Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,011
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
13 members (John Folchetti, Sunil, Lake8, JoshMI, LeighAnn, FishinRod, Jason D, canyoncreek, Drago, Boondoggle, highflyer, Shorthose, anthropic), 1,238 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 17 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 16 17
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Greg Grimes
Schyuler county hit bad as well. KS also has had major issues. My farm in KY is the best ever and only two decent bucks on camera for soem reason so Im blaming EHD.

Greg,

Where did you see that Schuyler county was hit bad? Living there I haven't seen any dead deer on my property but know of about 8 in the neighborhood that appeared to be victim of it. None of these where big bucks. But on the NW side of the county I know of a 176 Gross buck that was very sick and killed in youth season. My neighbor shot a 173 Gross score buck opening morning of gun so atleast one big buck was left in the neighborhood.

I do have a fear that some of the big bucks in the neighborhood have died from it since I have good trail camera pics in August and only seen one of them in September. Have spent parts of 25 days in the stand and haven't seen any of the big bucks that lived in the neighborhood. Yet I have seen plenty of 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 year old bucks while hunting just not what I want to shoot.

Last edited by lassig; 11/20/12 07:37 AM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ken,
Since it got warm, we all took off work yesterday and got them all done by 4:45 pm. We have a #22 LEM grinder which works AWESOME and we do all our own taxidermy so we got the bucks all prepped and ready for mounting.... Justin does about 10 bucks every winter...

Also when you have 8 people all helping it makes the job alot more fun and doable....

George, your pic rocks...you were a stud....

Lunker
Lunker
Nate

Hard to see in the pic but how big where the bucks? On the taxidermy are these shoulder mounts, euros, or a combination.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Well after basically an all night track we found him.. 19 points

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Congrats, it had to be both a relieve and an exciting moment when you found him.

AL

n8ly #312573 11/20/12 10:08 AM
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: n8ly

Wadda 'ya mean WUZ? grin
cry
It's all in my memory bank - savor those memories Nate - they will come in handy some day... smile

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
From the biologists I have talked to it sounds like this is going to be a bad year for BT in many parts of the US. Watch for sloughing hooves as a possible early indication of a hemorrhagic disease that could either epizootic hemorrhagic disease (EHD) or blue tongue (BT).

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Nice Buck!!!

bluegillerkiller that's a beaut - split G3, good mass, all you could ask for. Very nice!

Dale

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Real nice buck.

Aw, come on George, you know that those memory banks don't hold all of the info they used to.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
V
Fingerling
Fingerling
V
BGK, that is a super buck!

Peak rut is definitely gone here and I'm about worn out, but it seems every year some big boys are taken in late November too.

I appreciate everyone sharing their successes 'cause it helps keep my son and I psyched up and in the stand where we need to be!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Thanks guys it was the toughest season to date,, Rut was early or was it late I have no idea but it was weak either way.. Next year I'm concentrating more on patterning and less on rut because I think the chasing games and wondering bucks are gonna be slow unless we get back to cold novembers..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: lassig
Nate

Hard to see in the pic but how big where the bucks? On the taxidermy are these shoulder mounts, euros, or a combination.

The bucks were just average 115-130 inchers. We shoulder mount every buck we shoot. Justin is very good at taxidermy, I sent him to taxidermy school 3-4 years ago cause there will come a day when we will be mounting lots more deer with all the kids we got coming up to start hunting.....

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: george1
Originally Posted By: n8ly

Wadda 'ya mean WUZ? grin
cry
It's all in my memory bank - savor those memories Nate - they will come in handy some day... smile

Yep, was a stud, now your an old buck....I started a fishing blog which is more of a diary back in 2008. Nates Fishing Blog Basically been documenting pictures and such weekly since then...Now I just need to back up those files or maybe print off the whole thing to make sure its around as long as I am or even longer.....

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
BGK,

Your buck rocks!!! but your pictures are terrible....Also its crazy to think how warm the last two novembers have been....with such a mild winter last year most predicted there would be more big bucks than ever, then the drought this summer and EHD wiped out the big boys in many Illinois counties...

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Yeah I know the pictures sucked.. My phone died over the course of the night and actually had my buddies girlfriend take the pics and send me them..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Great deer guys! Just got back from Northern Wi. Nothing to speak of. We thought it was going to be good, seeing 3 bucks and 9 does when scouting on Friday, but I was the only to see brown hair out of 4 guys and that was at 2:15 p.m. on Monday. I gave her to 2 of my buddies that haven't shot a deer in a few years. Found 3 tufts of white belly hair Sat. on a trail that we walked Friday, and heard a large pack of 'yotes on Sat. Figure the 'yotes ran the deer off. Illegal to hunt 'yotes during deer season in Wi.....

Anyway, back home, going to work on the house next 2 days while it's warm out, then go chase some Indiana deer.

Nate, did that big boy ever show up during the first 3 days of shotgun season? Nice bunch of deer there.

Greg and BGK, good shooting!!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Got a phone call last night that FCM67693's daughter dropped a 156" or so buck towards the back of their property while they were hunting from the ground. 15 yd shot. I have a not great pic of it, but they are out taking pictures this morning. I'll get him to tell us about it and post pics later today.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Well, sorry guys. It wasn't as big as I thought.

It was 154 1/8"!!!! 200 lbs even dressed weight.

We hunted from the ground and she shot him at 15 yards with a 50cal TC Bone Collector muzzleloader. Stars aligned and he came in directly upwind. Walked right at us.

This was not only her first buck ever, but it was her first deer ever. I still can't believe how it all happened.

Well, here is the star of the show..........

Mikey

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Wow, beautiful buck and beautiful lady. Love to see the girls taking em' down right beside the guys. Great job !!!!

esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Mike, is she practicing for the NASCAR winners circle with the "new hat in every picture" look?

Lets see, she can outshoot you on the skeet field, now she whacks a bigger buck than you did...... wink grin

www.hoosierpondpros.com

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
My niece was legal to hunt this year.

She got a doe this morning. Very happy!

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Youth and ladies are the future of our sport!

Yes Scott, she does outshoot me. I am her hunting mentor, skeet instuctor and overall life coach. All I have to say is that she is a VERY good student.

As far as the hats go, yes, I plan to send that pic to as many sponsors as we can. Hopefully, she will make her first million by the end of next week wink

Mikey

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Airborne,

Thanks for the kind words. My daughter is sitting here reading this with me and she is blushing.

She is a great kid and has huge goals. She'll probably achieve them all!

Mikey

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Seeing more and more bears on game camera over the last few years and then seeing a nice bear during archery season a couple weeks ago. I was excited for bear season this year. My father is friends with some Mennonites who are very good bear hunters. We invited them down to hunt the last day of bear season with us.

Instead of sitting in a treestand waiting for the bears to come to us. We came to the bears! There were 25 of us, the largest legal group of hunters you can have for bear season. We set up 8 standers, 7 blockers and 10 drivers and pushed both sides of the mountain our land is on. In the end we pushed out over 50 deer including several very nice bucks so that is encouraging for next week when deer season starts. We also pushed out 3 bears and killed two of them. The guy just up from me shot one when I was a stander.

Although I didn't get to shoot one, it was a gorgeous fall day and a blast working with 24 other guys stopping through the thickest clear cuts of briars, saplings, raspberries over some of the steepest terrain in PA. It was a butt whooping but getting a crack at a couple black bears made it all worth it! There are still plenty of bears left on that mountain and we're gonna make this an annual tradition.

Here I am with the 250 lb black bear

And here is most of the group of hunters with him

Page 11 of 17 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
Inland Silver sided shiner
by canyoncreek - 04/29/24 09:19 AM
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by FishinRod - 04/29/24 09:14 AM
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder