Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (jludwig, Donatello, catscratch, DrLuke, esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk), 844 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#310163 10/26/12 03:26 PM
T
Tums Offline OP
OP Offline
T
One is a 8" deepwell that can pump 438 GPM of water that is between 65 to 70 degrees year round. I also feel like being able to keep water temps closer to the more productive range allow me to achieve more growth.
The other is a modified Berkley irrigation pump. This little luxury pumps well over a 1000 GPM. With a solid 4" line pumping water out at around 20 mph I can make currents. It is amazing how some fish will come to life and feed when currents are present.

Attached Images
pump.jpg well.jpg
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Currents can be essential in fish growth/health.

It's a pretty complicated issue, but you are noticing a few things based on your trials. Keep it going!

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
A while back, Bruce posted a picture of a manifold shooting 4 steams of water into his pond. I think he did this to establish a current around the bank of his pond. Maybe he'll see this post and chime in.

Just do it...
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
The ability to move water and control temps in a pond are outstanding tools to have and use. It helps with water quality and fish feeding and growth.. We have had topics at the PB conv on systems that move water like that and the results.

Tums, have you checked to see the natural current in your pond due to wind and natural heating? I found that my pond has a current at all times. I assumed it was because of the wind and differential heating. I did the calculations and figured out that nature was providing me with several (greater than 10) HP worth of energy input at times. I never saw less than 1HP worth of energy sturing the pond due to nature.

BTW, my pond is more like 10 acres and it is aligned with the natural wind patterns.

Eric could you please add a brief synopsis from the past

And yes, I'm a geek...

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: highflyer
Tums, have you checked to see the natural current in your pond due to wind and natural heating? I found that my pond has a current at all times.

My main pond has constant current too.

It has a lot to do with the 500,000 volt powerline that goes directly over it.

grin grin crazy

Actually, we do have a lot of natural water currents too. Like High Flyer's, we have constant wind. Except when iced over, we never even have a thermocline. The water is always moving.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
That's a bunch of current, Ken!

A couple day's ago, I had to assist my boss measuring for underground mains to a pretty big factory. The existing transformer is the size of my truck! He walks up in a million volt alien suit, and shoves the mouse into the conduit. (He crawled inside the thing without a worry!)

It's pouring rain, and I am totally drenched. (flannel absorbs water) I'm two feet from the nasty stuff, standing in mud, holding a spool of nylon measuring line with a screw driver as a spindle.

He walks back to turn on the vacuum, and yells out "Don't Fall"! Yep!!!

I'll stick with programming wink

Last edited by JKB; 10/28/12 11:06 AM.
F
F
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
Tums, have you checked to see the natural current in your pond due to wind and natural heating? I found that my pond has a current at all times.

My main pond has constant current too.

It has a lot to do with the 500,000 volt powerline that goes directly over it.

grin grin crazy

Actually, we do have a lot of natural water currents too. Like High Flyer's, we have constant wind. Except when iced over, we never even have a thermocline. The water is always moving.

Catmandoo: Have you ever noticed any peculiar differences with your pond and the power lines? I don't mean for this question to get out of control in a controversial way. I have a place on my property that has lines going over, and it would be a perfect place to put a small pond. I have wondered if there would be any side effects from it. I don't want to go thru all the work of pond-building to find out there are issues with the lines.

Last edited by fish n chips; 10/28/12 11:29 AM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I've never noticed anything particular. We've now been here almost eight years.

Yes, I have some fish that don't look like the ones from the local streams and lakes, but I like to think of that as due to the pond management lessons I've learned on Pond Boss. My chickens live almost under the power lines. They seem as normal as any chickens I've known in my lifetime. Their eggs don't glow.

There are some things that are a little disconderting. My flyreel sparks inside when I'm using it directly under the powerlines. My flyrod and my 16-foot jigging rod, both carbon, hum when I'm under the power lines -- and I can draw arcs from the rod eyes to my fingers under certain conditions. We learned a long time ago not to walk in the grass in that area with sandles or flip-flops -- the grass will really give your feet a tickle.

I've learned not to lean on a truck or other vehicle parked under the power lines. If you lean into an open truck window, it will really thrill your elbows. I've learned to grab the streering wheel of my tractor to pull myself onto it -- not grabbing the metal handles on the metal fenders.

Our house, which is about 150 feet away from the power line, has a standing-seem steel roof. Under certain conditions, like during a very wet snow on the ground, it sounds like a bulldozer idling far off in the distance when we are in our living room or front bedroom. I can go outside at night, walk onto the dock with a 4-foot fluourscent lamp, and it will glow.

But, other than that, nothing unusual. I was as crazy before we moved here as I am today. I have some really giant earthworms that live in the compost piles under the power lines, but they also live in the compost piles several hundred feet away from the powerlines. My garden seems to grow normally. If anything, I grow the best horseradish under the power lines that I've grown anywhere.

They are presently rebuilding this line to increase it capacity by 50%. The towers will be about 30 feet higher. We'll see what happens.

In general, I've not seen any real downsides. I have about five acres under this powerline. I keep most of it brush hogged, which I usually do only once a year, in mid-August. What I can't maintain because of terrain, is kept cleared by the power company. They know not to spray anywhere near any of the water on our property. The right-of-way passes through dense hardwood forest on both sides. It is an incredible nursery in the spring and summer. Just about every furry, feathered, and amphibious critter that lives in the Appalacian mountains seems to want to raise their babies here, where they have open area, water, and lots of cover near by. (I keep lots of brush piles on the edges for the critters to hide in.)

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Cat, that's very interesting. Thanks for the info. Didn't you have an issue with the power company about 3-4 years ago? If it's on-going or you just don't want to talk about it - no problem...
Randy

Just do it...
F
F
Thanks Catmandoo. One thing that just occured to me when you talked about the fishing pole. I will have to take a look and see how low the wires are there. Sure wouldn't want to have someone throw a line up into them. Its right in the middle of the two towers where the line is the lowest. They would have to actually be trying to accomplish this, but we all know how that goes!

Lately I have been getting a little bit of a static shock when I am on the farm tractor. I will have to pay attention and see if this is when I'm near the lines. I was thinking that it was a combination of certain clothes that I was wearing during that day. Thanks for the heads up on that. I do know that when it is humid/drizzly weather, there is a good crackling up there that makes it a bit eerie.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: rmedgar
Cat, that's very interesting. Thanks for the info. Didn't you have an issue with the power company about 3-4 years ago? If it's on-going or you just don't want to talk about it - no problem...
Randy

Randy,

I certainly don't mind talking about it. Yes, it went on for a number of years.

Unfortunately, it may just become a subject that us moderators have to watch very closely, as parts of it may be quite controversial. I would ask all who read this, to read it with an open mind, and to not turn it nasty or deroggatory. If it starts to get controversial or political, I'll be the first one to help shut it down and get rid of all posts past this one, and including this one.

For us, it all started five years ago this month, when I received what I thought was a "junk" phone call from a negotiator from the threatening power company. It had actually started about six years ago -- more about that below.

About 20 months ago, we really thought we were gonners from this place. We were sick to our bones over what was happening, and there was virtually nothing we could do. We could not get any hard numbers from the power company, but it appeared that we would lose this place to emminent domain. We couldn't buy another place. Because of being in the middle of the huge economic downturn, it appeared we were going to lose far more than our entire net worth. We would basically be bankrupt in our early 60s, without a home, and without the money to buy another place. It really took a toll on our health.

Our adjacent neighbor went banckrupt due to this. He was in his mid-30s, and he and his wife were in the midst of a divorce. They couldn't hold out. The particular power company that was threatening us, bought their property for the owed taxes. It had been in his family for generations. Now, for over two years, this property is just vacant and has a deteriorating house. The property has become an eyesore at the entrance to our property. It has become a dumping ground for things like like tires, big appliances , etc. It has become public property that no one controls. The county will not step in due to funding, and they don't have the power to make the absentee out-of-state non-traditional landonwers clean it up. So, the tires and trash build up.

About 20 months ago, a number of things happened, all at once. It was kind of like the moon and stars all aligned. We had nothing to do with it. However, we had scheduled a major pow-wow here that included people like Bob Lusk and Todd LaNeve to see what we could salvage.

The Thursday before our scheduled gathering, the threatening power company cancelled the project. This threatening power company basically disappeared overnight, leaving us all in the lurch, and with lots of uncollectable bills, and with no one to go after. They finally dissolved all parts of the corporation about three months ago.

The purpose of the threatening power company was to build several coal-fired power plants in Southern West Virginia to supply cheap power, from unscrubbed coal, to Northern New Jersey. None of the generated power was intended for WV, VA, MD, DEL, or PA. The powerlines would run through each of these states, before entering NJ.

Part of the decision to pull out was based on the incumbant power company's plans to completely rebuild the powerline that has existed since the 1960s. That got the regulators attention. The original power company has been building enormous numbers of wind farms between Sunil's pond and our pond for a number of years. They have also significantly modernized their coal-fired power plants west of where I live, and just south of Sunil's.

The final straw was Google getting involved. Google decided to build a massive undersea infrature, tens of miles off the east coast. It ranges from Norfolk to northern New Jersey. When complete, it will move all and distribute many different kinds electric power throughout the mid-Atlantic area, without the need to purchase massive amounts of inland land for wires.

Then there is Marcellous Shale. It too is rather controversial, and a somewhat hot subject around here. Underneath NY, PA, Ohio, WV and a few other states, there is an incredibly massive amount of natural gas that is being tapped. It too is planned to provide power.

So, with all that --

The original power company is rebuilding the 1960s power line. New towers. New lines. New power sources.

Because of the horrible reputation of the other power company, this power company has been extremely respectful and helpful to landowners, such as us. Their line covers a swath about 150 x 1200 feet across our property. They have put up fencing and gates to prevent trespassers. They come and talk to us before they do anything significant on our property. If we have issues, we have always been able to come to reasaonable compromises.

I think things can work. I don't know what will happen when they switch over to the new lines.

Worst case, I'm looking forward to glow-in-the-dark monster fish that are easy to catch. If they don't affect my health for at least 20 years -- great!

As my 88 year old father-in-law recently sent to me for my birthday, via his I-Pad -- "May the beer be cold -- you are old!"

Currently yours,
Ken

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: fish n chips
One thing that just occured to me when you talked about the fishing pole. I will have to take a look and see how low the wires are there. Sure wouldn't want to have someone throw a line up into them. Its right in the middle of the two towers where the line is the lowest. They would have to actually be trying to accomplish this, but we all know how that goes!

I've actually hit the 500,000 volt lines, more than a few times, with my fly line. Nothing bad happened, but I've gotten a lot more cautious.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ken, when the new lines are operational, you probably could put lights on your pond and get free electricity.....

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I certainly thought about it. But, Wally-World had some incredible $4.99 solar LED flood lights earlier this year. I bought a number of them. 'tis even better than trying to figure out how to steal a few watts here and there.

Shocking!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I didn't even consider you to be stealing a few watts, I thought that by placing just a few 4' fluorescent bulbs out by the dock, you'd have enough light. wink

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Catmandoo
Well I guess I can't come fish with ya ever, Not with what they put in me a month ago. Dr. Says those are not good for a pacemaker. LOL

Man I feel for the guy across from you. Interesting story. I used to live by some smaller ones. I hunted right under them. Kind of makes it hard to hear the deer though.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I also have an electrical transmission line going over a part of my property. It was there when I bought the place 30 years ago. I've never noticed a problem. It's one of our best hunting spots.

I do recall hearing, many years ago, to never build a barbed wire fence that runs under and/or parallel to it.

I once parked under it in a cabover camper that I had on my pickup. I figured that I could wake up in the morning and hunt out the window. There were a lot of weird noises during the night that I kept going outside to investigate.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
So anyhow, I have found that current, horizontal or vertical in a body of water is the best fish attractor on the planet!

Even in the Ocean we fish where and when water moves...

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Here are a couple pics showing what highflyer is talking about.

Destratification study in 27 ft deep lake in Italy - a company from Italy displayed in the Sept 2010 Expo. See the blue unit to the right near shore. Mario came from Italy to do the show.

Last edited by ewest; 10/29/12 09:53 AM.

T
Tums Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted By: JKB
Currents can be essential in fish growth/health.

It's a pretty complicated issue, but you are noticing a few things based on your trials. Keep it going!

Could not agree more. I actually started the current thing in the mid 90's. It was as a by product of trying to raise 5000 HBG per acre. I started moving water to aerate and noticed the HBG got real agressive and would feed like crazy (basically a feeding frenzy) on what ever was avaiable. I started casting hookless lures to the fish and started catching some of them. The fish where so agressive they would hit the lure sometimes and hold it all the way in. Kind of like the Black Sea Bass does during certain times of year when they get agressive. I then started thinking and had that DUHH moment remembering all the different species of fish I always went to catch fishing during the Dam generation schedule. This was a practice I that I have since used in the warmer months that actually served as intened to aerate and very beneficial unintended feeding agressiveness to stimulate growth. I noticed in the 3 acre pond that is also seems to have the biggest effect on growth rates during the first 2 to 3 years of a fishes life.

T
Tums Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted By: rmedgar
A while back, Bruce posted a picture of a manifold shooting 4 steams of water into his pond. I think he did this to establish a current around the bank of his pond. Maybe he'll see this post and chime in.

I am going to have to find that one. I am interested to see what benefits he is getting.

T
Tums Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted By: ewest
The ability to move water and control temps in a pond are outstanding tools to have and use. It helps with water quality and fish feeding and growth.. We have had topics at the PB conv on systems that move water like that and the results.

I would concur. I noticed the temp and current combined with a good management plan can produce alot of growth particularly in the first 2 to 3 years of a fishes life. I also started using dye for coloring due to aquatic growth in the winter months with clear water at deeper depths. When I did this I found that a heavier concentration of dye would block out the sunlight as intended and also a unintened use. It raised my pond temp a few degrees by solar heating while experiencing the same climate data as previous years. The well has an added benefit as that you can do this up to the last minute and then flush the dye just in enough time to ferterlize for spring growth. I lost alot of notes / data that where very valuable to me in that house fire several years ago. I often wonder lately if someone had seen some of what I have done and misused that information.

Last edited by Tums; 10/29/12 02:29 PM.
T
Tums Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Tums, have you checked to see the natural current in your pond due to wind and natural heating? I found that my pond has a current at all times. I assumed it was because of the wind and differential heating. I did the calculations and figured out that nature was providing me with several (greater than 10) HP worth of energy input at times. I never saw less than 1HP worth of energy sturing the pond due to nature.

BTW, my pond is more like 10 acres and it is aligned with the natural wind patterns.

Eric could you please add a brief synopsis from the past

And yes, I'm a geek...

Yes, I do have a natural light current in the 3 acre pond that varies depending on the prevailing winds. I also own a smaller pond just over .5 acre with an avergae depth of 8 ft. This pond has alot more natural current as it fills naturally with spring water in around 72 hrs.. The water flow there sure does make it a great place to put a 1000 CCatfish from time to time. Fish taste great due to water turnover and are pretty easy to catch in such a small area. I have toyed with idea of putting in some rainbow trout (which is odd for South Alabama) in the .5 due to the cooler summer temps..

T
Tums Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted By: n8ly
So anyhow, I have found that current, horizontal or vertical in a body of water is the best fish attractor on the planet!

Even in the Ocean we fish where and when water moves...

I agree with that. I grew up fishing tail races behind dams during power generation and Saltwater fishing in the Gulf Of Mexico.

As Far as the High voltage current I just have the regular power current lines. I enjoyed the read. wink
Cat glad things seem to be going your way.

Last edited by Tums; 10/29/12 01:30 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images