Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,119
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
5 members (Shorthose, Fishingadventure, Boondoggle, RogersTailgate, jpsdad), 858 guests, and 175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
That is nice, my daughter wants to try her hand at it this year, but do not have a gun that fits her and really do not want to buy one that she may only use once if she does not care to go.

My mother-in-law 223 may shrink down enough for her to shoot just have to get the scope on and site it in before riffle season starts.

If nothing else I can at least put her in the stand with me in hopes for daddy to take one out.

I need to get some pics posted of bucks taken by friends and family this weekend as I have not had a chance at one yet, but did get a doe on Sunday so have some meat in the freezer.

Attached Images
deer1.JPG deer2.JPG deer3.JPG
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Nothing wrong with 22 calibers. Three bucks and one doe were taken last year on my place with a .222. One buck got taken last weekend with the triple deuce. The trick is shot placement and to keep shots under 150 yds.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I think i got windburned on my eyeballs sitting in te stand this morning.. Sucked didn't see a thing..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
With a .22 cal centerfire, you also need to pay attention to bullet construction. Many bullets are designed for varmints, they go in a couple of inches and self destruct. You're better with a monolithic bullet like a 55-70 grain Barnes TSX (depending on rate of twist in the barrel).

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I reload so don't have a problem with bullets. It might take a little research to buy an off the shelf hunting cartridge.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
100g 2 blade HyperShock exit. 125# doe @ 20 Yds.

She took off at a dead run and I found her about 50 yds away.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
What bow?

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I weighed mine also since my wife swore it was 200 lbs (after she helped me drag it in). It only weighed 165 lbs. Saw a button and a doe last night but have not seen or got a picture of a big one yet. We still have a couple hundred acres of corn in within 1/4 mile. I hope that they get it out next week!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Haven't seen a big one yet? 165 pounds is my all time big Texas buck.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Beautiful morning here in west central Illinois.. Seen the giant last night unfortunately had about 5-10 coyotes move in and start yappin instantly killed my night, came back this morning already spotted a yote 150 yards away hopefully they stay clear and something is strolling through..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

Lunker
Lunker
Need to remove a few of those yotes, have caller will travel. Didn't see anything last night going to get serious starting this afternoon since I am off work till the 12th.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
These things never get within 50 yrds of the stand and there usually on the run hopefully a few will get lead poisoning this gun season

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Bring a call to the stand with you and call them in. Even a lip squeak might work at that distance, depending on the wind noise. I lip squeaked one in last Spring from about 100 Yds when turkey hunting, but it was dead calm. It made it until 20 yds away when a 2 oz load of #6's rearranged it's muzzle.

Dave:

Barnett Revolution. Broadhead supposedly has 2" cut. Arrow weight is right around 435g, and now I only have 3 left. I have weighted inserts that I can put in the new ones to up the weight forward and make them heavier, hopefully that will quiet the crossbow down a bit. Right now I have to have the varizone scope set on 350 fps for it to work the way it should.

At the shot, I saw the red streak from the lighted nock, but after it went thru the deer it just disappeared. I looked last night but couldn't find it. The ground is pretty soft, and I think it disappeared into the ground. You're supposed to unload the bow after every hunt, so I have an arrow that is set up with a field point that I shoot into my bag target when I get home. (can't uncock it manually)

I made the mistake of shooting it into the ground the first time I was out hunting and even digging into the ground 8" I couldn't feel the end of the arrow. That was the first one out of the dozen that I lost. Lesson learned......

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Can you shoot Rage 2 blades out of a crossbow? I might have to try the call idea AFTER I KILL THIS HUGE BUCK smile

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Yep, I tried them last year but they don't fly the same as the field points, no matter what I did. I thought about using them anyway, but the target takes a beating from shooting broadheads into it, plus they are a real PITA to remove! They are more susceptible to having the blades open when moving around too. A buddy shoots them and has to keep an eye on his.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Did you use the range broadheads? I push mine through and unscrew them then pull the arrow out.

The broadhead you shoot is a non-expandable 2" wow.. And why do you want so much weight on your arrows 435 grain just curious? What's your advertised FPS on that bow?

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Nice work Scott. Hunted first time since killing Wally sept 14. Great am hunt before 945 saw 13 7 bucks. Big one stayed in thicker and passed a nice pretty 8. Hope this pm gets good in about thirty mins. GL to all. BGK ground check him.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ground check?

Going on 11th hour in stand a$$ is killing me.. Only seen 3 deer so far 1/4 mile away.. Please let something come out here in the next 20 mins smile

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Bluegillerkiller
Ground check?

Going on 11th hour in stand a$$ is killing me.. Only seen 3 deer so far 1/4 mile away.. Please let something come out here in the next 20 mins smile

Quit moving around and playing on your phone wink

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Had one 6 pointer come through.

Atleast on my phone I can watch live hunts on Midwest whitetail counting those I seen quite a few monster bucks today lol.. Phones not the bad thing in the deerstand it's my laptop Jk smile

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bluegillerkiller
Did you use the range broadheads? I push mine through and unscrew them then pull the arrow out.

The broadhead you shoot is a non-expandable 2" wow.. And why do you want so much weight on your arrows 435 grain just curious? What's your advertised FPS on that bow?

I tried the Rage Broadheads. Can't push them thru the target, it's a bag target that is about 20" thick. I tried using a "block" style foam target, but when the arrow gets buried in the target to the fletching, there ain't much to grab to pull out, and it seems that the foam welds itself to the shaft. I had to wait until the target got cold enough to freeze that I was able to remove the one arrow. I switched to a bag target from http://www.archerytargets.com/BGTargets.aspx and is very similar to the FPS300 target. I can shoot it from 5 feet away and still remove the arrow with 2 fingers, something I can't do with a compressed foam target. It only goes in the target 8"-10" even from that close of a distance.

No, the broadheads that I use are expandable. They are called HyperShock made by Aftershock Archery. http://www.aftershockbroadheads.com/products/3.aspx The 100g 1.99" cut is what I'm using. The blades don't open until 90% of the head is past the skin.

Barnett recommends a 450g minimum arrow weight. I had to go to a brass insert for the broadhead after I switched from regular nocks to the lit ones, either Burt Coyote or a different mfg. I couldn't just swap out the nocks because the group size went from 1" to over 6" with the weight of the illuminated nocks. If I swapped the nock back to a non-illuminated one, the group size went back to normal.

I bought the Rage in 125g to see if by bumping up the weight of the head would give me enough WF to allow me to use the lit nocks. It didn't.

The new arrows that I bought, I bought with carbide weight inserts that are screwed into the back (nock side) of the insert. I bought them in (IIRC) 25g and 50g increments to see how well each weight does on quieting down the crossbow. I put the Limbsaver X-bow quieting package on it, and also filled the hollow stock with expanding foam. That helped the most (the foam). But a heavier arrow is supposed to take out some of the noise too.

The advertised FPS is 320. When I break out the chronograph I'll run some thru and see how the weight changes the FPS.

For the heck of it, I moved the target from 50 to 60 yds just to see what the drop was. The arrow dropped another 16" in just those 10 yds. Even tho I can group right around 1" at 50 yds if there isn't any wind, the furthest that I've shot a deer has been 32 yds. Most are in the 15-25 yd range. The Vari-Zone scope has aiming points for 10,20,30,40 and 50 yds. Zero the scope at 20 yds, check the point of impact at 50. If the arrow hits high, move the fps ring on the scope to a faster fps until the arrow is hitting where you are aiming. It doesn't change the 20 yd point of impact.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Scott, I thought that XBows were accurate and effective at further than 50 yards.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
You can make your own lighted nocks out of lighted bobber lights. I made some when i use to shoot lighted but I haven't shot them in a coulple years.. YouTube it there alot nicer than the store ones too they click on and off..

Also I was talking about the Rage "range" heads for targets.. Honestly I just use field points for practice and I'm always within an inch or so on my shots..

My bows suppose to shoot something like 320 but I chrono'd it and it was always mid 290's I don't believe advertised fps it's a rip..

Last edited by Bluegillerkiller; 11/01/12 09:11 PM.

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
I have a Barnett Predator. It supposedly shoots 375 FPS. I shoot the Rage 2 blades and havent had any problems. I shoot the practive broad head that they send with it at a cheap bag from wally world and they come out pretty easy. I also discharge after every hunt into this bag at only 10 ft away and have no problems pulling the bolt out. I shot a doe Sunday night directly under my stand and it blew a hole so big that I think I could have set a pepsi can in it. I wish I had a pic to show. Anyhow, thats just my 2 cents.

esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Scott, I thought that XBows were accurate and effective at further than 50 yards.

Dave, they are accurate, but they really start dropping, and unless you've shot them a lot in the wind, you don't know what the wind will do to the arrow. You'd also have to do a lot of shooting to get them tuned in with a non-mechanical head. The mechanical heads take some kenetic energy away from the arrow to open. The cut-on-contacts don't, so they're better for longer shots, or bows with less speed.

The new compound bows surpass the crossbows for speed and accuracy in a good shooters hands. I can't shoot one offhand for nothing - if it's not on a rest I'm not shooting the x-bow. It's a different story with a rifle or a shotgun, those I can shoot offhand.

They are MUCH noisier than the vertical compound bows too. With the technology and research that has been done lately, I think the newest vertical compound bows are better than an x-bow. For sure they are a LOT quieter! For someone that can't or won't take the time to shoot on a weekly basis, the crossbow is a better hunting tool for them.

Heck, I shoot my rifles and shotguns 100's of times more than I would shoot a bow during the year.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 05:43 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images