Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,097
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,415
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
11 members (Dylanfrely, Angler8689, Sunil, esshup, jpsdad, azteca, BillyE, H20fwler, FishinRod, Augie, PRCS), 713 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
L
Well, the worst certainly missed us, and I am very thankful! As a testament to how dry our sub-soils have been, the 2 inches of rain over 2 days only amounted to 5 new inches of water in the pond. Sort of disappointing, but the most gain I have had since April! All of the springs and creeks dried right back up after the rain passed.

I went through a bunch of effort putting in heavy liner under-layment on the pond spillway just in case to prevent washouts. Nailed it all down, put rocks on it, etc. The water is not even close to reaching it. Better safe than sorry though.

I missed the entire storm while I was in Alabama, where it was colder than at home in NY. I really wish I got to see it as I love watching a good storm. The radar was fascinating on how a large hunk of rain shot across NYS in a manner of hours in the wrong direction. My wife said it was pea-soup fog the entire time. Could not see anything of what was going on other than hearing the roaring wind and driving rain.

I really feel bad for the poor folks who wound up in the bad spots of this thing. Who would have thought WV would get all that snow while NY was 50 degrees? Crazy! (Slightly jealous, as we can deal with that).

As far as wind goes, we were not even close to some of our "normal" wind storms. We hit 40MPH peak, but it was a very rare direction from the NE. We usually get pounded on our hill in the fall with 70MPH gusts on occasion from the SW. Not a speck of wind damage for us either. My parents up further north in Webster were not so lucky, a large willow fell on their house and greenhouse smashing in many of the glass panes. He grows orchids in there, so he had to run rescue missions while tending to my mom with her ALS. I felt horrible I was too far away to help.

-LS

F
F
Here in northeast Ohio at my place we got 5" of rain thru this whole period. It has been a real slow rain overall, so its been the best it could have been. It got windy too with 60 MPH gusts, but we have had many wind storms over the past few years, so those storms had trimmed out alot of the weak stuff already.

The lake Erie shoreline got hammered pretty good. Officially had 22 foot waves and 66 mph winds. Their weather staion broke down in the midst of it, so they don't have official readings after that. But they claimed the waves were up to 30' and the wind was probably more than the 66MPH.

R
R
I'm still overseas and not sure of what is left of NJ frown The eye made landfall over my mothers and frankly it was a blessing in disguise.The only thing that kept the Cape (where I'm from)from being washed to sea was it made land fall ahead of schedule and not on the full moon high tide.Being just south of the eye saved us a few feet of water and less damaging winds then those to the north.I know of one friend whose place was a total loss and others with plenty of flood and wind damage.Thankfully everyone is safe and sound and my parents places fared ok................As far as my pond goes there are too many downed trees to get to it,surely though it is now brackish from salt water flooding frown

but thats life,the true locals from the Jersey shore are a tough bunch and will rebuild just fine in the end.We aren't strangers to big storms,while they rarely make the national news we have plenty of noreaster's to prep us for the big ones like this wink

Robert-NJ #310617 11/01/12 09:57 AM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Robert-NJ
As far as my pond goes there are too many downed trees to get to it,surely though it is now brackish from salt water flooding frown

Robert,

You might be surprised on how adaptable your pond fish are to the brackish water. Of course it depends on how much salt is in it but I have read that yellow perch and largemouth bass can be found in the brackish water of tidal basins.

CJ should be able to comment on this.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
YP are very tolerant to higher salinities. RES and PS are as well. LMB are to a lesser extent. Obviously striped bass have no issues. I have caught YP in salinities approaching 14 ppt.

R
R
My lmb are what have me concerned,but to be honest these are my last thoughts at this point in time.If the need arises I can arrange for some LARGE pumps to drain it down some and let the spring refill it to knock the salinity down.Also I need to confirm the salt water intrusion,I have to take some readings.................Time will tell on this,as there are bigger things at hand to deal with.

My main concern is getting home and helping friends and family rebuild,since the islands have been opened I've learned of a few others with major damage to where they have no place to live frown

Oh and I'm still waiting to hear on the status of my boat,they still wont let anyone on the island where my marina is.My friend on the local PD took a quick look but can't find it.............pretty much wiped the trailer park and homes away there and authorities wont let anyone in.Thankfully most of the permanent homes on that little isle are on pilings,chances are those guys are ok.But word on the street is all the boats are pretty much toast frown Again not the outcome I'd like but this is why we for pay insurance.

Again thanks for the pond support/info,but right now I'm going crazy trying to get back to the states..............I need to get there and start to help my parents customers get their claims in ASAP.

Robert-NJ #310643 11/01/12 02:50 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Robert, I don't envy your road ahead in the next few months! As long as nobody was injured, the material things can be replaced, albet it's a PITA process dealing with the insurance companies.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
L
L
Wow Robert, that sucks. Prayers go out to you, those homeless folks, and your clients that it all gets sorted out OK. Looks like the insurance company wont be buying another high-rise this year.

What I wonder is if the insurance companies will re-insure those poor folks who lost their homes if they decide to re-build on the coast. If I remember correctly, a lot of homes on the ocean in FL are no longer insurable. They built houses too expensive and in too vulnerable of places. Nobody wants the expensive total-loss risk of these clients any more.

