Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
macman59, jm96, flowindustrial, ksueotto58, John Folchetti
18,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,782
Members18,481
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,505
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,140
Who's Online Now
2 members (Augie, Bill Cody), 1,006 guests, and 208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted By: esshup
Earlier this year I did some checking around into the services that come out and suck the muck out of the bottom of your pond for a client. The average quote was $30/cu. yard.......

It would have been cheaper to drain, re-dig and refill.

Thanks. That's the first number I've seen to start filling out the cost sheet. I've only measured the shallow end and I'm running a consistent 1' of muck. 3.5 AC (~150,000 sq. ft) is ~150,000 cu ft (5500 cu yds) of muck. @ $30/cu yd, that's $165,000 +/-. OUCH!!!

-RFL

R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted By: Robert-NJ

To the OP,I read your thread and another involving a HOA lake they wanted to dredge/restore.To be honest if it was my property and there wasn't a nosey NIMBY neighbor etc.I might consider doing a little at a time on my own............in other words I'd tread lightly while looking into the permit process wink

I'd like to be able to approach it that way and if I can get the discharge water filtered clean enough to not alert the river keepers, it won't be a problem. All I need to do is send some silty water downstream and set of the alarms. It wouldn't take long to have a bunch of people coming upstream to find the source of the silt and that wouldn't be good.

If I can't get real clean water, I'll wind up using a settling pit and pump it back into the lake.

-RFL

Last edited by RydforLyf; 11/04/12 06:25 PM.
F
F
Originally Posted By: RydforLyf
Originally Posted By: fish n chips
RFL, here is another source for a company that does this kind of service. No machines available to buy. There is some small info on their process scattered around on their site.... service.. I just might have to give them a call sometime to see if they have done work in my area and check it out.

Interesting. It would be nice if they would show some of their equipment.

-RFL

Well, I had a chance to call these guys today. They have a daily fee that they figure by, so it is a matter of how much they get done in a day. They average a 1/4 acre 1' deep per day. All in all, the estimate for your pond would be $27,700. I also have requested for some referals. If there is anybody near me, I will check it out.

Last edited by fish n chips; 11/08/12 07:05 PM.
R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted By: RydforLyf
RFL, here is another source for a company that does this kind of service. No machines available to buy. There is some small info on their process scattered around on their site.... service.. I just might have to give them a call sometime to see if they have done work in my area and check it out.

Interesting. It would be nice if they would show some of their equipment.

-RFL

Well, I had a chance to call these guys today. They have a daily fee that they figure by, so it is a matter of how much they get done in a day. They average a 1/4 acre 1' deep per day. All in all, the estimate for your pond would be $27,700. I also have requested for some referals. If there is anybody near me, I will check it out.

Thanks for the numbers. That's better than $30/yd. but it's still a lot of $$.

-RFL

S
S
So, where are you with this project?

I keep reading that Tilapia may be a great option, especially on a bass crowded lake.

Last edited by StanV; 03/21/13 08:28 AM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Unfortunately nothing comes close to heavy equipment when it comes to removing "X" inches of muck per year out of a pond.....

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
S
I'm sure. But, the cost factor of removing muck is looking very steep, should a 3 acre + lake be the target. I'm starting to think aeration, talapia and targeted muck removal (trash pump in front of property) may be the way to approach this goo. Probably do all the mentioned for less than $4000. That's considerably less than heavy equipment for muck removal.....and no talipia.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
It all depends on the amount of muck and the amount of time you have on your hands. I don't know if Tilapia and bacteria will remove more than a couple inches per year, and that's with more than the standard stocking rate per acre of Tilapia.

For bacteria to work effeciently, there has to be sufficient oxygen levels at the bottom of the pond.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Stan, much depends on whether tilapia will remove "your" pond's muck...is it organic first off (detritus...leaves, fish poop, etc)?? If it is silt, nothing but mechanical removal will work. If organic, tilapia in the right stocking rates for the goal can and usually will remove many inches to feet in a single season, but as said in the beginning, "it depends"... on several factors that may never be predictable or even readily identifiable.

Last edited by Rainman; 03/21/13 07:59 PM.

S
S
Organic. Tree leaves, pine straw, etc.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Rex, you're up to bat! wink

www.hoosierpondpros.com

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I am not an expert on the stocking rates of Mozambique for Detritus caused muck reduction in TX tanks like Chad at Texoma Hatcheries or Todd at Overton Fish Farms are, but, from what I do know, 150-200# of Mozzies and adding a quality Vertex aeration system should knock back a foot or more of muck from detritus in a single season...quality bacteria could make it more...Once muck is reduced, lower stocking rates could be used again....PM sent

Last edited by Rainman; 03/22/13 05:51 PM.

R
OP Offline
R
Like many projects that start quickly, as long as you're only researching it, this one is on-hold while plans are formalized. Most likely, I'll be getting a 3" Wacker pump and giving the low dollar/high hour method a shot.

Since we don't live on the property, it's almost impossible to really get traction on a project project like this. I hope things will be better when we've built the house there. Of course, there will be tons of other items that would probably get higher priority.

I've got plans, just need time to implement them.

-RFL

R
OP Offline
R
As someone has mentioned before, I'm in the non-Tilapia state of Georgia, so that limits my choices.

-RFL

S
S
The issue after sucking this goo out is where to put it, hauling is a problem in and of itself. I'm researching now who'll take a load or two of this stuff, once I find where to purchase dewatering bags, then get a container delivered, then wade around in the muck with a trash pump.

I can hardly wait. The more I consider this the more I like Talapia...are they really all they're cracked up to be?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Stan:

Here's a way to figure out how much muck you have. I got this tip from a company that goes around mucking out ponds using dewatering bags. (Definately NOT a low dollar/high hour operation)

Take a 5 gallon bucket lid. Attach it to a pole. Push it down into the bottom of the pond as hard as you can. Measure the water level on the pole. Now take the same size pole and shove it down into the pond bottom at the same spot. Mark the water level. The difference is the amount of muck that you will be shooting at removing. 3/4" thick wall PVC or 1/2" steel electrical conduit can be used for the poles. Once you have that measurement, you can calculate the cubic yards of muck to be removed.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

S
S
Actually, there's another way, the way I measured when adding a swim platform to my new boat. Stepped off into lake to attach bracket and found roughly 1 1/2' of the stuff. I know how much is there, the only question is how much do I want to clear.

It's easy to see why it's so expensive to clean out.

S
S
I do see one benefit of your method, yours compressed the muck somewhat. That's got to be more accurate!

Good tip.

K
K
Hi- I've been researching the Piranha Pump mini dredge and wondered if you know of anyone in GA that has used one?

Thanks

Dwight

D
D
Has anyone used any of the options listed above?

Did they work?
How much stuff did you move?
How long did it take?

C
C
I am using both the mechanical and bacteria method. I have been using a trash pump to suck the muck up and pump it to a pond above the one I am working in then let the muck settle and drain water back to the pond. Then after I have enough in the upper pond I let it dry and remove it with my excavator and dump truck. It is not a fast process but there's forty five years of build-up that I have to remove.I also have been using an enzyme and bacteria product.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
It's a lot of work that's for sure! I use a B. Bacteria that has worked well for me. It's called C-Flo I have no attachment to them or anything just like their product and if you have time, key word is time this product has worked for me. I know I have lost 3 to 4 inches a year with this product along with my air. It's no quick fix mind you but it doesn't cost 30 or 40 grand either!! smile I have lost about 6 to 12 inches of muck in 4 years and I am only using two doses a year. I have considered going to 4 a year, but have had a lot going on so haven't yet. I think it would only help that much more. Just sharing what has worked for me! I think a product like this along with Tilapia and a good air system would be awesome I bet!!

RC

Last edited by RC51; 08/11/15 10:27 AM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jenna
Recent Posts
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by CentexSaj - 04/18/24 03:32 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Joe7328 - 04/18/24 12:48 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by Joe7328 - 04/18/24 11:49 AM
Chestnut other trees for wildlife