Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
1 members (anthropic), 750 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
NICE fish Tony!

If I had the time and the pond space, I'd like to see what Female RES/Male Condello BG would look like in a couple years.

How about Male Condello Strain bluegill X Female, feed trained RES? Working on it furiously for 2013.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Shup I wish I could just get my hands on some of the CSBG.. I might have to give selecting breeding a shot.. They'd be SSBG Or BGSS.. Schlemer strain not super sport lol..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello
Originally Posted By: esshup
NICE fish Tony!

If I had the time and the pond space, I'd like to see what Female RES/Male Condello BG would look like in a couple years.

How about Male Condello Strain bluegill X Female, feed trained RES? Working on it furiously for 2013.

Bruce, let me know how it turns out. I think it's a great cross.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
And Bruce let me know when you get overnight shipping service to distribute your fish smile

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Sometime within the next few days I am going to give my final thoughts on GG and Ken, good and bad. Most don't know me (don't post much anymore) but I have been GG biggest fan. This has been discussed for years, sometimes heatly. EWEST drops his coffee in his lap when he sees GG in a post.
BTW Dave will get all three grandgirls all this weekend, better make boiled peanuts
Bill

Last edited by Bill Duggan; 10/25/12 08:36 PM.
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Just a few minutes talking with Bruce at the conference has me allocating cage space for feed training RES this upcoming spring......

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Dang guess google brought up a contrversial topic. The thread got me hook, line, and sinker. Glad I got you guys to keep in line. Thanks!

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
I'm just wondering if Debra is still posting on this site? Or if she is still working with the GG's? Very intellegent person with a strong backbone!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Just a few minutes talking with Bruce at the conference has me allocating cage space for feed training RES this upcoming spring......

Ya see, going to the conference was a good thing after all! wink grin

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Ok, here we go. Some of this post is facts, but most is my opinion , guesses or second hand information.
Background, build a 3.5 acre pond on family land in Putnam Co Ga about 10 years ago. I had heard of GG and Ken through friends and family members who had stocked GG. Everything I was told was good. Caught a 2+ pound GG in a friends pond and I was sold. Started calling Ken for advice. Did he push GG? Yep. Then I found Pond Boss"s old message board and posted about GG and heard nothing but bad things. Decided to play it safe and stock bluegill/RES combo. Called the order in to Ken (he sell GG and other bream at the same price) and in 15 minutes he had me talked back into GG. Called himself the most hated man in the fish business, that eveyone lied about him and his fish. Stocked 2500 GG. GG were delivered by truck. Went to the hatchery three time to pick fish up. CC,LMB and HS. Each time picked them up Saturday morning which is their most busy times so usually had a couple hour wait. I guess because Ken and I had talked so much I sat with him waiting. A interesting man, a natural saleman. Someone who did not do their research could end up with a pond overloaded with fish. Also a very sick man even back then

The good about GG. Fast growth rate, mine were a pound, in one year, one and one half pounds in year two. Very aggressive, easy to catch, maybe to easy. Pond did not fill up with green sunfish. Never saw what I though were F-2's Also I added CNB later.

The bad about GG. Same as the good they are aggressive, they will drive you crazy when you fish for LMB. Any lure you fish with, because of their large mouth, they will hit. Goal large LMB, this is not your fish

Here we get into second hand information. I was told by an employee of Ken's I knew fairly well that only Ken and his son Jason knew the secret lineage of GG but it was 5 different fish. Personally I don't believe that is true. Some people think it is the standard cross and everything else is just marketing hype. Pure guess on my part but I think it is the standard cross with a little RES mixed in plus Ken doing a good job with his brood stock.

Ken thought you should stock 5000 GG per acre airate and feed grow monster GG's and in 5 years pull the plug and start over. No question there was a lot of hype to Ken. Hogzilla ring a bell. This was not my or my wallet's goal and he sold me what I wanted.

Two long time Pond Boss posters had bad experiences dealing with Ken the last few years before he passed away, Don't know why and will not speculate other than I do not question the posters stories.

I assume Jason is now running Ken's but a web site is a shell to what it used to be so I don't know how viable the business is. We use to have a new poster every few month ask about Ken, that does not happen much now.

Sold my farm about 5 years ago so can not give an update on the GG.

If I was starting over would I stock GG, probably not, but if I did it would be low numbers stocked along with CNB and RES.

Last edited by Bill Duggan; 10/26/12 08:10 AM.
T
T
Originally Posted By: Bill Duggan
Ok, here we go. Some of this post is facts, but most is my opinion , guesses or second hand information.
Background, build a 3.5 acre pond on family land in Putnam Co Ga about 10 years ago. I had heard of GG and Ken through friends and family members who had stocked GG. Everything I was told was good. Caught a 2+ pound GG in a friends pond and I was sold. Started calling Ken for advice. Did he push GG? Yep. Then I found Pond Boss"s old message board and posted about GG and heard nothing but bad things. Decided to play it safe and stock bluegill/RES combo. Called the order in to Ken (he sell GG and other bream at the same price) and in 15 minutes he had me talked back into GG. Called himself the most hated man in the fish business, that eveyone lied about him and his fish. Stocked 2500 GG. GG were delivered by truck. Went to the hatchery three time to pick fish up. CC,LMB and HS. Each time picked them up Saturday morning which is their most busy times so usually had a couple hour wait. I guess because Ken and I had talked so much I sat with him waiting. A interesting man, a natural saleman. Someone who did not do their research could end up with a pond overloaded with fish. Also a very sick man even back then

The good about GG. Fast growth rate, mine were a pound, in one year, one and one half pounds in year two. Very aggressive, easy to catch, maybe to easy. Pond did not fill up with green sunfish. Never saw what I though were F-2's Also I added CNB later.

The bad about GG. Same as the good they are aggressive, they will drive you crazy when you fish for LMB. Any lure you fish with, because of their large mouth, they will hit. Goal large LMB, this is not your fish

Here we get into second hand information. I was told by an employee of Ken's I knew fairly well that only Ken and his son Jason knew the secret lineage of GG but it was 5 different fish. Personally I don't believe that is true. Some people think it is the standard cross and everything else is just marketing hype. Pure guess on my part but I think it is the standard cross with a little RES mixed in plus Ken doing a good job with his brood stock.

Ken thought you should stock 5000 GG per acre airate and feed grow monster GG's and in 5 years pull the plug and start over. No question there was a lot of hype to Ken. Hogzilla ring a bell. This was not my or my wallet's goal and he sold me what I wanted.

Two long time Pond Boss posters had bad experiences dealing with Ken the last few years before he passed away, Don't know why and will not speculate other than I do not question the posters stories.

I assume Jason is now running Ken's but a web site is a shell to what it used to be so I don't know how viable the business is. We use to have a new poster every few month ask about Ken, that does not happen much now.

Sold my farm about 5 years ago so can not give an update on the GG.

If I was starting over would I stock GG, probably not, but if I did it would be low numbers stocked along with CNB and RES.

This pretty well goes along with my expirence with GG also. MY F1 GG provided what I expected which was some 3# class of fish with alot also between 2 to 3#. I (like you) sat and talked with Ken on Saturdays while picking up fish. Seemed like a real nice person that was a salemen for his business. I can say what I was sold I was not lied to about. I never really heard any complaints about Kens until later in his life (after y2k), I often wonder if his health had anything to with it and he could not keep up with the daily grind. The problem I had with my order the 3#'s came from was my fault and Ken worked with me on it. My fault is how I wound up with 5000 fish per acre. I would not be suprised if my results caused Ken into doing a 5000 per acre trial somehwere else. I often tell people that ask that my opinion is the GG is for short term large fish and not long term stability. I do not try and sell them to people, but I also do not tell people to stay away. I am not like some People and have a BIASED opinion. I know plenty of people in my area that are satisfied with the product. So I simply just lay out the ups and downs and let the pond owner make the decision.

Last edited by Tums; 10/26/12 08:35 AM.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Originally Posted By: hang_loose
I'm just wondering if Debra is still posting on this site? Or if she is still working with the GG's? Very intellegent person with a strong backbone!

Not active anymore and was let go by the company/Ken last info I have.

Last edited by ewest; 10/26/12 09:02 AM.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
The assistant fisheries biologist for my district here in Indiana is, or at least was, named Debra King.. Don't know if she's still there, or even if it's the same person, but I've often wondered about shooting her an e-mail.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Thanks Bill. Always good to have you post. Hope you get a new place/pond soon.

