Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BoomerTC35D, cjschuhmann, Teroni, EGS, Ben Davis
18,530 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,013
Posts558,510
Members18,530
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,605
ewest 21,512
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,159
Who's Online Now
5 members (Bill Cody, Fishingadventure, Bobbss, Dave Davidson1, Mainer), 1,256 guests, and 479 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Jeff, you need to invite some of us forum members to make unannounced visits to your property for a few days of vacation...with full hunting rights...what is the season and daily bag limit on trespassing thieves???

I for one would love to vacation in NorCal...;)

K
K
You are correct Dave. It appears that I suffer from premature ejection.

Two ponds, 13 and 15 acres on the Mattaponi River.
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Thieves hit me about 5 years ago.

Warning: Long post

My daughter, son in law, and 2 grandkids were spending a couple of days at my place. My place is at the end of a private road and somewhere around 200 yards from the county road.

My daughter called in the morning and told me that a 4 wheeler was missing. They had ridden them the day before and it was stolen overnight. I drove the 70 miles up there and called the County Sheriffs office. They came out and filled out paperwork.

I got on the other bike to find out where they had gone on the place and how they got out since we always keep the front gate locked overnight. That's when I found out that my 16 ft tandem axle trailer was also missing. The guy had evidently pushed the bike a hundred yards and then started it, rode it about 300 yards to the trailer and pulled the trailer off of my place, through a couple of other places and exited onto the highway.

The trailer was insured but I found out that, although my State Farm Agent had told me that the bike was covered by my homeowners policy, it really wasn't.

I felt violated and got mad. I figure that 99.9% of theft involves drugs and druggies and that they thief would sell them. I also figured that the thief wouldn't be able to keep his mouth shut. As the old saying goes, there's no honor among thieves.

I called the Sheriffs Office and discussed a plan that they agreed to. I ran an ad in the local/free shopper newspaper offering a $500 reward for info leading to the arrest of the thieves and the return of the bike and trailer. On the advice of the Sheriffs Office I did not disclose the size of the trailer or specific information make or color of the bike.

The calls started coming in. The first 3 or 4 were scams agreeing to meet me somewhere with the trailer and/or bike and to bring the $. I wasn't born yesterday and told them to call the Chief Deputy at the Sheriffs Office. As expected, they were reluctant to do that. Then, the right call came in. Even now, I can't or won't, identify the caller due to the danger involved to them. The caller, another druggie, did call the Sheriff and identified the thief but had to do some digging to find out where my stuff was.

The thief was arrested but got bailed out within a week. He is a 40 something druggie and career criminal. To the best of my knowledge, he was never sent to the pen but was made to pay a fine to the county. It's called restitution and the $ goes to the county.

The bike had been traded to a wrecking yard in Randlett Oklahoma. A CID Sergeant from the Texas Dept of Public Safety called his counterparts in Oklahoma and got the ok to go across the state line and get the bike. Then the snitch found out who the thief had traded the trailer to. It had actually been sold twice and I had to go to JP Court and prove it was mine.

The bike had a ruined tire and the trailer had a burnt place on one of the floor boards. All in all, it cost me about $1,000 for the thief to drop by. But, I did get my stuff back.

Lessons learned. I now keep all of my trailers locked at the ball and a cable around the axle. The bike keys are removed even during the day when we know we will be riding them again that day. The bikes are also now insured but not by State Farm. I use Texas Farm Bureau for all of my equipment and mobile home. Since they are stolen so frequently, the insurance premiums are pretty high.

It's depressing to know that my stuff is vulnerable and I thought of just selling the place and all of the "stuff". But the County Sheriff says it is unlikely that I will be hit again. They figure that every druggie for 4 Counties around know who I am and that I will put a bounty on their butt. I doubt that is true and figure, like all non resident landowners, that I will get hit again.

I ran another ad in the local shopper thanking the Sheriffs office and TDPS for the successful return of my stuff and the arrest of the thief.

About 2 months after the incident I was at the local county trades day. A local friend pointed out the thief to me. I went over and identified myself to him. When I gave him my name he started protesting his innocence. You would have thought that I had told him I was the Outlaw Josey Wales. I told him that if my place was hit again I would figure he had something to do with it and that the next reward would be $10,000 and I wouldn't care whether I got my stuff back. A couple of days later the Sheriff called me and said that the guy had called them and said that I had threatened his life. However, he said that the guy was a known thief and liar so they weren't worried about it. He also said if the guy was reported missing that they wouldn't spend much time investigating.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 12/05/12 07:16 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Good story Guv, glad you nailed that loser......

Just do it...
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Not near that long.

Learning to shoot a pistol correctly takes more concentration than almost anything I've ever done. Try to move only the last joint of your pointer/trigger finger. You'll see what I mean.

Dave, you need to do that with a rifle too.....

Just finished reading the long post. That't the way to do it. I believe that once they figure out that you aren't someone to be messed with, then word gets around and they find someone easier to mess with.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
Lunker
I didn't read all the posts so I don't know if this was suggested or not. There are driveway alert systems that are reasonable and wireless. You could put the sensor/transmitter somewhere inconspicuous (outside) near your buildings and the receiver at your neighbors. Some transmitters have a range of 2,500'. If someone breaks the beam an alarm sounds on the receiver. Some units can handle 4 sensors. An intruder might not notice this as much as a security camera. http://www.drivewayalert.com/

Here's another company that has other wireless driveway alarm options (IR, photo beam, magnetic sensors for cars/ATV's only not people/animals etc.). Check out the accessories section for special sensors or phone dialers (the receiver can call you automatically instead of your neighbor). http://www.reliablechimes.net/index.php

Just another idea.

Last edited by loretta; 12/09/12 06:38 PM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by Bill Cody - 05/15/24 08:54 PM
Happy Birthday Bob-O
by Dave Davidson1 - 05/15/24 08:25 PM
Optimal vs. Purina
by Theo Gallus - 05/15/24 04:47 PM
Repairing Dam with Culvert?
by jludwig - 05/15/24 12:21 PM
Pest Control around Pond
by Ortantyun - 05/15/24 11:22 AM
Building a sprayer for 10 acre farm pond