Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
3 members (Layne, Angler8689, anthropic), 616 guests, and 135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#3112 09/28/03 01:03 AM
S
OP Offline
S
I built a pond on my father in laws farm about a year ago. The pond was constructed in a draw and dosent have much run off water. The pond is located in Ames, Oklahoma and the soil is very sandy. The pond fills to a certain level then leaks down about a foot a day. The pond is about 10-15 feet from being filled to the top. The pond is about 12 feet deep at this point. The contracter keeps telling me not to worry that the pond needs to silt in and then it will quit leaking. I have a irrigation motor that I use to fill the pond.But it always drains down to that certain level. I think it might be draing out the sides. Any thoughts on sealing this pond would be appriciated. I must cofess I went into this project unprepared and did not do my home work. I should have had the soil checked but I wanted a fishing hole. 9 thousand dollars latter I have a pond that wont fill all the way. I have considered placing beonite from the current water level to where the top level of water should be then fill the pond with water?Any suggestions would be appriciated Thanks Glenn Oister

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Sounds like you have a strata or seam of sand at the 12 ft. level. Bentonite is iffy at best and you might not be able to till it into the soil sufficiently, on the side of the bank(s), to stop a leak. I think I would look into getting a liner. The contractor should have known to stop when he hit sand and deliver the bad news instead of keeping on digging. Had he stopped when he hit sand, you could have tried bentonite at that level. Anytime you hit sand, the project is over.

S
OP Offline
S
Actually the whole area we built the pond on is very sandy. He dug down until we hit clay then worked the clay into the sides and damm. When you suggest a liner do you mean a linner for the whole pond or jut the sides? I assume you mean for the whole pond and that would mean draining the pond the placing the linner in the pond. Also how much would a linner cost on about a one acre pond? thanks for your help Glenn

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Glenn, I don't know the price. Take a look at some other posts regarding liners and E-mail the ones that use them. I know it ain't cheap.

I
I
pond liner for the 1 acre pond won't be super cheap. but, find the price, then figure out what it would cost if you took a 3 year loan and payed for it monthly. then think about how it will be an investment...something that will last forever and your kids will enjoy. then compare it to some of the things you buy a month for that price and compare the importance of it. i think you will realize in the long run, doing it right, especially since you almost have to in your situation, will be the best way. keep sinkin money and will disappear as long as it is sand. sand wond sink up and settle, you simply have sand. if the liner is unreasonable, see how many loads of clay it would take to do it. there is the expensive road qrade quality clany than what is called "gumbo" clay for about 23 dollars per dump truck load cheaper than the prime clay. good luck mark

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Sgt Glenn,
Check out this site: [info@seepagecontrol.com]
Ric

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
S
OP Offline
S
Guys thanks for all your help and advice. There does not seem to e an easy or inexpensive solution to the problem. I spoke to man about a liner and he said he would sell me a pvc liner but said they dont last much more than 5 years. That seem like a lot of trouble to drain the pond install a liner for only 5 years. I called about es-13 and the man said it would run me about 8-11 thousand dollars (ouch) That is a bit rich for my blood. I think I might just try to dig down and put a layer of benonite clay down then put dirt on top of it and see if that works. Well anyway thanks for your advice Glenn

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??