T
T
Originally Posted By: ewest

That is a pic of what the pond owner said was an F1 GG (2nd generation GG). It was born about 10 mths after the first fish (GG) went in to a new pond. There were also some normal looking GG and a few more like the one above.

Just so you know the F1 is the original fish delivered from the hatchery. The fish in the picture could only be an F2 at best being born 10 months later. GG reproduce as early as 3 to 5" so it could actually be the by product of 2 F2's mating. I never have been fond of anything after the F1 delivered fish.

T
T
Not active anymore and was let go by the company/Ken last info I have.

Glad to of you are no longer making post saying she probaly left the company because of the way people she worked treated people.

Last I heard she was using her biology training in a different field. IMO she got tired of the people she worked for doing to her what was done to Bruce..

After owning a few web sites in the past I always encouraged my Moderators to respond in a manner that respesented value with an Unbiased opinion.

Last edited by Tums; 10/26/12 09:48 AM.
T
T
Originally Posted By: Tums
After owning a few web sites in the past I always encouraged my Moderators to respond in a manner that respesented value with an Unbiased opinion.

Not stuff like this from Moderators.
Originally Posted By: Sunil
As honorable as Deb's efforts may have been, she could not feed the same baloney to the forum here that Holyoke fed to the unwary clients who knew no better. While I believe Deb wanted to give as much information to the forum as she could, I firmly believe she was not allowed to do so by Holyoke; more importantly, I don't think she really knew much about it herself. Best of luck to her in whatever she does.

Having got what I wanted from the GG Moderator posting like that makes me wonder if I sent Bob (aka Pond Boss) any business what would happen. It is easy for something to be represented as something it is not in modern society. My take is it always to be unbiased as possible and let the cards fall where they may. Put up the ups and downs. Even offer your opinion. But do not offer speculation and accusation.

Last edited by Tums; 10/26/12 09:56 AM.
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Deja Vu.

T
T
Deja Vu.

It is not Deja Vu. I do not send people to Kens. However I will not be sending people to Bob (aka pond boss) either since his people mis represent something that I know can be productive in the right situation. I am trying to get people to realize that the Majority of the truth lies between 2 different perspective. I do not think anyone is going to grow a 5# fish. I also do not think people are going to see alot of the genetic defected fish that has also been used on post dating back for 4 years.

Last edited by Tums; 10/26/12 10:18 AM.
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Not meant as a personal inference, Tums. Only that this topic seems to display an unfortunate, emotional context. Having been around here for awhile, I do experience a sense of Deja Vu whenever it comes up.

No offense to you, or anyone else intended.

T
T
Originally Posted By: Tums
Deja Vu.

It is not Deja Vu. I do not send people to Kens. However I will not be sending people to Bob (aka pond boss) either since his people mis represent something that I know can be productive in the right situation.

BTW this has no effect on either Kens or Bob as both got more work than than they need from my understanding. See both have actually provided results to enough people that where satisfied that they do not need anything I would send them.

T
T
Not meant as a personal inference, Tums. Only that this topic seems to display an unfortunate, emotional context. Having been around here for awhile, I do experience a sense of Deja Vu whenever it comes up.

No offense to you, or anyone else intended.

Sorry I took it wrong Sprkplg. I thought you meant I was taking a side when I am neutral.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Well, Tums, Holyoke took great advantage of those who didn't know anything about stocking ponds, and I stand by my comment that you quoted above, exactly as it is written.

I'm glad you had a good experience; did you also stock the recommended number of hybrid striped bass (as I recall, I don't think Deb even knew that those were HSB), and did you use the chemicals that Holyoke pushed?

I know of plenty of people who were ripped off by Holyoke, and I do know that plenty of people got educated through Pond Boss about how not to be ripped off by Holyoke, and how to use GG's without getting ripped off.

Regarding how you expect forum moderators to conduct themselves on forums you've owned....being unbiased, etc., we are not constrained by those same rules at Pond Boss, but thank you all the same for your input.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I can't see why were still talking about this for one the quality is no longer there and seems to have been gone since first grown.. There's no need for us too get all bent out of shape.. If there was documentation and proof of certain fish being GG maybe we could speculate if we knew the make up we could experiment.. But we know nothing except hear-say.. I think it's time to put GG to rest on pondboss smile

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
The popcorn is burning!

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails