Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96, flowindustrial
18,482 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,786
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,140
Who's Online Now
8 members (Bucyrus22B, Rangersedge, JPierson, MidwestCass, catscratch, Boondoggle, esshup, Theeck), 1,033 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
That makes total sense, but given my luck, I might miscalculate 2ppt by a factor of ten....or one hundred.

So 225 gallons would equal how much kosher salt?

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello
That makes total sense, but given my luck, I might miscalculate 2ppt by a factor of ten....or one hundred.

So 225 gallons would equal how much kosher salt?

See if this link works.

Salt

Better for reference, and you'll have a copy.

It may sound like a lot of salt, but it is only initial. And you'll only do gradual additions.

None of the other links work that I wanted to put up.

Some use salt, and others don't. Each have their own success.

Last edited by JKB; 11/05/12 12:46 AM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Bruce:

Here's my idea on water heating. Buy a whole house instant water heater that runs on natural gas or propane. There's a thermostat in the unit that will allow you to adjust the water temp from 100 to 140 degrees. Yes, that's too hot for the fish, but bear with me.

It is turned on by water flow thru the heater. So, I was thinking of putting a thermostat in the tank that would turn on or off a submerged pump that would push water thru the heater, effectively turning it on and off. It doesn't have to be much of a flow, I believe the new heaters will turn on at as little as 1/2 gpm. That way the thermostat in the tank governs how long the water heater will run due to the water flow thru the heater. The water going into the tank will be too hot, but it will mix with the tank water prety quickly. Inject the water at the bottom of the tank and it'll rise. If you have the warm water discharge going the same way as the water flow going into the tank it should help dissipate the warm water thru the tank even quicker.

That's my thoughts on it anyway. Todd Overton is using a wood fired boiler to keep the Tilapia water warm during the Texas winter, but you won't have to keep them that warm.

Insulate the top of the tank or at least the majority of the top. Less heat loss that way. Good idea on insulating the sides. Cecil did that to his tank in the basement (sides) and that helped keep heat in the water. Don't forget to insulate ALL the water holding tanks/barrels/buckets in the system, and the pipes connecting them together. Heat escapes everywhere, and the less you let escape, the less $ spent on heating.

Bruce, regarding salt. I use non-iodized table salt. Cheep stuff from whatever big box store has a sale. Buy a Hanna pocket salinity meter # HI98203. Add the salt slowly, it's better to dissolve it in a bucket and slowly add it to the water over a day or so. Don't put it in the filter to dissolve and go into the tank - you'll kill the filter

While not exactly what you are doing, some interesting reading.
using salt to transport fish

This set-up under the garage?

Last edited by esshup; 11/05/12 12:48 AM. Reason: added salt info

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ok this may be towards essup or whom ever. I tried 4 CC and 2 albino CC last spring. I got the water from the pond and filtered with a wisper cartridge filter. They all got a fungus looked like white fuzz. I bought a fungus killer not ick but something else and it was too late. I was able to keep one albino for a weed but it soon went belly up. I have had a couple of tanks and have done good with tropical fish but these pond fish are a little different. I kept the water temp a little cooler too. probably 60 degrees.

Last edited by Frozengator; 11/05/12 12:39 AM.
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: esshup
Bruce:

Here's my idea on water heating. Buy a whole house instant water heater that runs on natural gas or propane. There's a thermostat in the unit that will allow you to adjust the water temp from 100 to 140 degrees. Yes, that's too hot for the fish, but bear with me.

It is turned on by water flow thru the heater. So, I was thinking of putting a thermostat in the tank that would turn on or off a submerged pump that would push water thru the heater, effectively turning it on and off. It doesn't have to be much of a flow, I believe the new heaters will turn on at as little as 1/2 gpm. That way the thermostat in the tank governs how long the water heater will run due to the water flow thru the heater. The water going into the tank will be too hot, but it will mix with the tank water prety quickly. Inject the water at the bottom of the tank and it'll rise. If you have the warm water discharge going the same way as the water flow going into the tank it should help dissipate the warm water thru the tank even quicker.

That's my thoughts on it anyway. Todd Overton is using a wood fired boiler to keep the Tilapia water warm during the Texas winter, but you won't have to keep them that warm.

Insulate the top of the tank or at least the majority of the top. Less heat loss that way. Good idea on insulating the sides. Cecil did that to his tank in the basement (sides) and that helped keep heat in the water. Don't forget to insulate ALL the water holding tanks/barrels/buckets in the system, and the pipes connecting them together. Heat escapes everywhere, and the less you let escape, the less $ spent on heating.

Bruce, regarding salt. I use non-iodized table salt. Cheep stuff from whatever big box store has a sale. Buy a Hanna pocket salinity meter # HI98203. Add the salt slowly, it's better to dissolve it in a bucket and slowly add it to the water over a day or so. Don't put it in the filter to dissolve and go into the tank - you'll kill the filter

Raw effluent thru an instant house water heater will probably cause some issues.

The more control you have over something, the better you will maintain/manage it.

Heating and cooling still require the same BTU's from point A to B. Between point A and B is where hard stuff like insulation comes into play. It is a fixed part, but an essential part.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Bruce the colder the water the fish are in,, the less solids they will produce due to eating less food thus water changes would not have to be as frequent nor as much. As mentioned earlier I would try to have the water mostly above 50F-55F which will keep the biofilter active and the fish will feed a little better and that may result in a little fish growth or at least they will maintain good body condition over the winter.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 11/05/12 09:44 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
L
L
You will want to add the Calcium Chloride to the change water before adding it to the aquarium, and it should already be added to the aquarium water if you need it. The goal is to keep the buffering agent the same. Don't use it to rescue a crashing system (too late), but use it as a preventative measure. You may find your tap water already is "hard" and don't need to do a thing. Test your tap water for hardness, and if it is rated "moderately hard" you are good to go. If soft, you will need to add CaCL.

Note that I was using CaCL when I was using rainwater for aquarium changes. Before I got my well-water treatment system I could not figure our why my fish went nuts during water changes. Turns out they did not like the natural gas in the water (probably tough to breath that stuff). I added CaCL to the rainwater since you cannot get much softer than that. When I tried adding CaCL to my well water, I found it forced the natural gas out so I was able to back to tap water. Now my water treatment has a de-gasser built in.

My PH from my well is around 8.0, and will vary between 7.9 and 8.2. Stinky for most aquarium plants, but my fish love it.

I did not know that nitrogen fixing bacteria retire under 50F, I learn something new every day.

I would like to understand what you are doing with a filter better, tube socks... that's a new one! I hope your fish like cheese.

Lunker
Lunker
I've been using this salt in my RAS.

I don't know if it's as good as the other stuff, but it says it's all natural, derived from salt water and has no additives. You can get it at WalMart for about the same price as softener salt. It hasn't killed my fish.....yet.

Last edited by Bullhead; 11/05/12 01:46 PM.
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Bruce something like this in the 1800 watt range would be good investment if this is a longterm project for mutiple year use.
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/3033/Process-Tech-Heaters-Single-Phase

For fish oxygen demands for emrgency with pure DO. We selected this to sell. We sell a bunch of these for transportation of fish. It is kinda like George system but ready to go. I suggest you purchase form local weldign shop your oxygen cylinder. http://lakework.com/cart/index.php?p=product&id=181&parent=16

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Bruce I know you wanted to keep the water cool but if you wanted too keep a steady cool temp I know hot tub companies make in-line heaters that have a winter mode to keep above freezing and some have adjustable thermostats..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
L
L
1800W is a helluva lot of heater for 240 gallons. In my 150 to keep a 20F rise I used 2 100W heaters. One in the filter tank, one in the main tank. Of course the tank was plastic, so it already had some insulation value.

Not to scare you, but don't buy cheap water heaters. I have had two Chinese-made aquarium water heaters stick with the thermostat on, roasting all of my son's fish. Hard to explain to him when he was 4 that that awful smell was his aquarium cooking his fish.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Bruce the colder the water the fish are in,, the less solids they will produce due to eating less food thus water changes would not have to be as frequent nor as much. As mentioned earlier I would try to have the water mostly above 50F-55F which will keep the biofilter active and the fish will feed a little better and that may result in a little fish growth or at least they will maintain good body condition over the winter.

Keeping it warmer will certainly be beneficial.

Certain types of biofilters, like fixed film, will run to about freezing, just that they can get very large. My cutoff is 55F for practical purposes.

The biofilter was originally developed for municipal waste water treatment in all climates. They make some pretty big ones. The use for fish came a bit later.

I'll bet that someone about 2000 BC had one tho.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: liquidsquid
1800W is a helluva lot of heater for 240 gallons. In my 150 to keep a 20F rise I used 2 100W heaters. One in the filter tank, one in the main tank. Of course the tank was plastic, so it already had some insulation value.

Not to scare you, but don't buy cheap water heaters. I have had two Chinese-made aquarium water heaters stick with the thermostat on, roasting all of my son's fish. Hard to explain to him when he was 4 that that awful smell was his aquarium cooking his fish.

Just gotta crunch the numbers for the application and see where the watts fall.

If you are going to have valuable fish. It pays to get good stuff.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Bullhead
I've been using this salt in my RAS.

I don't know if it's as good as the other stuff, but it says it's all natural, derived from salt water and has no additives. You can get it at WalMart for about the same price as softener salt. It hasn't killed my fish.....yet.

I never looked into water softener salt. I guess I thought it had some crazy stuff in it.

I have seen where a salmon hatchery trucks in rock salt and uses a front end loader to fill up a channel that supplies the raceways from a river.

Another benefit of maintaining 2-3 ppt salt, is your fish will show better/stronger growth.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I don't think the heater is too big if there isn't an insulated top on it, and it's kept in a cold ambient environment.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I don't think the heater is too big if there isn't an insulated top on it, and it's kept in a cold ambient environment.

Even if the heater was too large for the application, it's all about control of said heater.

I wish...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: JKB

See if this link works.

Salt

Better for reference, and you'll have a copy.

It may sound like a lot of salt, but it is only initial. And you'll only do gradual additions.

None of the other links work that I wanted to put up.

Some use salt, and others don't. Each have their own success.

I'll pre-mix the salt in a separate tank, then add in increments. And good link, thanks!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Bruce:

Yes, the setup is under the garage.

I concur with the possible use of water heaters, and also the possibility of heating the entire basement. I'll be doing this eventually...but at this point I have to weigh the value of the fish (about $500) vs. the cost of the heating system. The fish also hold an emotional/psychological value, as they're my hobby, but I still have to be careful what I spend. My wife is a financial analyst and an accountant. She already rolls her eyes a little at what I do, but if I'm purchasing water heaters she might get a little "concerned". LOL.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody

I am installing an insulated hood or cover for this system this weekend. Hopefully this will allow me to gain an extra ten degrees to get into the fifties. I really hope I can achieve this, because I agree that this will allow for some real growth. It's easier to justify an entire winter's work if you can see at least a tiny bit of growth. It just "feels" better. smile

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Liquidsquid. What form is the calcium chloride in? Is it a powder? liquid? crystal? Where do you get it? A pet store?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Bullhead, I actually think I have a bag of that salt sitting around. It says "all natural", so it has to be good, right? smile

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Greg Grimes
Bruce something like this in the 1800 watt range would be good investment if this is a longterm project for mutiple year use.
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/3033/Process-Tech-Heaters-Single-Phase

For fish oxygen demands for emrgency with pure DO. We selected this to sell. We sell a bunch of these for transportation of fish. It is kinda like George system but ready to go. I suggest you purchase form local weldign shop your oxygen cylinder. http://lakework.com/cart/index.php?p=product&id=181&parent=16

The price on that is better than I anticipated when I looked it up, Greg. I may see how successful my current heaters are first. 1800W will add up a little on monthly energy bills, I'd think. Does anybody know how to calculate the monthly cost of running an 1800W heater?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bluegillerkiller
Bruce I know you wanted to keep the water cool but if you wanted too keep a steady cool temp I know hot tub companies make in-line heaters that have a winter mode to keep above freezing and some have adjustable thermostats..

Interesting you should say that. I was just wondering if you could put a heater in line with the hose that's circulating the water. I'm almost thinking I dreamt this, but I'd swear that my old hot tub heated the water on friction. Is that weird?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

Definitely putting a top on that sucker.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Cost of running that heater will depend on how long it has to runs per day or month to keep the water at the desired temp. The colder the ambient temp and the more you warm the water the more it will cost. The more insulation on the tank bottom sides and top the better it will be and the less the heater will operate.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 11/05/12 08:33 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/18/24 07:03 PM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by esshup - 04/18/24 07:01 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump