?
--------------------------------------
Nothing beats 7 grandkids jumping into the water. Jethro

Steve Rigling
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
I've done a little research on this and I believe the dual compressor Superior Turbo Jet Windmill is under rated here. It pushes out 3 CFM @ 30 psi, in a 9 MPH wind with dual diffusers, that's equal to a gast 1/3 HP electric motor isn't it ? When electric isn't an option, then you look at the cost savings over time from the windmill. Standing atop my dam facing south, there's always a 10-15 mph wind during the day. There are a lot of reasons to run an aerator other than trying to avoid a DO crash.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Jethro, graingers is a Gast dealer, but are very expensive. Contact Ted who frequents this site, I think Clean Ponds or some other Pond Boss advertiser. Graingers and othr gast dealers do not normally stock small oilless continuous duty compressors, and as I said are way overpriced. Look into the pond management websites for best system deals.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
This guy's still them pumps, pretty reasonable... Gast Rotary Vanes on the cheap...

In a lifetime, the average driver will honk 15,250 times. My wife figures I'm due to die any day now...

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Matt, that is some deal. I would definitely run 220vac for that deal. Those are $400 from pond management sites and $600 from Graingers. Even though they have probably been replaced with a newer number, are still basically the same pump.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
The Surplus Center pumps are 10 psi models which "safely" and efficiently push air to 18 ft deep. These particular models of O523 are the noisier models that have a pretty loud chatter. Later versions are much quieter running versions with a sound deadening front-end chamber.

The pond in question is 20-25 ft deep. You should have a higher pressure compressor model in this case so the unit is not overworked and prematurely needs rebuilding.

Dad has a pond - check with ForeverGreen (Ohio) in the Resource Guide on the Home page for high pressure pumps and good diffusers. Check Stoneycreekequip.com for high pressure (15psi to 30' deep) rotary vane compressor.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by FishinRod - 04/24/24 09:43 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM