Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
7 members (Rick O, Willowwood, Augie, Shorthose, KenHorton, Theo Gallus, rjackson), 1,036 guests, and 172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Here I am, again using my Android phone to access Pond Boss.

We have been without DSL since Hurricane Sandy went through well over a week ago. Although we had minimal effects from the Hurricane/Tropical Storm, it took out our DSL Internet. Last year when we had a major snowstorm for Halloween, we were without DSL for an entire month.

I'm told by the tech support people that it is known as "common cause" -- meaning it is affecting thousands, but they don't know why. And, they don't have any idea when we'll get our service back.

When our DSL does work, I pay $50/month for "up to" 3 Mbps download speed, but typically get about 0.6 Mpbs. If I opt for the lower rate, at $40/month, they say it will be even slower. They tell me that is just the way it is! Take it or leave it. They are the only game in town (actually, most of the state of WV). They unfortunately may be right. I can't seem to find a reasonable alternative.

However, even if I go to their speed test website with my AT&T Android cellphone, it shows consistent Internet download speeds of just over 5 Mbps. For another $25 a month per phone, I could use either of our two phones as WI-FI hotspots. Anybody doing this?

I'm sure that if I added up the costs for our wired telephone with DSL Internet, our "bundled" satellite TV service, and our two cell phones with Internet -- I'd probably need CPR.

I figure a lot of Pond Boss members are in remote locations. What are you doing for Internet?

Thanks,
Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Broadband through Verizon MiFi. No 4G yet, but 3G seems plenty fast enough.

Oh... $49.95 per month for 5 gig

Last edited by sprkplug; 11/14/12 04:37 PM. Reason: added cost

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I know a couple guys at working are using it through AT&T with great success unfortunately I don't know any details for ya..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
We use a Verizon 4G hot spot as our sole Internet connection for business and personal.. It is expensive but very fast and reliable. DSL isn't is even a choice where we live. Wireless and satellite are the other options and they are either too slow, expensive, unreliable or a combination of the three.

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
I am not very tech savy...but my brother and I use I-pads out on our property for internet with pretty good results. We have a "data plan" from AT&T for our I-pads. I think it is like $35-45 a month. It's a good option for us right now since we don't have a house on our property yet. As you can see below the I-Pad has a pretty decent size screen when we are out sitting by our pond.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I have a 40" Sony Google TV that works off the internet. I can read your post from across the room (about 20ft). A bit bigger than a mobile device tho. As long as you get a decent signal, it works well.

Poor picture:

Last edited by JKB; 11/14/12 05:39 PM.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Hey Zep, why in the dickens do you want internet when you leave town? I go there to get away from it all.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
I guess one big screen is ok..............

Bremer Pond Weather
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
I apologize for the Pelosi on the TV. It just happened to be there when I took the photo. blush

Bremer Pond Weather
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I have a US Cellular Legacy plan that has unlimited 3G data, yet I get called that I am nearing my usage limit and the next day my speed gets severely reduced...another call and they take the restrictions off...a real PITA but the "new" plans would have me paying nearly twice as much as now...it's just a game for them in hopes I'll cave and either take a new plan, or use another carrier since I cost them money now...

Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
The average Internet speed in Japan is around 60mbps. In the US it is around 5mbps. The cost per 1mbps in Japan is $.27 In the US it is around $ 3.30 per 1mbps.

Bremer Pond Weather
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
At one time I had a land line at my place. The cost was about $6.00 for 25 calls per month which we seldom even used. However, after taxes and fees it came to about $27.00.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
L
L
Same problem here with DSL. Since we have a land-line phone as well as cell phones, we may as well. Our DSL service is very poor, and have considered moving to a data plan on the cell service, but my GOD they are awful price-wise if you use Netflix and go over your data limit.

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: liquidsquid
Same problem here with DSL. Since we have a land-line phone as well as cell phones, we may as well. Our DSL service is very poor, and have considered moving to a data plan on the cell service, but my GOD they are awful price-wise if you use Netflix and go over your data limit.

You just dont go over, which means you don't stream any video and watch your usage like a hawk. It will get better for speed once LTE is deployed more. I am working with many rural carriers on deploying LTE and Verizon is suppose to be completely cover by the end of 2013. I worked with USCC this summer and deployed LTE to the area where I live, but they have not turned the service on yet, I cannot wait, bye bye Verizon, hello USCC. Unfortunately the majority of the country will not be covered and the only way rural internet is going to be comparable to metro internet (cost, speed, etc) is with government intervention. It pains me to say this but without universal internet mandate the rural users is going to be at a disadvantage to the metro users. Either from a speed or quota limit or both. Just like electricity and telephone if you want it for everyone somehow the cost have to get covered.

T
T
Catmandoo my home is in a geographical oddity for internet service. No land line or cable available without forking our some major cash. I think it was like 13K estimate in 2009 to run cable & over 3K to run a land line. Cell phones will even drop calls from time to time in my house (from the only 2 services that even work ATT & Verizon).I have used ATT and then switched to Verizon 4g hotspot which works better in my area (only get weak 3G at home). ATT was slower than the Verizon in my situation. While it works I still am not over joyed with internet at home. I have been thinking about trying the Dish Satellite internet. Good news is I only live 6 miles from a WALMART & Lowes LOL.

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Tums
Catmandoo my home is in a geographical oddity for internet service. No land line or cable available without forking our some major cash. I think it was like 13K estimate in 2009 to run cable & over 3K to run a land line. Cell phones will even drop calls from time to time in my house (from the only 2 services that even work ATT & Verizon).I have used ATT and then switched to Verizon 4g hotspot which works better in my area (only get weak 3G at home). ATT was slower than the Verizon in my situation. While it works I still am not over joyed with internet at home. I have been thinking about trying the Dish Satellite internet. Good news is I only live 6 miles from a WALMART & Lowes LOL.

Don't do it, Satellite is a last resort and bearly better than dialup. It is not a broadband service by any stretch and you will have the same quota limits that you have with the cellular providers. Neither of which I think are truly broadband, but that comes down to a pricing/Quota issue.

Lunker
Lunker
Yep, I heard that Satellite is not the way to go. Good topic, I have a similar situation here, poor Broadband service with slow speeds, no cable available. Years ago when I first got broadband the service seemed much better. Now, my once grandfathered unlimited service has been changed to 4 gigs by Sprint (they can do that). I too notice that when I'm getting close to my quota that my speeds are drastically reduced. I don't know how this is possible but I do experience it, coincidence?

I've complained numerous times to Sprint about dropped connections and dial up speeds that I now have with my broadband and I was told it's caused by "internet overload". If there are so many people using broadband that it degrades the service then they shouldn't be charging so much. $50/ month is too much money for dial up speeds IMO. Why does internet cost so much??? I don't understand this.

The last governor we had wanted to bring high speed internet to everyone in the state including rural residents. She believed it was vital for growth and competition but unfortunately it never happened. I'm sure she was probably right and hearing how much further Japan is than us in this regard is scary. Everyone wants affordable high speed internet service and wouldn't a plan to provide that produce jobs???

Back to the original question, I've been considering making my mobile phone into a hotspot, the monthly cost is about the same for me but I haven't taken the plunge yet. I need to check the download/upload speeds on my phone to see if there really is a significant difference, my iPhone seems much faster. I was told that constant use of your phone in this manner will wear it out much faster. Is this true? I suppose you can't use the phone while the hotspot is on, is this correct?

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: loretta
Yep, I heard that Satellite is not the way to go. Good topic, I have a similar situation here, poor Broadband service with slow speeds, no cable available. Years ago when I first got broadband the service seemed much better. Now, my once grandfathered unlimited service has been changed to 4 gigs by Sprint (they can do that). I too notice that when I'm getting close to my quota that my speeds are drastically reduced. I don't know how this is possible but I do experience it, coincidence?

I've complained numerous times to Sprint about dropped connections and dial up speeds that I now have with my broadband and I was told it's caused by "internet overload". If there are so many people using broadband that it degrades the service then they shouldn't be charging so much. $50/ month is too much money for dial up speeds IMO. Why does internet cost so much??? I don't understand this.

The last governor we had wanted to bring high speed internet to everyone in the state including rural residents. She believed it was vital for growth and competition but unfortunately it never happened. I'm sure she was probably right and hearing how much further Japan is than us in this regard is scary. Everyone wants affordable high speed internet service and wouldn't a plan to provide that produce jobs???

Back to the original question, I've been considering making my mobile phone into a hotspot, the monthly cost is about the same for me but I haven't taken the plunge yet. I need to check the download/upload speeds on my phone to see if there really is a significant difference, my iPhone seems much faster. I was told that constant use of your phone in this manner will wear it out much faster. Is this true? I suppose you can't use the phone while the hotspot is on, is this correct?

Satellite is not the way to go, especially in Michigan. Cloud cover and all..., plus it's been way over sold eek

I get really decent stuff from my at&t 4g, must be LTE, because out in the boonies, it works quite well.

Glad the Mole is gone! Economic destruction, was what she ate for breakfast!!! eek eek eek

Lunker
Lunker
Loretta,

Answers to your questions

Yes they can reduce your speed once a predetermine quota has been reached. Without going into details there is equipment in the network that monitors that quotas and can reduce the speed that you receive. They charge so much because they can, but in all honesty the costs for them are fairly high. Japan has a lot more Government assistance in making this happen and doesn't really have rural areas like the us.
Turning on the mobile hotspot functionality in the phone will not shorten its life, it will run the battery out faster and shorten the battery life.

JKB,

Lasted I check you where not on LTE with AT&T in Michigan, you need to be careful because the term 4G gets overused. 4G in my mind is LTE and that was the initial industry's intent. T-Mobile and AT&T are stretching the term by claiming the upgrades to their 3G UMTS networks get them into the lower end of the speeds that LTE supports, therefore they are 4G.

T
T
Thanks to all for the heads up on the Satellite internet. I guees I will have to make do with verizon. Verizon is supposed to be building a new 275' cell tower about 4 miles from me soon. Hopefully I will see improved reception and service (aka 4G) when it comes on line.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: lassig
Loretta,

Answers to your questions

Yes they can reduce your speed once a predetermine quota has been reached. Without going into details there is equipment in the network that monitors that quotas and can reduce the speed that you receive. They charge so much because they can, but in all honesty the costs for them are fairly high. Japan has a lot more Government assistance in making this happen and doesn't really have rural areas like the us.
Turning on the mobile hotspot functionality in the phone will not shorten its life, it will run the battery out faster and shorten the battery life.

JKB,

Lasted I check you where not on LTE with AT&T in Michigan, you need to be careful because the term 4G gets overused. 4G in my mind is LTE and that was the initial industry's intent. T-Mobile and AT&T are stretching the term by claiming the upgrades to their 3G UMTS networks get them into the lower end of the speeds that LTE supports, therefore they are 4G.

Something hspda+.

4G, which I know the terms are funky, is supposed to be about 3mbps. I'll get up to about 10mbps on my at&t mobile.

I have cable at home at 30+.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thanks all.

I'm not exactly sure which way I'm going to go. But, I've got to do something.

The comments have been extremely helpful.

We own a house about 15 miles from here, but on the Virginia side of the border. The download speed there was over 25 Mbps all day today, with an upload speed of about 15 Mbps.

Before I left our home residence this morning, and when I got home tonight, our download speed was still at around 0.15 Mbps. Our upload speed was about 0.01 Mbps. The prices for Internet service at both places is about the same -- about $50/month.

Unfortunately, I can't get our Virginia service here in WV.

I guess my wife and I are both headed into our Virginia house again in the morning to get some work done.

An AT&T hotspot "extra line" phone is looking better and better. Ten dollars for the "extra line" plus $50 for 5 GB/month download. I figure we use about 2 GB/month. We don't do movies, etc.

Again tonight, my AT&T Android cell phone is still at about 5.3 Mbps download speed. Virtually no DSL via landline.

Thanks again,
Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
L
L
I'm sure it is expensive and not going to chance since Cell carriers likely lobby the govt to keep it the same. They would stand to loose a lot if there was a broadband mandate.

We have another service called "Clearwire" near us, which would be great... if we could see the signal. Blocked by a hill :-(.

Lunker
Lunker
JKB,

Exactly (hspda+), But LTE will do much better than that. But again signal strength, backhaul infrastructure, and policies (artificial limits on upload and download speeds) all play into what you will actually get.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: lassig
JKB,

Exactly (hspda+), But LTE will do much better than that. But again signal strength, backhaul infrastructure, and policies (artificial limits on upload and download speeds) all play into what you will actually get.

I use to keep track of all that stuff, but discovered I don't have as many functional brain cells as I once had laugh

As long as it works well, they can call it whatever they want. It is a waiting game out in the boonies tho.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...