I also hope that these families without a home will get that sorted out quickly. Does insurance typically help pay for a place to rent while homeless? I never really have looked at my policy to be honest...

K
K
The houses east of I-95 are the ones you are referring to. They have a state insurance called CITIZENS that is used on these houses. They have raised the insurance this year where the cost to insure is over 1000 dollars a month. In southwest FL. a lot of private insurance companies are cancelling many homes and forcing these people to use CITIZENS. Be careful before you buy down there. The insurance co. do pay for food and lodging but most of these claims are water related and the maximun amount of coverage is 250000 so most of these people are going to have huge losses. Flood ins. is a federal program.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Kenc,

I thought I heard with Florida, the governor at the time after the last big hurricane hit didn't allow at least one insurance company to just pull out. Seems to me it was State Farm that wanted to only insure cars and no longer homes? And the governor said if you want to insure cars you also have to insure homes?

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

K
K
We own a home in Port Charlotte and the insurance co. arepulling out, they are just cancelling homes like crazy. It is crazy down there you can rent a nice house for 800 a month. In normal times home owners was about 2000 a year now if you have to be on state policy it is 1000 a month on a modest home around 125000. It is going to be hard for the real estate market to rebound down there.

L
L
How the heck can anyone afford or justify living anywhere near the ocean then? You have to be made of sick amounts of money...

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Most states with a history of storms like this have state run ins. pools. Companies don't want that risk and they don't cover flood ins as that is a US program and only available to people in the flood zone set out by survey maps . Keep in mind that most hazard ins is subject to state regulation as to what is covered and what can be charged. If the rates don't cover the losses over time the companies pull out of that state and all the rates go up.

K
K
Cecil, I meant to say they are not pulling out just reducing their base. Sorry about that, I waged a battle with a 3 in. paint brush today and now my 18 year old bride is trying to drag me upstairs. Pray for me.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: liquidsquid
How the heck can anyone afford or justify living anywhere near the ocean then? You have to be made of sick amounts of money...

Have you seen some of those homes! grin

kenc #310716 11/01/12 08:24 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: kenc
Cecil, I meant to say they are not pulling out just reducing their base. Sorry about that, I waged a battle with a 3 in. paint brush today and now my 18 year old bride is trying to drag me upstairs. Pray for me.

No problem Ken. I just brought up something I believe I heard from my parents but wasn't sure if I got it right.

K
K
The private insurarance is cheaper on the gulf side. A lot of people that own their homes outright don't have insurarance as it would take most of their retirement funds. If you have a mortgage you are screwed without deep pockets.

Two ponds, 13 and 15 acres on the Mattaponi River.
R
R
I've been out of the insurance business for a few years now(just keep my licenses current) but looks like I might be going back sooner then I cared too.I suspect quite a few properties will not be up for renewal after the dust settles on this one and it is going to be a PITA to find them coverage.

Liquidsquid...........a typical homeowners will cover living and property preservation costs,this is the biggest concern for our clients at this time.But to be honest it doesnt cover all of it.

Thankfully most of the county that was affected has flood through FEMA and as for the ones who can't find a carrier NJ's FAIR plan while basic coverage is affordable.Also anyone we write through the NJ program we offer a self insurance option to cover it's shortfalls. such as theft etc.

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Back in the 80's, I owned (absentee) a little motel on the Gulf of the FL panhandle. Twice (within about 8 months) during the 10 years that I owned it, it got gutted by hurricanes. The entire contents of all rooms were destroyed, but the structures were ok. I couldn't get regular insurance, but got some thru the Government - I think the carrier was Siebles -Bruce. Don't know if they are still around or not, but they treated me fairly...

Just do it...
R
R
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/11/forecast_models_show_potential.html

This could really make things get ugly frown These storms pack a punch and with all the erosion from sandy there is nothing left to defend against a storm like this.The storm of 62 that was the worst in recent history(before sandy) was a nor'easter.

Robert-NJ #310977 11/04/12 11:43 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Pack everything up into containers and go on vacation 'till the Spring?

I hope for the people there that it won't be bad, but unfortunately weather is one thing that we can't control.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
esshup #310984 11/04/12 12:11 PM
R
R
Originally Posted By: esshup
Pack everything up into containers and go on vacation 'till the Spring?

I'm already there sitting on my terrace 100 meters from the black sea in shorts and a t shirt with a glass of scotch wink

I just got off the phone with my father because I was trying to get a flight home,but my dad said what for,what's done is done,not much you can do here.His words where save the 4-5k for a tickets and put it towards a new boat and the kitchen my wife wanted.....I have wanted a diesel boat for some time now lol

F
F
My wife just talked to her kids out in NJ. Things are not good there. I won't get into details, but it is the usuall stuff. They live not to far from Seaside heights, but not in the most tragic area either. They told us of all the things the media is leaving out. I was wondering if bad stuff was going on, because the media sure does seem to be keeping it quite compared to other times/situations.

R
R
fish n chips i sent you a pm...........any info is greatly appreciated

thanks

Robert

L
L
It is an election year, all news is suspect.

Ugh. My poor state! I am bummed though, that Nor'easter is a insult on injury. Not going to hit us (I kinda wish it would, and spare them!), but you cannot have a meaner set of events. Cold and rain or even snow in an unheated home full of holes and already wet/damp.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 05:33 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 04:51 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by BillyE - 03/28/24 04:35 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass